"Where Athletes are Forever Young"
In 2018, the Virginia Senior Games (VSG) will enter their 40th year of promoting healthy lifestyles for Virginia residents, age 50 and better! The purpose of VSG is to promote physical and social wellness for senior adults. Presented annually by the Virginia Recreation and Park Society, VSG attract approximately 2,000 senior athletes who compete in over 20 Olympic-style events for Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals. They are hosted in localities
around the Commonwealth and move every four years to a new locality.
The senior population is the fastest growing consumer group in the country, and Virginians, like the rest of America, are riding the age wave:
- The number of Virginians over the age of sixty will increase from 1.4 million (17.8% of the population) in 2010 to 2.3 million (23.9%) in 2030, according to projections of the Virginia Employment Commission.
- Collectively, seniors control 50% of all discretionary income and spend more than $60 billion annually in the United States.
- Roughly 10,000 Baby Boomers will turn 65 today, and this will continue every day through 2030 (Pew Research Center).
- An American turns 50 every 7 seconds - that's more than 12,500 people every day (US Census).
- The senior age group is now, for the first time, the largest in terms of size and percent of the population in the U.S. By 2015, those aged 50 and older will represent 45 percent of the U.S. population (AARP).
This growing population represents economic clout and a flair for living! In order to keep VSG affordable and therefore inclusive of Virginia's seniors, we need your help.