Last Thursday, more than 100 volunteers gave their time for the Dallas County Democratic Party Meals on Wheels Day. In teams of two, we delivered meals to over 300 elderly and disabled citizens in our community who were unable to leave their homes. Meals on Wheels is a program on which so many rely. However, Donald Trump is trying to cut all federal funding to the program. I say shame on him.
Trump knows that the money to pay for tax cuts for the wealthiest 1% of Americans has to come from somewhere, so he wants even more cuts to the programs that really have made America great. He wants to cut $12.6 billion from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services and $9 billion from the U.S. Department of Education. Here are ten programs he wants to eliminate completely:
- Instruction State Grants program, the second-largest federal program to assist local education programs.Community development and affordable housing programs.
- The 21st Century Community Learning Centers program, which supports before and after-school programs and summer programs.
- Community development block grants that help fund Meals on Wheels.
- The Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
- McGovern-Dole International Food for Education program.
- National Endowment for the Arts.
- National Endowment for the Humanities.
- United States Interagency Council on Homelessness.
- United States Institute of Peace.
We are fighting back with our phones, our feet and our hearts. Not only are we resisting Trump's agenda by putting pressure on elected officials with phone banks and rallies, we are also doing practical things to help the people in Dallas County who depend on many of the services Trump wants to eliminate.
Join us for one or more of these community projects:
- Dallas County Democratic Party School Supply Drive, August 7-24: Bring school supplies for DISD students to 4209 Parry Avenue on week days between the hours of 10am and 4pm.
- Dallas County Democratic Party Toiletry Drive for Homeless Women August 7-29: Bring toiletries to 4209 Parry Avenue on week days between the hours of 10am and 4pm.
- Dallas County Democratic Party Meals on Wheels Day, August 16: Meet at 10:30 am at the VNA Building at 1440 West Mockingbird Lane to help distribute food.
- Dallas County Democratic Party & State Representative Eric Johnson team up at the MLK Back to School Fest, August 25, 11am to 2pm, MLK Recreation Center 2901 Pennsylvania Avenue.
- Dallas County Democratic Party Habitat for Humanity Day: Details to be announced soon.
The battle to take back our country starts right here in Dallas County. We need your help. Join us. We are standing together to change this country for the better.
Other ways to help:
Carol Donovan, DCDP Chair