Some readers see this part of your email after the subject line in the inbox. Write something brief and catchy, compelling them to open the email.

Our annual comprehensive tax checklist is designed to help you accumulate relevant information in advance of preparing your personal tax return. 
A. Information for All Clients
B. Questions To Answer
C. Additional Information for New Clients
D. Planning Points
Compare your information with last year's tax return to insure you have received all the slips. YOU are responsible to insure that your return is complete.

A. Information for All Clients
1. All information slips such as T3, T4, T4A, T4A(OAS), T4A(P), T4E, T4PS, T4RIF, T4RSP, 
    T5, T10, T2200, T2202, T101, T1163, T1164, TL11A, B, C and D; T5003, T5007, T5008,
    T5013, T5018 (Subcontractors), RC62 and corresponding provincial slips.
2. Details of other income no T-slips have been received such as:

  • other employment income (including stock option plans and Election Form T1212),
  • business income (farming and fishing businesses have special rules), partnership income, and rental income, (all revenues and expenses)
    alimony, separation allowances, child maintenance (including divorce agreement),
  • pensions (certain pension income may now be split between spouses). Foreign pension income has special rules
  • interest income earned but not yet received - example Canada Savings Bonds, Deferred Annuities, Term Deposits, Treasury Bills, Mutual Funds, Strip Bonds, Compound Interest Bonds,    
  • other investment income
  • professional fees,
  • director fees,
  • scholarships, fellowships, bursaries.

3.  Details of other expenses such as: 
  • employment related expenses - Provide Form T2200 - Declaration of Conditions of Employment (signed by employer),
  • tools acquired by tradespersons and eligible apprentice mechanics,
  • business, rental and employment capital purchases such as vehicles, equipment and buildings
  • interest on money borrowed to purchase investments,
  • investment counsel fees,
  • moving expenses - including costs of maintaining a vacant former residence,
  • child care expenses,
  • alimony, separation allowances, child maintenance (including divorce agreement, and support amount that was paid)
  • accounting, legal, and other professional fees,
  • pension plan contributions,
  • home office expenses
  • film and video production expenditures eligible for tax credit,
  • mining tax credit expenses,
  • business, property and employment travel and/or motor vehicle expenses (travel logs may be required) 
  • scientific research and experimental development expenses,
  • adoption related expenses,
  • clergy residence deduction information, including Form T1223,
  • disability supports expenses (speech, sight, hearing, learning aids for impaired  
  • individuals and attendant care expenses)
  • trade-person's tools acquired by an employee,
  • public transit passes acquired,
  • interest paid on qualifying student loans
  • amounts paid for programs of physical activity or arts for children under 16 years of age at the beginning of the year (under 18 for children with disabilities). Certain provinces provide credits for children above this age. 

4. Details of other investments such as:

  • -  real estate or oil and gas investments - including financial statements,
  • -  labour-sponsored funds.
5. Details and receipts for:

  • Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) contributions, professional and union dues,
  • tuition fees for both full-time and part-time courses for you or a dependant - including mandatory ancillary fees and Forms T2202, TL11A, B, C and D where applicable,
  • charitable donations,
  • medical expenses for you and dependent person(s) (including travel expenses and certain medical related modifications to anew or existing home),
  • school supply expenditures (the Federal government has proposed a special benefit  political contributions, and NEW - if you are a teacher or early childhood educator, we may need to obtain receipts but it has not yet passed)
6. Details of capital gains and losses realized in 2015. This may be obtained in some
    circumstances, by contacting your investment advisor.
7. Name, address, date of birth, S.I.N., and province of residence on December 31, 2015, if changed in the current year.
8. Personal status - single, married, common-law, separated, divorced, widowed.  If
married or common-law, provide the spouse/partner's income, S.I.N., and birth date.
9.  List of dependants/children - including their incomes and birth dates.
10. Details regarding residence in a prescribed area which qualifies for the Northern 
Residents Deduction.
11. Details regarding contributions and withdrawals from Registered Education Savings
12. Details regarding RRSP - Home Buyers' Plan withdrawals and repayments; and RRSP - Lifelong Learning Plan repayments.  
13. Details on 2015 income tax instalments or, payments of tax, if we do not have access  to your tax account on CRA's Represent a Client.
14. 2014 Assessment Notices and any correspondence from CRA.
15. Details of foreign property owned at any time in 2015 including cash, stocks, trusts,
partnerships, real estate, tangible and intangible property, contingent interests,
convertible property etc. Required details include: description of the property, related
country, maximum cost in the year, cost at year-end, income, and capital gain/loss
for each particular property.   
For property held in account with a Canadian securities dealer or Canadian trust
company, please provide the country for each investment, fair market value (FMV)
for investments at each month-end, income or loss on the property, and gain or loss
on disposition of the property.
16. Details of income from, or distributions to foreign entities such as foreign affiliates
and trusts.
17. Details of your Pension Adjustment Reversal if you ceased employment and were in
a Registered Pension Plan or a Deferred Profit Sharing Plan (T10 slip)
18. Internet Business Activities

If you have business, farming, or fishing income , please indicate whether you have
Internet business activities.  According to CRA, internet business activities include   any activity where you earn income from your webpages or websites. 
       This can include:
Selling goods and/or services on your own page or site. You may have a shopping cart and process payment transactions yourself or use a third party service.
If your site doesn't support transactions but your  customers call , complete or submit  a form or email you to make a purchase order, booking etc. excluding 'information  only webpages and websites like directories or ads. 

