Coleman Young Foundation Scholars - Apply
Applications are currently being accepted until March 13, 2012.
Please read the information below before applying.
The application for CAYF Scholars Program is complete and valid only when you have submitted all of the following materials:
* Statement of need declaration
* Proof of family income (2011 W-2 and 2011 Federal Tax Return, or a statement of welfare)
* Resident in the City of Detroit
* An official transcript of grades and either the ACT or SAT results
* Three letters of recommendation. At least one must be from the high school counselor or instructor on official letterhead and one must be from an individual who is not associated with the high school
You will be given the opportunity to upload electronic versions of these documents, or you will be able to mail them in to:
Thelma Bush, Scholarship Program Manager
Coleman A. Young Foundation
2111 Woodward Avenue, Suite 600
Detroit, MI 48201
Applicants must be residents of the City of Detroit who will graduate from a City of Detroit high school - public, private or parochial - during the award year.
Applicants also must:
* Plan to attend one of the country's fully- accredited, Historically Black Colleges/Universities, or an accredited, four-year college or university in Michigan.
* Meet all admission requirements of the college or university.
* Plan to pursue a degree in an area of emphasis for the Foundation. Current areas include: Liberal Arts, Education, Economics, Finance, Engineering, and Science.
* Have a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or better. Consideration is given to students with lower grade point averages, when the potential to succeed and the determination to achieve are evident.
* Demonstrate financial need. Proof of annual family income is required. A 2011 W-2 tax form filed with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is required to accompany this application and must be signed by parent or guardian. The application is not accepted without this information.
* Complete a scholarship application and supply the required attachments.
* Proof of residence in the City of Detroit.
The Scholarship Award
CAYF awards scholarships of up to $5,000 annually for a maximum of $20,000 over 4 or 5 years to eligible graduating high school seniors. Funds must be used to pay for expenses related to attending college including tuition, fees, room and board, books, and transportation.
Notification of Finalists
Scholar semi-finalists will be notified no later than April 30th and must participate in an interview process. Finalists will be notified no later than May 5, 2012 and must participate in the annual awards program on Monday May 14, 2012.
Renewal of Awards
Scholarship awards of up to $5,000 per year are renewable for a maximum of $20,000 over 4 or 5 years. Recipients must continue to 1) demonstrate financial need, 2) maintain satisfactory academic performance, 3) demonstrate their ability to succeed, with proper tutoring, counseling and guidance, and 4) maintain a high level of community commitment and involvement.