ACI Board Meets and Approves New Members
On February 15, the ACI board met at Bose Public Affairs Group in Indianapolis, IN. The board voted to approve five new members:
- AgPerspective, Inc.
- Doyle Equipment Manufacturing
- Fischer Seeds, Inc.
- Midwestern BioAg, Inc.
If you have contacts at these organizations please join the board in welcoming them into ACI!
Update from the
Indiana General Assembly
The ACI Government Affairs Team continues to work diligently for our members during this legislative session.
This week at the Indiana statehouse the legislative session moved through its final paces before committee report deadlines next week, which are Feb. 21 in the House and Feb. 23 in the Senate. In addition to acting on two key pieces of legislation in the House on transportation and the biennial budget, both chambers also overrode two bills vetoed last year by former Governor Mike Pence.
ACI had some big wins for the agribusiness industry this week. House Bill 1018 proposes that vehicles cannot be driven on major highways without being covered. The bill now provides an exemption for vehicles transporting agriculture products. Senator Hershman offered an amendment to Senate Bill 515 which provides tax exemptions for certain agriculture equipment and machinery. The amendment expands the exemption for agriculture equipment.
We are continuing to work on and follow the Grain Buyers and Warehouse Licensing bills. Onerous provisions that required notice to customers when coverage expired and distribution of educational materials was eliminated in House Bill 1237. However, Senate Bill 476 still has provisions regarding retroactive coverage that ACI does not support. We encourage our members to call their legislators about the two bills - visit the detailed newsletter HERE for further details, talking points and contact information.
ACI President Visits New Owners of Waynetown Ag Center
On Saturday, February 18, ACI President Amy Cornell and her family, stopped by the Waynetown Ag Center to congratulate the new owners. The family of Ray and Natalie Bridwell recently purchased the mill previously owned by David Rusk and Sam Simmons. WAC will continue to specialize in making feed to customer specifications. Click here for more information.
L-R: Ray Bridwell, Amy Cornell, Savannah Corn
ell and Christian Bridwell stop during a tour for a quick photo
ISDA Video Contest for Students
In celebration of National Ag Day this year, Lt. Governor Suzanne Crouch, Indiana's Secretary of Agriculture and Rural Development, is joining the Indiana State Department of Agriculture (ISDA) to encourage Hoosier students to participate in a video contest, hosted by the Indiana Family of Farmers (IFoF). To enter, all students have to do is grab a video camera or smartphone, and in 30 seconds to one minute, answer the question, "What does the future of agriculture mean to me?" Click here for more information.
Weekly Washington Report - 2-20-17
- The Senate approved former Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt as the new EPA Administrator on Friday with a vote of 52-46 with Democratic Senators Heidi Heitkamp and Joe Manchin voting in favor and Republican Senator Susan Collins voting against
- President Trump's nominee for Labor Secretary is unknown to agriculture - read more here.
- The House Agriculture Committee approves two key bills - the Pesticide Registration Enhancement Act and Reducing Regulatory Burdens Act of 2017. Click here to see the bills and here to read the statement from CropLife America.
- The House Agriculture Committee met this week to set the stage for the new Farm Bill. Click here for more.
INDOT Welcomes Engagement from Stakeholders
INDOT has a renewed focus on engaging stakeholders in the earliest states of project selection, development and delivery. Each quarter a Stakeholder Engagement Group (SEG) meets to discuss strategies on focusing on improving outreach, involvement and participation. Mark your calendars for the upcoming district meetings. You can learn about upcoming projects and key INDOT programs. This is an excellent opportunity to speak with agency team members representing a number of INDOT programs.
- Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - Seymour District Office, 185 Agrico Lane, Seymour, Indiana from 4 to 7 p.m. (local time)
- Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - Vincennes Sub District Office, 3650 South U.S. 41, Vincennes, Indiana from 4 to 7 p.m. (local time)
- Thursday, March 30, 2017 - Crawfordsville District meeting to be held at Crawfordsville Public Library, 205 South Washington, Crawfordsville, Indiana from 4 to 7 p.m. (local time)
- Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - LaPorte District Office, 315 East Boyd Boulevard, LaPorte, Indiana from 3 to 6 p.m. (local time)
- Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - Fort Wayne Sub District Office, 5333 Hatfield Road, Fort Wayne, Indiana from 4 to 7 p.m. (local time)
- Thursday, April 13, 2017 - Greenfield District meeting to be held at INDOT Traffic Management Center, 8620 East 21st Street, Indianapolis, Indiana from 4 to 7 p.m. (local time)
Question? Visit INDOT's Statewide Transportation Improvement Program web page by clicking HERE.
ACI ANNUAL BUSINESS MEETING
MARCH 30 - BECK'S CENTER
|ACI Board of Directors
Lowe's Pellets & Grain
IPFACA Past Chair
IGFA BOARD MEMBERS
J. P. Morgan Securities, LLC
Dr. Ken Foster
IPFACA BOARD MEMBERS
Crop Fertility Specialist
Roy Umbarger & Sons
Dr. Joe Anderson