OUR LADY OF FATIMA
September 9, 2016
Who except God can give you peace? Has the world ever been able to satisfy the heart?"
St. Gerald Majella
OUT AND ABOUT:
- The kids are back! The kids are back! And we could not be happier!
- Teachers had a great teacher workshop day at the Wilton Library on September 1st. We look forward to a continuing relationship with this great resource.
- Our most important job is to keep your child safe. As Ms. Favier and I are getting to know everyone, we ask that, besides pick-up and drop-off, all parents come to the office and sign-in when visiting the school. There is a table outside my office with a sign-in sheet and visitor passes. In addition, all adults who plan this year to chaperone students on a field trip, participate as a class volunteer, or coach a sport are required by the diocese to be Virtus trained. To find a convenient Virtus training date and time just visit the Diocese of Bridgeport Catholic Schools website http://www.dioceseofbridgeportcatholicschools.com/ and click on the "Resources" tab. You must pre-register online for this training. Father Reggie is offering Virtus training on September 13th at 7:00 p.m. in the parish center. You must pre-register for Father Reggie's workshop also by calling Nancy at 203-762-3928.
- Did you know that May 13, 2017, is the 100 year anniversary of the Blessed Virgin appearing to the three shepherd children in Fatima, Portugal? Another reason why we know this is going to be a great year!
- I have been around visiting the classes. I have spoken to the children about what I think is important for them to learn: learning to develop their inner spiritual life, learning how to consistently try their best in school, learning to be inclusive with their classmates, and learning how to take care of the beautiful school they come to every day. Please continue this discussion of important ideas at home.
- On Monday, September 12th Tom Moore from the American Legion Post 86 will be here to speak to our eighth graders about flag etiquette. Eighth graders will be raising and lowering the flag each day this year, as well as helping lead morning and midday prayers.
- We have been planning the HSA Open School event with the faculty and the HSA. This year, the Open School event will take place on one night, Friday, September 23rd, for the entire school. It will have two important parts: starting at 6:00 p.m. and running to 7:00 p.m. There will be three sections of class presentations in the school and middle school presentations in the gym. At 7:00 p.m. the school presentations will end and everyone will gather in the gym for the HSA dinner and social. This will be a great night to learn about your child's day, and hear about teachers' expectations. Then you will switch gears and see old friends, make new ones, and hear about the many different ways to volunteer and get involved at OLF. I have been told by many parents that a major part of the Fatima experience is the Fatima community and I am looking forward to seeing everyone on the 23rd!
- Does your middle school student need help with their 30 required volunteer hours? New this year, middle school students accompanied by a parent, can earn volunteer hours at Something Special while also fulfilling the parents' commitment to the school. Something Special contributes $20,000 per year to help pay our stipend in exchange for volunteering hours from the parent body. In addition to their generous contribution to our stipend, they have funded many needed projects that helped improve our school such as the security system, iPads for the classrooms, lockers for the middle school, and most recently, the weeding and mulching of our playgrounds to name a few. This is a great opportunity not only to fulfill your obligation as a parent to the school, but to also have your middle school student earn their volunteer hours while spending time together having fun. Please consider signing up for your volunteer hours at Something Special with your middle school student! It's a Win! Win! Win! Situation. Sign-up sheets will be available at the Open School Night.
- Sunday is the anniversary of 9/11. Today, after Mass we had a short ceremony commemorating this date. Please find a way with your family your own way to mark this important national anniversary.
- Class dues help support field trips here at our school. We will send out the notice and begin collecting class dues next week in the school office.
- We had a great HSA meeting this week. The HSA is planning one fall fundraiser, the Walkathon on October 14th, and one spring fundraiser, the Spring Gala on April 29th. They are able to this because of your wonderful support of these events.
- Have you recently checked out the school website? Take a moment to visit and read some of the testimonials of former graduates and parents they are very inspiring and a tribute to this school. Thanks to Gina and Gianna for gathering these testimonials.
