Customer Experience Trends, Metrics, and the Year of Purpose
Every year, Temkin Group highlights one theme that we think will be particularly important for companies in the coming year. In 2016 we focused on Emotion, in 2015 we focused on Employees, and in 2014 we focused on Empathy. And now, in 2017, we are focusing on ... Purpose.
Why "purpose," you might ask? Temkin Group has always been passionate about what drives and motivates people -- regardless of whether they are leaders, employees, or customers. Now more than ever, we believe that feelings of uncertainty around the world are prompting each of us to look for more purpose and meaning in our own lives. Read
my post introducing The Year of Purpose.
And for Temkin Group, the new year brings more than just a new thematic focus. At the beginning of every year we also publish our
annual listing of customer experience trends
You can find an overview of the 9 trends below.
Temkin Group research
we published over the previous month:
- State of CX Metrics, 2016. Temkin Group surveyed 183 companies to learn about how they use customer experience (CX) metrics and then compared their answers with similar studies we've conducted every year since 2011. See more details below.
- Lessons in CX Excellence, 2017. This report provides insights from the five winners of Temkin Group's CX Excellence Awards--Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC), Century Support Services, Crowe Horwath, Oxford Properties, and VCA. The report includes an appendix with the finalists' nomination forms.
We also recently published a new infographic,
State of VoC Programs
is a leading CX research, advisory, and training firm. We help the world's largest brands accelerate their transformational journeys towards customer-centricity and build loyalty by engaging the hearts and minds of customers, employees, and partners.
Our team combines CX thought leadership with a deep understanding of the dynamics of organizations to accelerate results.
2017 CX Trends
- Elevating Purpose. We expect more leaders to start sharpening and sharing their organization's purpose.
- Operationalizing Emotion. We expect even more organizations to focus on customer emotion and to begin embedding these emotion efforts into their ongoing operations.
- Orienting Around Customer Journeys. We expect more companies to realign their metrics, analytics, experience design, and innovation around customer journeys.
- Continuing... Mobile, Mobile, Mobile. We expect more companies to shift towards a mobile first strategy, designing customer offerings with the assumption that the primary interface may be a remote digital device.
- Embracing Employee Engagement. We expect a jump in EE activities, and we hope CX and human resources groups will finally start coming together to work on engaging employees.
- Federating Customer Experience. We expect many companies to shift to a federated CX model by developing CX Centers of Excellence, Enterprise CX Coordination, and Distributed CX Skills and Mindset.
- Predicting Through Behaviors. We expect more companies will start collecting behavioral data and then using it to predict customer attitudes and future activities.
- Tapping Into Speech Recognition. We expect more companies to expand their use of speech recognition for insights and interfaces.
- Smartening Self-Service. We expect more companies to adopt technologies such as virtual agents and interactive guides, which will make self-service even smarter.
In Case You Missed It...
Here is some of the research we discussed in recent journals:
- Temkin Loyalty Index. For the second straight year, we examined how loyal consumers feel towards 294 companies across 20 industries.
- Capturing Insights from Online Customer Communities. We identified how online customer communities can be part of next-generation voice of the customer programs.
- Tech Vendor Client Success Ratings. For the second year in a row, we asked 800 IT decision-makers to rate the client success efforts of their tech vendors and used their feedback to create Temkin Group's Client Success Ratings.
- The ROI of Customer Experience. We found that a moderate increase in CX generates an average revenue increase of $823 million over three years for a company with $1 billion in annual revenues.
- Net Promoter Benchmark Study. In our fifth annual Net Promoter® Score benchmark study,USAA, Cadillac, and Apple earned the highest NPS® out of 315 companies across 20 industries.
- State of VoC Programs. We found that only 16% of large companies are in the top two stages of VoC maturity.
- Translating Brand Promises into Employee Behaviors. This report provides best practices for making, embracing, and keeping brand promises.
- Tech Vendor NPS Benchmark, 2016 (B2B). Of the 62 tech vendors we evaluated, IBM, HPE outsourcing, IBM SPSS, and VMware earned the highest Net Promoter Score.
- State of Employee Engagement Maturity. We used Temkin Group's Employee Engagement Competency & Maturity Assessment to gauge the maturity levels and engagement efforts of large companies.
- Emotion-Infused Experience Design. This report explains how to design experiences that create stronger emotional connections with customers.
State of CX Metrics, 2016
In our sixth annual
State of CX Metrics
report, we looked at how large organizations use customer experience metrics. We found that the most commonly used metrics continue to be likelihood-to-recommend and satisfaction, while the most successful metric is transactional interaction satisfaction. Despite the fact that most companies have CX metrics in place, only 10% of companies regularly consider the effect of these measurements when they make day-to-day decisions.
Companies who participated in this benchmark also completed Temkin Group's CX Metrics Program Assessment, and here's what we found:
Temkin Group Research Plans and Updates
We have quite a few exciting new reports underway, including
CX Plans for 2017,
Infusing Emotion into Digital Experience Design,
Tech Vendor Product & Relationship Satisfaction, and
Engaging a Tethered Workforce.
- Research & Advisory subscriptions. Get access to leading-edge best practices, assessments, and benchmark data, in addition to ongoing advice from our CX Transformists, to help keep your efforts on track.
- CX training and workshops. We deliver leading-edge CX practices through in-house workshops, open-enrollment workshops, and customized training programs.
- Assessments of CX plans and capabilities. We identify gaps and opportunities in your CX plans and competencies.
- Informative and compelling speeches. We will inform and inspire your internal or client audiences.
If you're interested in Temkin Group's research or services, then drop me a line at
, visit our website at
, or give us a call at (617) 916-2075.
I hope that 2017 is a happy, healthy, and purposeful year for you and your family
Bruce Temkin, CCXP
Customer Experience Transformist & Managing Partner
Co-founder, Customer Experience Professionals Association
Net Promoter Score, Net Promoter, and NPS are registered trademarks of Bain & Company, Satmetrix Systems, and Fred Reichheld.
Customer Experience Matters is a registered trademark of Temkin Group.