Optimizing The News
For Thursday, July 12, 2012
|Today From AdExchanger...|
- Thursday, July 12, News Round-Up (see below)
- Say Media's Sanchez: Strategy Bends Toward 'Traditional' Sales Models, Not Exchanges "Over the past two years, blog network Say Media has attempted to evolve from its origins as an ad network into something resembling a traditional media company...With [Kim Kelleher's] big hire and her placement in New York, we checked in with Say Media CEO Matt Sanchez about the company's ad strategy and how Kelleher fits into it...." (visit AdExchanger)
- AKQA's Media Group Prepares For Life With Xaxis "Scott Symonds, Managing Director of AKQA Media, is certainly aware of Xaxis's reputation as the most controlling of the holding company trading desks...In this conversation with AdExchanger, he touches on his team's future with Xaxis; the programmatic talent challenge; and how AKQA became one of the few agencies to gain preferred vendor status for the Facebook Ads API..." (visit AdExchanger)
- Data-Driven Thinking column... Time For Alternative Attribution Models by Ronald Paul, QUISMA "When working in online advertising, if you try and evaluate individual channels as effective or non effective you are in danger of losing efficiency and money. It is much more important to look at "the big picture" and to analyse how and when consumers use individual channels in the different phases of the purchasing process..." (visit AdExchanger)
- Jobs (see below)
- Training & Webinars (see below)
- Events (visit AdExchanger)
- AdExchanger Conference Is September 20 (visit AdExchanger)
Here's today's AdExchanger news round-up... Want it by email? Sign-up here.
Ning Gets Glammed
Almost a year after women's lifestyle blog network Glam Media bought white label social network tool Ning, the two are fully integrating. Techcrunch's Anthony Ha reports that the benefits will be immediately felt by the social net communities created with Ning, as they'll be able to take advantage of Glam's ad network. Those sites previously had to handle ad serving on their own. Ads on Ning sites will now be powered by Glam Social, which has been around for two years and was intended to help broaden Glam's reach to individuals' sites in addition to larger and mid-size publishers. Glam claims that Ning is getting 50 million uniques a month as the service is used to create 2,000 new social nets every 30 days. In addition to expanding its overall ad reach, the new social nets could also help produce a more comprehensive vertical ad strategy. Read the release, too.
Twitter, The Anti-Facebook
Twitter CEO Dick Costolo tends to define his company against the Facebook grain. He tells the LA Times Twitter will use its significant cash reserves to power its platform and biz goals. "We are going to remain private as long as we want," he says. "I like being private for all sorts of reasons." Read it. Meanwhile Gerry Shih asks in a Reuters analysis, "Is Twitter building [an] ad business at expense of innovation?" The question is motivated by stricter guidelines placed on developers and other parties, including LinkedIn. "Greater control makes it easier for Twitter to sell advertising against its content -- the media industry's traditional proposition." Read more. Finally, AllThingsD's Peter Kafka shares a Twitter sales deck geared to one client who shall remain nameless. The important takeaway here is that Twitter sales remain high-touch and low-targeting. For instance a vaunted feature called "enhanced interest" targeting has yet to launch. See the slides.
Mobile Ads More Portable
The Interactive Advertising Bureau has spent a lot more time trying to streamline the ad units for mobile advertising for several years now, and the latest effort represents a worthwhile step toward its ultimate goal: making the often smaller screens for mobile devices a more attractive platform for premium brand advertising. "The Mobile Rich-media Ad Interface Definitions," or MRAID 1.0, as the new standards are called, are aimed at helping agencies run creative across apps from different publishers, rather than needing to re-write the programming behind their ad creative several times for a single campaign -- a major hurdle for marketers, who are reluctant to spend more time and money on mobile, which still needs to prove its scalability. Read the release.
Proving that retargeting remains a compelling business to be in, ad retargeter AdRoll, which serves the long and mid-tail with its cross-exchange, self-serve retargeting tech, announced that it has picked up $15 million in new funding (that's $19 million total in fundraising says Crunchbase). According to the release, "AdRoll will grow the team into their 24,000 square-foot downtown San Francisco headquarters and open new domestic and international offices." Read more.