- Today we had a 50th plus one-week birthday party for Father Reggie in the gym. We are so fortunate to have him as our Pastor and spiritual father!
- Please check your child's backpack tonight for two important forms. First, there is a media release form that we need to collect for every child. We need your permission to feature your child in any picture representing Our Lady of Fatima School. In addition, new this year, the Diocese of Bridgeport is gathering demographic information on the children in their schools. This information is confidential, should be returned to the school office, and once we collect will keep it in your child's school record folder. I am offering a free extra gym period to the class that first returns 100% of both forms.
"SHOUT OUT I"
John Doyle and Ursula Hanavan. John was the chief architect for our bathroom renovations; Ursula did the interior designs. The bathrooms were completed on time, are beautiful, and are a wonderful enhancement for our school. Fantastic job, John and Ursula!
"SHOUT OUT II"
Evaristo. We have added to Evaristo's duties this year. Every day he sets up the cafeteria tables before lunch, cleans them between lunch groups, and then puts away the tables before afternoon classes. In addition, on a regular basis we have small "emergencies:" a fuse is blown, a door won't open, or a delivery has arrived. He does all this and much more without complaint!
September 9th - Parish Welcome Back Social for Adults - Father Reggie is hosting this event in the parish center beginning at 7:00 p.m.
September 10th - Recycling from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in front of the school
September 12th - Cross-country practice begins for students in grades 5-8.
September 13th - Virtus training in the parish center
September 14th -
Paul Effman Music Service Band demonstration for grades 3-8 in the gym at 10:00 a.m.
September 16th - Bake sale during lunch sponsored by the 8th grade
September 21st - First meeting of Mom and Tots Playgroup
September 23rd - Open School Night beginning at 6:00 p.m. for entire school with HSA Dinner to follow at 7:00 p.m.
September 24th - Car wash from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. sponsored by the 8th grade
September 28th - Mom and Tots Playgroup
September 30th - Family Movie Night
October 4th - H.S.A. meeting beginning at 7:00 p.m.
October 5th - Mom and Tots Playgroup
October 7th - First Friday mass hosted by Grade 4
October 10th - No school for Columbus Day
October 12th - Mom and Tots Playgroup
October 14th - School Walkathon
October 17th - Lifetouch school photos
October 18th - Lifetouch school photos
October 19th - Mom and Tots Playgroup
October 20th - Living Rosary
Home Cross-Country Race at Merwin Meadows
October 21st - Halloween Bingo
October 26th - Mom and Tots Playgroup
November 1st - H.S.A. meeting beginning at 7:00 p.m.
November 2nd - Mom and Tots Playgroup
November 4th - First Friday mass hosted by the Student Government
November 8th - No school - Teacher PD
November 9th - Mom and Tots Playgroup
November 12th - International family Night in the gym
November 16th - Noon dismissal for Parent/Teacher Conferences
Mom and Tots Playgroup
November 17th - Noon dismissal for Parent/Teacher Conferences
November 23 - Noon dismissal
Mom and Tots Playgroup
November 24/25 - Thanksgiving Recess
December 2nd - First Friday mass hosted by Grade 7
December 6th - H.S.A. meeting beginning at 7:00 p.m.
December 8th - No school for feast of the Immaculate Conception
December 11th - School Christmas Party
December 21st - Christmas Pageant at 1:00 p.m.
December 23rd - Noon dismissal for Christmas recess
December 26 through January 2 - No school for Christmas recess
Class Parents! As the parent you will serve as the important communication link between the teacher and other class parents for class activities and school functions; in addition, you will serve as the link between the HSA and the class. You will meet with the teacher to discuss scheduled events, class dues, and classroom coverage for the year. Please contact Diane in the school office if you would like to volunteer as your child's Class Parent. You are needed!!
We had a great first week of school. Thanks to the students for their hard work, teachers for their leadership, and parents for your support!