Apple Rhubarb Pie
- Yields 9" Pie
Pastry Flour 250 g
All Purpose Flour 125 g
Granulated Sugar 15 g
Shortening 250 g
Cold Water 125 mL
Directions for flaky pastry
- Rub shortening into flour until reduced to irregular pea sized crumbs.
- Dissolve salt & sugar in cold water, add all at once. Mix just enough to incorporate. Do not over mix.
- Transfer dough to floured table, shape into thick roll cover and allow it to rest for a few minutes before rolling.
Directions for Crumble
Rub all the ingredients together until well blended and crumbly
Rhubarb 85 g
Apples - (Fuji or Cortland) 4 apples
Sugar 250 g
Cornstarch 50 g
Ground Cinnamon (to taste) 1 g
Ground Nutmeg (A pinch) 1 g
Butter 8 g
Directions for Filling
- Cut Rhubarb into 1/2" pieces
- dredge Rhubarb pieces with sugar - leave overnight to draw out water.
- Onto a well floured surface, roll out pastry dough and carefully roll up the pastry around your rolling pin and unroll onto a 9" pie plate. Cut off excess dough for a clean edge.
- Preheat oven to 350oF. Slice Apples into a bowl, add in drained rhubarb. Sprinkle sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon & nutmeg over and toss well until apples & rhubarb are thoroughly coated.
- Pile the mixture into the pie shell and dot with butter.
- sprinkle the crumble on top
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes until juices inside are thick and bubbling. Crust should be a deep golden color.