Nielsen wants to establish more thought leadership in measurement and has established the new Nielsen Innovation Lab. MediaPost's Joe Mandese quotes Nielsen exec Scott McKinley that "the ultimate goal would be to achieve Madison Avenue's long-term 'holy grail' of 'understanding the true value' of advertising, including how it impacts the short- and long-term perceptions and behaviors of consumers." Read more.
From the out-of-home channel, Verifone will provide a payment for taxi systems in Washington, D.C... AND they'll get to advertise and provide content to taxi passengers. Syncing ads with payment system data and a location overlay would seem to be pretty powerful. Read the release.
That's because it's hard, says Brad Terrell writing for ClickZ. Among the obstacles to doing it the correct way are complex tech requirements, talent scarcity, and moving KPI targets. Oh yeah, and missing data. "It's difficult to get the marketing data required for attribution out of the social media, search properties, and digital devices that consume much of our attention, and this creates significant blind spots for attribution analysis." Read it.
But Wait. There's More!By Team AdExchanger
Note To Employers: If you add a listing on the job board, it will be also included here in the Daily Newsletter email.
7/11/12 - VP Sales - NYC - Maxifier
7/11/12 - Sales Executive - NYC - Maxifier
7/11/12 - Account Manager - Omaha, NE - Sojern
7/10/12 - Regional Sales Manager - New York - Yieldex
7/10/12 - Client Training Manager - New York - Yieldex
7/10/12 - Director, Partnerships - Boston - VivaKi
7/10/12 - Media Strategist - SF - Swirl
7/9/12 - Director of Marketing - SF - Sojern
7/8/12 - Client Services - Account Manager - Chicago, IL - BrightTag
7/6/12 - Director of Ad Sales - SF - (Stealth Mode)
7/3/12 - Scalable Publisher Sales Strategist (German) - Dublin - Google
7/3/12 - Account Executive - SF - PulsePoint
7/3/12 - Account Executive - Los Angeles - PulsePoint
7/2/12 - Product and Solution Specialist - Chicago - Google
7/2/12 - Manager, Ad Operations Consultancy - Boston - VivaKi Nerve Center
7/2/12 - Sales Executive - NYC - Contextin
6/28/12 - Digital Media Sales Specialist - Dallas, TX - The Dallas Morning News
6/28/12 - Sr. Mgr/Dir, Display Ad User Data Strategy - Seattle, WA - Microsoft
6/27/12 - Online Sales Account Strategist (German) - Dublin - Google
6/26/12 - Director of Mobile and Social Ad Product Solutions - NYC - Time Inc.
6/25/12 - Ad Operations Trafficker - NYC - Media6Degrees
6/25/12 - Dir. of Advanced Advertising Platform - Burlington, MA - The Allant Group
6/25/12 - Account Manager - NYC - Maxifier
6/25/12 - Director of Audience Ad Product Solutions - NYC - Time Inc.
6/22/12 - Network Development Account Manager - NYC - BrightRoll
6/22/12 - Account Executive - NYC - Media6Degrees
6/20/12 - Sales Planner - NYC - LocalResponse
6/20/12 - Online Sales Account Strategist (German) - Dublin - Google
6/20/12 - Account Manager - San Francisco - DataXu
6/20/12 - Principal Analyst, Digital Marketing - Denver - Datalogix
6/19/12 - Campaign Analyst: Measurement Solutions - Denver - Datalogix
6/19/12 - VP, Business Development - Negotiable - Datalogix
6/19/12 - Director of Marketing - Denver - Datalogix
6/18/12 - Account Manager, Activation AOD - NYC - VivaKi
6/18/12 - Analyst, Analytics AOD - NYC - VivaKi
6/18/12 - Brand Relations Manager - NYC - VivaKi Nerve Center
6/15/12 - Sr. Marketing Analyst - NYC - Shopkeep.com
6/14/12 - Sr. Advertising Solutions Manager, interclick - NYC - Yahoo!
