Honoring Arla Patch
Every year the council an artist to honor whose artistic life has left indelible marks around our community.
A solo exhibit of Arla's work will open at the Own Gallery on the Gould Campus with an evening reception July 6.
|Four Seasons: Night & Day|
2012 Art Fair poster art
Although Arla Patch is known mostly in this community for her teaching, and 21 years of the Explorations Art Program, that is only part of what she does.
A "creativity midwife," Arla has used art as a tool for healing for many people, including incarcerated women, at-risk teens, women with breast cancer, young male alcoholics and addicts, and trauma survivors. She has written two award winning books, A Body Story and Finding Ground: Girls and Women in Recovery. She has taught for Elderhostel, at many universities, the Omega Institute as well as leading workshops and retreats.
Arla earned a BFA, Ed and MFA in Sculpture, but her work is noteworthy in photography, sculpture, and painting . Her 6-foot watercolor commissioned by the 1% for Art is hanging in the Crescent Park School in Bethel. She has exhibited widely including Rome, Italy, New York City, Taipei, Taiwan, and at Harvard University to mention a few. Her photography has won three merit awards from COLOR MAGAZINE and in the March 2012 issue of B&W+COLOR MAGAZINE she received a Spotlight Award along with an article for her recent portfolio "b.1950."
23rd Annual Bethel Art Fair Schedule of Events
- 9AM-4PM Artist and Artisan Exhibits
- 10AM The Punch and Judy Puppet Show
- 11AM -3PM lunch on the Common
- 11 AM Abbie Goldberg on Mandolin
- 12PM Art Fair Artist Winners Announced Musical preview of upcoming performers
- 1PM Harpist Conni St. Pierre
- 2PM Troubadour Brad Hooper
- 3PM Blue Willow Jazz Band
Open Space Gallery
Tour area arts studios and galleries:
1. Bethel Historical Society 10 Broad Street
2. Mt. Mann Jewelers 57 Main Street
3. Bonnema Pottery 146 Main Street
4. Elements Art Gallery 162 Main Street
6. S. Timberlake Co. 158 Mayville Rd.
8. Community Gallery, Sunday River Brew Pub 1 Sunday River Rd.
9. Red Gate Studio 15 Skilling Rd, Corner of Rt 5/35, W. Bethel
10. Harvest Gold Gallery 1082 Main St. Route 5, Lovell
11. Artistic Endeavors Frame Shop - 171 Main St.
12. Arla Patch Exhibit, Owen Gallery, Church St. Gould Academy