April is here, not sure where March went. Is it just me or did it seem like just yesterday it was February?
The month of April has been reserved as the Month of the Young Child in the State of Colorado; please join the many organizations working for the youth of our community by participating in the many upcoming events. Children's House continues to collaborate with Montelores Early Childhood Council on the Children's Festival; scheduled for April 29th, 9am-2pm at Cortez Rec. Center. As with past fairs, we encourage your attendance and request interested parties to volunteer a bit of your time to ensure the success of this annual event. Please keep an eye out in your email for volunteer sign up. This year we are looking for runners, info. desk greeters, and guides for traffic flow.
April is also recognized nationally as Child Abuse Awareness Month; you can show your support by donning blue during the month of April and posting to your photo to your Instagram or Facebook Account (#ChildAbusePreventionMonth, #CO4Kids)
"April was first declared Child Abuse Prevention Month by presidential proclamation in 1983. Since then, April has been a time to acknowledge the importance of families and communities working together to prevent child abuse. In Child Maltreatment 2014 (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration on Children, Youth and Families, Children's Bureau) it was reported that in FFY 2014 in the fifty states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico, an estimated 646,261 children were victims of child abuse or neglect; and 1,580 children died as a result of abuse or neglect. The majority of child abuse cases stemmed from situations and conditions that can be preventable when community programs and systems are engaged and supportive. A community that cares about early childhood development, parental support, and maternal mental health, for instance, is more likely to foster nurturing families and healthy children."
Locally Four Corners Advocacy Center works hard for the youngest members of our community by providing support to children and families, providing education to educators, youth partners and community leaders, and victim advocacy. Read Four Corners Advocacy Centers April Newsletter here.
- Monday April 3rd-PTO meets @ Beech Campus, 5:30-6:30pm, Free Childcare Provided
- Tuesday April 4th-School Accountability Committee (SAC) @ Beech Campus, 4pm
- Thursday April 6th-Mesa Room Field Trip
- Monday April 10th-Finance Committee meets @ Beech Campus, 5:30pm
- Thursday April 13th-Canyon Room Field Trip
- Thursday April 13th-Parent Education Night, 5:30pm-6:30pm @ Children's House, Free Childcare Provided
- Monday April 17th-Board of Directors meet @ Beech Campus, 5pm. Elementary/Middle School Board meet starting at 6:30 pm
- Thursday April 20th-Children's House All School Field Trip-Earth Day seed spreading
- Friday April 21st-2017-2018 New Family Orientation/Observation/Tour 4pm
- Saturday April 29th-MECC & Children's Kiva Annual Children's Festival, Cortez Recreation Center 9am-2pm
Learning mathematical concepts in a Montessori classroom begins concretely and progresses towards the abstract. They are developed from simple to complex. Process is taught first and facts come later. Order, coordination, concentration, and independence are experienced by the child using these materials...."
When: Monday, April 3, 2017 @ 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
Where: Children's Kiva Montessori School @ 25 N. Beech Street, Cortez
Please come and bring a side dish food to share. FREE Pizza! FREE Childcare!
Bring any suggestions or concerns to the meeting. Current items up for discussion are:
Teacher Appreciation Celebration
Spring Fundraiser and
Increasing avenues for parent involvement.
|From our Board of Directors.....
Greetings from your Children's House Board of Directors! We hope everyone enjoyed a restful spring break.
Board recruitment season is upon us. We continue to search for additional Board members, and committee members. Contact Shamai for details at
Our next Board meeting is Monday, April 17th at 5pm at the Elementary/Middle School building. Please join us! Enjoy your spring!
It's not too late to support Children's House in meeting our Annual Appeal goal of $5000.00.
- Children's House is a non-profit school. Every year Children's House budgets up to $29,000.00 in tuition assistance. Our unique Tuition Assistance program is funded in-house through foundation and fundraising support, strategic planning, and key partnerships with local agencies such as RE-1 School District.
- Did you know that 100% of Children's House tuition is subsidized? Even our posted tuition rates are subsidized between the amounts of $75- to $100- per month in order to remain competitive with other local early childhood programs. This means that our school is unable to invoice families for tuition levels that would help our program break even on its costs to operate
- Children's House strives to be a school for every child; ensuring ethnic and socio-economic diversity within our school community.
Your questions, concerns and ideas are important; please come see me. I am available in the office Monday through Friday, 8am-3:30pm except during school closure, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or at 970-565-8586 during office hours. I attend frequent meetings during the week so if I miss you, please leave me a message, I will get back to you. When I am out of the office, Yvonne will be onsite to assist you.