6/13/12 - Account Manager, BrightRoll Exchange - NYC - BrightRoll
6/12/12 - Ad Sales Lead - NYC - FanBridge
6/12/12 - Digital Media Analyst - quadrantONE
6/7/12 - Team Lead, Activation AOD - NYC - VivaKi Nerve Center
6/7/12 - Analyst, Analytics - Detroit - VivaKi Nerve Center
6/6/12 - Operations Manager, Business Development - NYC - Doubleverify
6/6/12 - Product Manager - NYC - Doubleverify
6/6/12 - VP, Technology Operations - NYC - Doubleverify
6/5/12 - Account Director - NYC - Yahoo!
6/5/12 - Data Platform Administrator - NYC - IDG TechNetwork
6/4/12 - Partnerships and Solutions Manager - NYC - Merkle
6/4/12 - Senior Account Manager, Activation - Chicago - VivaKi Nerve Center
6/4/12 - VP/Director of Yield Management - NYC - VEVO
6/1/12 - Video Advertising Product Solutions Manager, Genome - NYC - Yahoo!
6/1/12 - Head of Trading, Merkle Trading Desk - NYC - Merkle
6/1/12 - Demand Services Manager (Partner Manager) - Waltham, MA - Nexage
5/31/12 - Demand Sales Manager/Director - San Francisco - Nexage
5/31/12 - Director of Digital Partnerships - NYC - V12 Group
5/31/12 - Account Director - NYC - AppNexus
View All Jobs on AdExchanger's Job Board
|Training & Webinars |
Training and Webinars Managers: If you add a listing on the Training & Webinars board, it will be also included here in the Daily Newsletter email.
View All on AdExchanger.com's Training/Webinars Board
- Microsoft Worldwide Partner Conference, Toronto, Jul 8-12
- ANA Digital & Social Media Conference, NYC, Jul 15
- Mobile: IAB Marketplace, NYC, Jul 16
- Brand Innovators San Francisco, San Francisco, Jul 18
- OMMA (Premium) Display, Los Angeles, Jul 24
- OMMA Data & Targeting, Los Angeles, Jul 25
- OMMA RTB, Los Angeles, Jul 26
- Etail Boston, Boston, MA, Aug 13-15
- Digiday Conference Asia, Aug 15-16
- Digiday Exchange, NYC, Aug 15
- AdMonsters' Publisher Forum, Boston, Aug 19-22
- Inbound 2012, Boston, MA, Aug 27-30
- AdMonsters SE Asia, Singapore, Aug 30
- iMedia Brand Summit, Hunter Valley, AU, Sep 3-5
- SMX, Melbourne, Sep 4-5
- AdMonsters, Sydney, Sep 6
- Disrupt SF 2012, San Francisco, Sep 8-12
- iMedia Brand Summit, Coronado, CA, Sep 9-12
- Shop.org Annual Summit, Denver, Sep 10-12
- SES Conference and Expo, Hong Kong, Sep 10-12
- DMEXCO, Cologne, DE, Sep 12-13
- Predictive Analytics World for Government, Washington, D.C., Sep 17-18
- ATS London, London, UK, Sep 18
- Dreamforce X, San Francisco, Sep 18-21
- The Digiday Brand Conference, NYC, Sep 19
- Digiday SAMMY Awards, NYC, Sep 19
- ad:tech, London, Sep 19-20
- AdExchanger Conference, NYC, Sep 20
- Digiday Mobile Conference, NYC, Sep 20
- Ad Age Digital West, San Francisco, Sep 20
- GigaOM Mobilize, San Francisco, Sep 20-21
- Business Insider Social Media ROI, NYC, Sep 27
- JFAM: Forum @ Deutsche Bank, New York, Sep 28
- eMetrics, Boston, Sept 30 - Oct 4
- Predictive Analytics World, Boston, Sept 30 - Oct 4
- Oracle OpenWorld 2012, San Francisco, Sept 30 - Oct 4
- View All Events on AdExchanger >>>