Selling goods and/or services on auction, marketplace or similar sites                       operated by  others.

Earning income from advertising , income programs or traffic your site                       generates.

If you do have internet business activities, please also provide:
Number of webpages or websites from where your business earns income.  

Please  provide the addresses of your pages and/or sites. If you have more               than 5, provide the 5 that generate the most income.
Provide the percentage of income generated from the Internet. If you do not know the exact percentage, please provide a reasonable estimate.

19.   Copy of any foreign tax returns filed.

  B. Additional Information for New Clients
1.  Details of previous capital gain exemptions claimed, business investment losses 
     and cumulative net investment loss accounts.   

2.  A listing or copy of receipts for significant capital assets purchased in the year which 
     may appreciate in value.    
3.  Details of  carry-forward amounts from previous years (ex. losses, donations, forward
     averaging amounts, RRSP). 

4.  Copy of 2014 (or most recently filed) personal tax return.
C. Questions to Answer

1.  Are you disabled or are any of your dependents disabled? If so, provide Form  
T2201- Disability Tax Credit Certificate. The transfer rules allow claims for certain   
dependent relatives.    
Persons with disabilities may also receive tax relief for the cost of disability supports
(eg. sign language services, talking textbooks, etc.) incurred for the purpose of  
employment or education .
2.  Are you the caregiver for any infirm family members?

   Did you provide in-home care for a parent or grandparent (including in-laws) 65
years of age or over, or an infirm dependent relative?  A federal tax credit may be 
available. Certain provincial credits may also be available. Also, the caregiver may claim related training costs as a medical expense credit.
4.  Do you want your tax refund deposited directly to your account at a financial  institution?
5.  Have you received the Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB) of $100 per month
($160/month for 2015 and onwards) for each child under 6 years of age? Also, 
commencing January 2015, parents will receive a UCCB of $60/month for children
aged 6-17.  
The increased benefit will begin on January 2015, however, the July 2015 payment will
include increased benefits from January to June 2015.
6.  Are you a first-time home buyer in 2015? A tax credit based on $5,000 (@15%              =$750)  is available for qualifying homes acquired after January 27, 2009.
7.   Are you a U.S. citizen, Green Card Holder, or were you, or your parents born in the United States? You may have U.S. filing obligations.
8.   Have you spent more than 200 hours acting as a volunteer fire fighter or a search
and rescue volunteer?  You may be  eligible for a federal tax credit.
9.   Are you an aboriginal person? Special tax rules may apply.

10.  Do you authorize CRA to give your name, address, date of birth, and citizenship to  
Elections Canada to update the National Register of Electors.  
11. Have you made any contributions to a gifting tax shelter?
12. Did you receive any significant prizes or awards from your, or a related person's
place of employment?
13. Did you receive a retroactive lump-sum payment over $3,000 (for example, spousal
support)? In certain cases, some tax relief may be granted.
14. Residents of New Brunswick, Ontario and British Columbia - Did you incur home
renovation expenses for seniors that may be eligible for the Healthy Homes Renovation
Tax Credit (Ontario), the Seniors' Home Renovation Tax Credit (British Columbia), or
the New Brunswick Seniors' Home Renovation Tax Credit (New Brunswick)?
1 5.  Did you purchase a new home in 2015? If so, you may be eligible for the new       
residential property GST/HST rebate.
16.  Other provincial and territorial tax credits may be available in your jurisdiction
such  as certain property taxes and residential rent paid in Ontario.
D. Planning Points

  1.  Installments required for 2016?
A Pre-Authorized Debit (PAD) is an online service- payment option whereby CRA is authorized to withdraw a pre-determined payment amount directly from a bank account on a specific date(s) to pay taxes. This may help assist you with avoiding penalties on late and/or missing installment payments.
 2.  The Family Tax Cut, is a federal tax credit that will allow a higher-income spouse 
to transfer up to $50,000 of taxable income to a spouse in a lower tax bracket.
The credit will provide tax relief - capped at $2,000 - for couples with children      under the  age of 18, effective for the 2014 tax year. To best maximize this new credit for
2015,  and other credits, it is ideal if we do the tax return for both spouses or common
law partners.
Note that the new Federal Government has indicated that this credit will be   
eliminated,  however, the legislation has not yet passed to indicate whether there will be a change to the current year, or the next year.   
 3.  MyCRA mobile App - This web App can be used on most mobile devices.  It allows
you access and view key portions of your tax information such as your notice of
assessment, tax return status, benefit and credit information, and RRSP and TFSA
contribution room. 

 4.  Canada Job Grant - 2/3rds of certain employee training courses may be eligible for
this grant.  If interested in improving your skills, ask your employer about this  

 5.  NEW - Home Accessibility Tax Credit (2016) - Keep those renovation invoices from
2016 for next years' Tax Return!  The non-refundable credit will provide tax relief of
15% on up to $10,000 of eligible expenditures ( renovations to a qualified dwelling
to enhance mobility or reduce risk of harm) per calendar year, per qualifying individual
(persons 65 years of age or older at the end of the particular taxation year or persons eligible for the Disability Tax Credit).  The Credit is eligible for expenditures after 2015.




Business Name | Email Address | Phone number | Website
See what's happening on our social sites: