We r where u r: Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter @DigitalLA, DigitalLA.net for networking!
Happy Weekend, Digital LA peeps!
We had a muy divertido time at our Cinco de Mayo Cocktails with mariachi, maracas, tequila and sombreros. Check the pics!. Get a head start on the weekend with...
8 Weekend Ideas
- Free Comic Book Day - at ur comic book store, Sat
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides premieres at Disneyland with celebs walking the black carpet, and a huge screen at Tom Sawyers Island for 25,000 park guests and VIPs.
- Ricky Martin at Nokia Theater, Fri/Sat
- Prince at the Forum, Fri/Sat
- Kiss Me Kate musical at Reprise Theater, UCLA Freud Playhouse, May 10-22. Enter code KISS for $10 off here
- Culver City Car Show - 50s retro car theme with music, food and retro cars, Sat 9a-3p
- Unique LA crafts and vendors, downtown Sat/Sun
- Mother's Day - Sunday. Still time to order flowers online or send an e-card!
Branded Entertainment Panel: We had more than 275 attendees and >70,000 livestream views for our Branded Entertainment panel last wk! Our panel featured speakers from Yahoo!, ABC Digital Studio, Fox Digital, Relativity, EQAL, ICM and more discussing how brands like Puma, Kraft, Angry Birds Rio, Mortal Kombat, Limitless, LeBron James and more integrate into web series, games and communities. - Watch the TechZulu VIDEO and tag FB PICS
Last week, we met up for our Digital LA - Tribeca Film Fest Cocktails at the new Mondrian Soho.
Our Upcoming Events
- Digital LA - Cannes Cocktails (France)
- Digital LA - Paris Cocktails (May, Details Soon)
- Digital LA - Video Games Panel (June, Details Soon)
- Digital LA - E3 Band Jam (June, Details Soon)
PAST EVENT PICS - Newport Beach Film Fest Cocktails
- Branded Entertainment Panel
- Birds + Bourgeois Pig - Hollywood Hills Drinks
- ad:tech SF Drinks with engage:BDR- NAB Cocktails @ Cosmopolitan - Marquee
- Digital Photog Workshop- Comedians Go Digital- Digital Drinks @ WP24 Ritz-Carlton- Writing Panel- Digital LA - SXSW Party - TV Goes Social: Awards Shows- Hosts Go Digital- Digital Music panel- Sundance Cocktails (Park City)
- Entertainment Apps
Pics of Newport Beach Film Fest, Anaheim Comic Con,
Branded Entertainment panel, Green Goes Social panel
|Digital LA - Cannes Cocktails (France)|
Sat, May 14, 3-5p. Caffe Roma, Cannes, France
Bonjour! We're heading to Cannes again for croissants and cocktails at Caffe Roma, right across from the Palais des Festivals.
Join us to catch up and trade notes on best films, yacht parties and after-parties! Look for Kevin in the red shirt on the outside patio. And if u want to invite Digital LA peeps to another party u know of (like a yacht party!), email email@example.com w CANNES as the subject.
FREE to attend, RSVP here:http://digitallacan.eventbrite.com/
|Digital LA - Newport Beach Film Fest Cocktails|
NEWPORT BEACH - We met up for casual cocktails during the Newport Beach Film Fest. Attendees included a festival director, VFX animator, designers, and more.
We chatted about fave festival films, parties (Lexus, 944), and more. Thanks to the Stonemill Design Suite for hosting us at the Lido Goes Pop Village.
Check our PICS
Digital LA - Branded Entertainment Panel
WESTWOOD - More than 275 attendees and 70,000 livestream views attended our Branded Entertainment panel on Monday, where speakers from ABC, Yahoo!, Fox, Relativity, ICM, EQAL and more discussed how brands create branded web series, games and communities at UCLA Anderson.
Brands including advertisers (Puma, Kraft), movies/TV (Limitless, Glee), games (Angry Birds Rio, Mortal Kombat) and celebs (LeBron James, Jenni Garth) are creating
new ways to integrate brands into content and online communities, and promoting using social media. Miss it?
- Check out tag urself in our Facebook pics
- Watch TechZulu's video recast: http://bit.ly/fh4jvg
Thanks to our panelists, audience for great tweet-notes. And thanks to support from Yahoo! Originals, FastPay, our hosts UCLA Anderson EMA, MEMES and the Marketing Association, and our livestream partner TechZulu.HIGHLIGHTS:Why do Branded Entertainment
? You can reach
hard-to-reach-via-TV, younger, online auds, easier brand integration into online, lower production costs, easier to experiment, more creativity, more ownership, increased engagement with auds, create online communities and relationships, from "your consumers" to "your community."How are Branded Shows Developed?
9 Types of Brand Integration
- Advertisers and creatives work together via RFPs, agencies, producers and personal connections to brainstorm brand integration with aligned audiences, that's ideally seamless.
- Content must have good story, be relevant to auds to be watched, shared, passed along
- Writers and directors who are creating content to pitch to brands must understand the brand's audience, voice, marketing messages, demos, and have ideas for brand integration.
- A strong online social media following can help greenlight a project. For example, after an unofficial Mortal Kombat YouTube video got Mortal Kombat Legacymillions of views, ICM helped its creator Kevin Tanchareon work with Warner Bros. Interacive to greenlight the web series. Its first episode has >8M views in its first few weeks.
Marketing and Social Media
- Pre/Post Rolls, Brought To You By: Yahoo! Originals includes pre/post rolls and "Brought to you by" for top shows like Primetime in No Time, a recap of last night's TV shows.
- Product Placement: Puma sponsored Jon Chu's LXD web series with dozens of close-up shots of dancers' shoes and clothing. The LeBrons integrates multiple sponsors into its animated show, including Intel, HP, Bing, and Sprite. The LeBron James-voiced characters use Bing to search for info on HP laptops in the shows. http://youtube.com/thelebrons
- Influencer: Relativity promoted the movie Limitless by sending a request video to influential YouTube stars, who created movie-themed response videos like Michael Buckley's, which asked fans to make a vid comment for a chance to win an iPad.
- Storyline Integration: New characters or storylines can integrate brands into the story. ABC Digital Studios created online Cougartown webisodes with Diet Dr. Pepper integrated into the story. Producer Jenni Powell worked with an identify theft advertiser to create a storyline where a character in a comedy web series realizes someone's masquerading as him online in a funny
- Immersion. ICM and BioWare game company worked with The Guild star Felicia Day to create the Dragon Age: Redemption web series, set entirely within the fantasy world of the Dragon Age game.
- Community. EQAL (creators of lonelygirl15) helped Kraft create a vibrant, engaged online community around its web series Real Women of Philadelphia to promote Philadelphia Cream Cheese. Community members became super engaged, saying the show changed their lives in this testimonial video.
- Game app: The Fox movie Rio worked with Rovio's Angry Birds to create Angry Birds Rio
- Social Game: Rio integrated into Farmville where players could create a Rio beach area of their farm.
- Events. Matter/ Edelman worked with Brita to create an offline lounge at the Sundance Film Fest.
: Brands use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. to promote their content
How to Measure Success?
- Niches: Seed and promote your branded content into online communities, Facebook pages, etc. who like the brand / content
- Exclusive Content: Relativity created exclusive content of James Cameron and iJustine tweeting underwater to promote Sanctum. To access the livestream, fans had to Like the Sanctum Facebook page
- Influencer Auds: ICM and Felicia Day promote her new Dragon Age: Redemption series by asking other high-profile high-followers clients like Neil Patrick Harris, etc. to all start tweeting news about her show on the same day. Other highly-followed influencers started retweeting, creating an instant online buzz that resulted in increased views. YouTube stars have built-in audience of loyal fans who will promote
- Home Page: Yahoo! post web series on its homepage for instant >1-4 M views
- On-Air: ABC Digital Studio uses on-air spots to promote web series
- Celeb Power: Get celebs use social media to promote content. LeBron James tweets to promote new episodes of The LeBrons web series to his nearly 2M followers
- Social Game: Farmville - Rio integration goes viral on Facebook
- Events: At the Brita - Sundance event, attendees tweeted and checked-in = social.
- Sales: Ultimately, advertisers measure success by increased sales at the cash register, box office, or iTunes store. Kraft measured a 5% increase in Philadelphia Cream Cheese sales, attributed to its Real Women community. Puma saw increased sales after its LXD web series. Sprint also had increased sales after integration into The Guild. Angry Birds Rio was the #1 top selling app at release, reaching 10M iTunes downloads in 10 days. Limitless was #1 opening weekend at the Box Office.
- Engagement: Facebook likes & comments; Tweets and RTs
- Traditional is still used: CPM, clicks, views (25%, 50%, 75%, 100% completion)
- Engagement dashboards are being developed to help measure success of online campaigns - open opportunity for a metrics / research company!
* David Beebe, ABC Digital Studio
, Director @davidbeebe
* Neal Weiss, Yahoo! Originals
, Head of Creative Development
* Matt McMahon, Fox Digital Entertainment
, VP Mobile @iammattmcmahon
* Kendall Rhodes, Relativity Media
, VP Digital Programming & Content @spinkendall
* Matt Seigel, EQAL
, Vice President, Branded Content and Communities
* George Ruiz, ICM
, Head of New Media and SVP of Business Affairs @georgeruiz
* Shannon Pruitt, Brand Arc
; formerly at Warner Bros. TV Group.
* William H. Masterson III, Believe Entertainment Group
* Jenni Powell, Producer, Video Game Reunion @jennipowell
* Tamara Kruger, Senior VP, Matter / Edelman
Sports and Entertainment
* Moderator: Kevin Winston, Digital LA
@DigitalLA @kevinwinstonTHANKS AUDIENCE for great tweet-notes.
Search #DigitalLAbrand for dozens of great tweet-notes! Here are some highlights:
RT @davidbeebe consumers will connect w/content when it is relevant, makes an emotional impact & delivers tangible value. #DigitalLABrand
RT @fashmarketing Brands need to work with 10-20 online influencers who fit into targeted, niche audiences. generates best roi. #digitallabrand
RT @KellyYeemondi: Smart Branded content with virtual currency and contests really builds community
RT @fashmarketing: Know your content's/ web series/ brand's mission, integrate sponsors around it. #digitallabrand
RT @chasmiller Have passion, commitment and skin in the game to show an agency or studio you are vested in the idea #digitalLAbrand
RT @michaeljbarber: Brands must have trust & learn f content creators. Teaching from both teams. Creators
must have patience #digitalLAbrand
RT @chasmiller Knowing how a creative pitch relates to an audience will increase your chances of success #digitalLAbrand
RT @sheersocial Before you approach a brand as a producer DO THE RESEARCH in the brand and its audience #digitallabrand
RT @chasmiller: Participation will be driven by knowing the "what's in it for me" factor for your audience #digitalLAbrand
RT @fashmarketing Self funding is the best way to show the world your amazing idea. #digitallabrand make it yourself. own it.
RT @chasmiller Linking offline experiences to online exclusive entertainment is a compelling way to drive engagement #digitalLAbrand
RT @dcaballero But what's the metric 4 success? "advertisers: At the end of the day, branded content has to sell more goods and services." #digitallabrandINDIE BRANDED WEB SERIES WORKSHOP
Immediately before the panel, indie content creators met up in a workshop to share stories about working with smaller / local brands to create branded content. While local brands have smaller budgets to spend on creating or sponsoring content, they can be a little more flexible and open to new ideas than larger brands for content integration and marketing and social media promotion.
Thanks to our workshop guest speakers!
- JC Christofilis, Dilemma LA
- Fabienne Toback, FT Media
- branded online content
- Steve Sieves and Dahveed, Supa Pirate Booty Hunt
- animated series
|Digital LA - Tribeca Film Fest Cocktails @ Mondrian Soho (NY)|
NEW YORK - Digital entertainment peeps in NY met up for cocktails at our Digital LA - Tribeca Film Fest Cocktails at the swank new Mondrian Soho hotel.
We lounged in the patio area and chatted about digital, our fave films of the fest, and traded notes on after-parties.
Look for our next NY event soon!
|Digital LA - Green Goes Social @ TreePeople|
BEVERLY HILLS -
We discussed how YouTube stars, Disneynature, PGA and social games use social media to help promote green messaging at our Digital LA - Green Goes Social panel at TreePeople park in Beverly Hills. Fans will share green content that is funny, creative, entertaining, useful, rewarded, goal-oriented, and celebrity-related. Thanks TreePeople for hosting, attendees for great dialogue, and green sponsors who donated prizes including Dapper eco-baby products, Into the Cold DVDs, and Cosmopolitan phone-screen clean pads. Check our FB PICS!9 WAYS GREEN GOES SOCIAL1) Entertaining / Funny Videos
(ecotainment). For GE's Ecomagination campaign, Cloud Media helped YouTube star DeStorm create rap videos about turning off the lights, recycling, etc. Fans passed along the videos, and were encouraged to make their own eco-song videos they passed to their friends. Here's DeStorm's vid http://bit.ly/c2ZuwG
Know your audience: make sure your messaging and voice is in sync with your audience /demographic.2) Social Games:
In this Facebook social game, users must clean up their virtual city and defeat the eco-villains. Virtual Rewards: The game also rewards real-life eco-behaviors with in-game points, and adds more points when friends verify the behavior, therefore the game's slogan: Play the Game, Save the Planet.3) Celebrity.
The Organic Authority organic recipe site writes articles when celebrities like Mike Tyson, Natalie Portman, or Martha Stewart go vegan, and posts article links via its Facebook and Twitter. Fans share with their friends.4) Social Statement.
Eventful helped Disneynature create a social pledge campaign. The Eventful community of movie fans/influencers used Facebook/Twitter to pledge to see African Cats in its first week, when a portion of tickets goes to save the Savanna campaign. 5) Create a Goal
. Create a social media goal for your eco-campaign, such as YouTube views, Facebook page Likes, Twitter followers, etc. so fans can work to the target. And reward fans when the goal is reached. 6) Create Community.
Social media lets you create an ongoing relationship and grow your community when you engage, respond, reward them via comments, contests, etc. TreePeople, Ecotopia, YouTubers all develop strong relationships with their online communities.7) Events.
TreePeople organizes community tree-plantings and other community events. Participants are encouraged to Facebook and tweet about the events, check-in, etc. to spread the word socially8) Eco-Filmmaking.
The Producers Guild (PGA) - Green has worked with five movie studios to create a directory of 1,100 eco-vendors, from energy-saving lighting to recycled sets to craft services that don't use plastic / styrofoam containers. PGA Green uses Facebook, Twitter, and recruits social media ambassadors to spread the word about these tools.9) Useful Info / Tips.
Eco-tips, interesting facts, and user-input tools like carbon footprint calculators are also shared via social networks
Thanks panelists and TreePeople for hosting!
- Amanda Weil, Eventful
, worked on Disneynature's African Cats campaign @eventful
- Sarah Evershed, Cloud Media
, works with YouTube stars to create branded entertainment @severshed
- Larry Bond, Talkie, creator of Ecotopia
social game @ecotopia @larrybond
- Jethro Rothe-Kushel, Producer, on PGA Green
committee @PGA_Green @jethrofilms
- Laura Klein, Organic Authority
, food recipe site @OrganicAuthorit
- Monica Schrock, TreePeople
, community education and tree-planting @treepeople_org
Thanks attendees for ur tweets with #DigitalLAgreen
- RT @bevhillsporsche Key to great engagement: be funny. Just one of the great tips at #DigitalLAgreen Am I funny?
- RT @EcoLizzie Can't wait to play @Ecotopia on Facebook tomorrow. Never played a fb game before but this one sounds good! #DigitalLAgreen
- RT LowImpactBetty @DigitalLA thanks for a great event! #DigitalLAgreen
|Digital LA - Birds + Bourgeois Pig - Hollywood Hills Drinks|
HOLLYWOOD HILLS - We chirped and tweeted at neighborhood faves Birds and Bourgeois Pig to chat digital, Angry Birds, and toast Rio's #1 opening wknd. Cuz LA's the only place with side-by-side Birds+Pig restaurants! Attendees from web series gurus to animators, LATimes.com, and LA Film School discussed: iPhone games, home page takeovers, viral video marketing, favorite Angry Birds levels, and more. With special drink discounts, we enjoyed emotions from Angry (birds) to Peppy (coffee), Happy (beer), and Healthy (juice). More PICS
|Digital LA - NAB Cocktails @ Cosmopolitan - Marquee (Vegas)|
LAS VEGAS - We drove the Audi A8 from LA to Vegas for good cocktails and convos at our NAB Cocktails at the Cosmopolitan - Marquee club.
We learned from Hangover,
and didn't misplace our digital Vegas PICS.
Attendees included Digital LA peeps and friends, social media gurus, web video experts, filmmakers, production, PR pros, advertising execs, and digital Vegas locals. In the upstairs Library bar, we enjoyed the fireplace, bookshelves, and pool (billiards). Then we joined the dance floor with the 3-story video wall, DJs, dazzling lights, fog, arctic jet blasts, lasers and confetti. And we lounged outside by the pool (swimming) and cabanas with infinity jacuzzis. Thanks Cosmopolitan & Marquee!
|Digital LA - Digital Photog Workshop|
HOLLYWOOD- Filmmakers should choose digital cameras that help tell the story, fit within budgets, and deliver the right film look the director is looking for. These were key tips at our Digital Photog Workshop at the Arclight Hollywood during the Month of Photography LA (MOPLA). Check the FB PICS.
Thanks to our featured guest speakers:
- Chuck Comisky (3D supvr on Avatar; VFX supervisor on Rush Hour, Blade, T2 3D ride at Uni.Studios)
- Joe Reitman (Director of Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson; actor).
|Digital LA - Writing Panel|
BEVERLY HILLS - Our panel of three WGA-Award nominated writers nominated for Original New Media Writing, Breaking Bad
, and Friday Night Lights
, shared tips on writing web series, and compared online to TV writing. See PICS / notes.
- Online lets writers show their skills by writing a web series. Tim Cooper, nominated for the first-ever Original New Media Writing Award this year, said he created 3 5-minute episodes of his Concierge: The Series
, and decided to submit it for the WGA Awards. After he got the nomination, he started getting calls from managers and agents to sign him. Now he's working on more web, TV and film deals.
|Digital LA - Digital Music: Making Music, Money & Marketing|
BEVERLY HILLS: On our pre-Grammys week panel, our expert panelists from Disney A&R, WME, Dr. Hollywood, Cimorelli, Topspin, CD Baby, StageIt, Hitch Radio and more shared tips on making music, money and marketing online at SLS Hotel.
Artists shared how digital lets them engage fans directly, and tools like Twitter can "give fans a backstage pass to your life," said Dr. Hollywood.
Speakers from WME and Topspin discussed integrated online, social media marketing for Linkin Park and other bands. And startups described how digital lets them start new music companies w artists-friendly revenue streams.
- Check out our FB album PICS
- Watch the livestream (panel starts min 34, Cimorelli band starts at 1:58): http://bit.ly/ggqdAm
|Digital LA - Pics of 2010|
We had a blast in 2010! Our Pics of 2010 Album
has some of our fave pics including:
- Digital Drinks
at trendy venues from W Hollywood to Viceroy to our E3 Band Jam.
- Big Panels
on Apps, Video Games, Digital Franchises, and Curation with up to 300 attendees at the Roosevelt, Grammy Museum, and UCLA Anderson.
- Sponsored events
thanks to Disney Interactive, Digg, Citysearch LA, FILTER Talent, etc.
- Niche Panels
on Digital Music, TV Goes Social, Games Go Hollywood, Social Games & Virtual Currency, Entertainment Blogging, Latino Marketing, Design Cross-Platform, Celebrity Websites, Scrum for Entertainment, etc.
- Beyond LA:
Cocktails in SF, San Diego Comic-Con, Seattle, NY, Austin - SXSW, Miami - WMC
Cocktails at the Cannes and Toronto Film Fests, and Paris and Vancouver!Big thanks to our panelists, sponsors, venues, TechZulu, our promotional friends, and YOU on a great year!! Onto more in 2011!!
|LinkedIn - Job Board|
|Into digital music marketing? Check out these 2 jobs at an LA agency. |
Several new jobs have been posted on our LinkedIn Jobs tab - and in our LinkedIn Discussions tab (including a Sony Pictures social media job).
Digital LA organizes events for professionals in online
entertainment, marketing, and advertising. Stop on by for
informal casual networking. Join the Digital
LA group at http://www.digitalla.net Attendees work at Sony Pictures, FOX
Interactive, MySpace, Google, Yahoo!, Disney, WB, NBC, EA,
Vivendi Games, Napster, and other entertainment, studios, ad
agencies, and tech companies.