With another school year well under way, I want to highlight two resources we have made available for local educators:
- Contra Costa Tobacco-Use Prevention Education (TUPE) Monthly Themes, accompanied by fast facts, resources, and activities! Click here to view all the 2016-17 themes.
- Professional development opportunities this fall include new sessions on human trafficking and mental health. Click here for the complete list of topics and dates.
More information is available below. As always, please contact me if you have any questions. I can be reached by
or by phone at (925) 942-5328.
Contra Costa County Office of Education
TUPE Monthly Themes
Tobacco is a drug too!
- California State Health Officer's Report
- Cigarillo Use Among Teens PDF
- CDC Cigar Facts
Click here to view all the 2016-17 monthly themes!
In case you missed it, September's theme is "Stop calling it vapor!" To learn more about e-cigarettes/vape pens and adolescent use, register to attend an upcoming workshop.
Fall Professional Development
We have a lot of incredible opportunities planned this fall! Click on a training topic for more information and to register to attend.
Registration Now Open
Save the Dates
- *NEW* School Climate & Student Engagement Series - Attendance Awareness - Wednesday, November 2
- Brief Intervention for Substance Using Adolescents - November 15
|2016 Attendance Awareness Poster Contest
Here is an opportunity for students to use creativity to tell us why "Every School Counts: Attend today, Achieve for a lifetime!"
Students fall behind when they miss too much school, even if it is just a day or two every few weeks. School success goes hand-in-hand with good attendance.
Poster Theme: "School is your first and most important job!"
Open to students in Grades 6-12
Deadline: Friday, October 28, 2016, 5:00 p.m.
Winning posters will receive $100 and artwork will appear on local transit buses around the county!
We hope you enjoyed this month's
Health & Wellness Matters
e-newsletter! If you have suggestions for future articles or resources to share, contact
CCCOE Educational Services
Emily Justice, M.A., Manager, Tobacco Use Prevention Education
Pamela Comfort, Ed.D.,
Pam Tyson, Ph.D., Director, Educational Services
Contra Costa County Tobacco Prevention Coalition Meeting
Monday, September 19
Contra Costa County Comprehensive Sex Education Network
Thursday, September 22
10 am - 12 pm
Willow Creek Center
Questions about an upcoming meeting? Contact Emily for more information.
| Useful Resources
Information, Upcoming Trainings, & Resources
Project ALERT has published a new marijuana supplement, that includes information and facts for educators and young people.