Stuffed peppers, zucchini, cabbage…a pumpkin will give you a rich, sweet base.
Spanish Stuffed Whole Pumpkin
- (1) 8” pumpkin
- 1 onion diced
- ½ red pepper diced
- 2 tomatoes diced or 2 tablespoons tomato Paste
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1 med-large sweet potato diced
- ½ cup rice
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1-2 teaspoons sweet pimenton
- ½ teaspoon hot pimenton
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Carve off the top of the pumpkin creating a 4-5” opening. Scoop out the seeds and put the top and bottom on a baking pan or large pie plate.
3. In a large pan, sauté the onion and red pepper for 4 minutes over medium high heat. Add the garlic, sweet potato and rice and stir for 1 minute. Sprinkle with the 2 pimentons, 2 teaspoons of salt and the tomato, stir and add the stock. Simmer for 5 minutes and turn off. Stir in the parsley.
4. Spoon the mixture into the pumpkin and put the top on. Roast for 45-60 minutes until the pumpkin is soft.
5. Let sit for 10 minutes and slice like a pie into segments and serve.
Additions: Sauté some broken up sausage(a lamb merguez would be very yummy with a sprinkle of cinnamon!) with the onions and add ¼ cup of shredded cheese to the mix before stuffing into the pumpkin.