HazingPrevention.org (HPO) is soliciting applications from students interested in serving on the HPO Board of Directors as the Collegiate Student Representative. Each member of a nonprofit board has to be passionate about the mission of the organization they have committed to lead. The HPO board is responsible for fulfilling the organization's mission, being good stewards of our financial resources, fulfilling our commitments to those who sponsor us, and building an organization that will be strong and vital not just now, but for decades to come. The mission of HPO is to empower people to prevent hazing, and our vision is to do this by developing our own programs and harnessing external resources that will diminish society's tolerance of hazing. We seek to inspire everyone's belief in their own ability to prevent and stand up to hazing.
The student representative is a very important position with HPO. Following are some of the expectations for the position. The initial term begins July 1, 2014 and concludes June 30, 2015:
- Attend board meetings which are held up to three times a year, usually in October, February, and June. Meetings are generally Friday evening through midday Sunday.
- Participate in conference call meetings. Conference calls take place one to two times a year.
- Actively participate in meetings and correspondence throughout the year.
- Positively serve the mission, vision, and values associated with HPO.
- Attend the 2014 Novak Institute for Hazing Prevention and the June board meeting held in conjunction with the Institute. Travel and costs to attend the Institute are paid for by HPO.
This position is a one-year term with potential for a one-year reappointment if that year falls within one year of graduation and if the student is still committed to serve. The new student representative is appointed by the Board of Directors at the February meeting and is notified shortly thereafter to allow time to adjust scheduling to attend the Novak Institute in June. HPO reimburses all costs associated with travel for the student representative and waives the fees to attend the Institute.
To apply for this position, please fill out and submit the application HERE and the requested supporting documentation by December 1, 2013. Thank you, again, for your interest in serving HazingPrevention.Org in a leadership role. As we continue to address the prevention of hazing at all levels, we are always excited to have new ideas from undergraduates and graduate students who are willing to give their time to further our mission.