WMHS ACCESS NEWSLETTER SEPTEMBER 2017
Watkins Mill High School CollegeTracks Team
Ms. Lindsey Barclay
Ms. Estefani Rondon
Mr. Dominic Chappell
|Fall Workshop Calendar
WELCOME BACK SENIORS!
We are thrilled to welcome students back to school and CollegeTracks for the new year! There is a lot to accomplish and we are excited about helping you complete your college milestones.
Whether you attended Summer Jumpstart workshops or we haven't seen you in a while, NOW is the perfect time to
schedule an appointment with us or attend our Fall Workshops!
Remember, we can help you:
What have you gotten done with CollegeTracks this summer?
Picked out colleges to apply to and applied to scholarships.
What is your favorite part about coming to CollegeTracks?
I get help with college from people who can understand where I'm coming from.
What advice do you have for other 12th graders who have not come to CollegeTracks yet?
Get your stuff together before the deadlines. Do not play with your future.
What degree did you earn and what is/was your career?
I earned a Juris Doctor from American University and worked as an International Lawyer.
What is your favorite food?
Crispy french fries (with lots of salt and ketchup)
What advice would you give a high school senior?
Do the best you can with what you have and ask for help with what you don't have and need.
INTRODUCING THE FAFSA!
What is the FAFSA and why do I need to submit it?
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid. You must submit it to obtain federal and state financial aid for college this year and every year that you are enrolled in college.
Who can submit the FAFSA?
U.S. Citizens and legal Permanent
Residents are eligible to fill out the FAFSA. Other students are also eligible! Find out more from CollegeTracks staff.
When do I submit the FAFSA? The 2018-2019 FAFSA opens on October 1, 2017. Complete the FAFSA before your earliest college financial aid deadline.
What can I do now to prepare for the FAFSA? (1) Create an FSA ID (federal student aid username and password) for the student and for one parent, (2) Complete the FAFSA4caster to estimate the amount of financial aid your family may receive, (3) Gather 2016 tax returns.
CollegeTracks will help students and families submit the FAFSA beginning in October. Stop by CollegeTracks Room A006 to make a FAFSA appointment today!!
SENIORS DO NOW!
- Complete your resume
- Complete your Brag Sheet
- Email us your college essay draft for review and feedback
- Review your college list with us
- Begin completing your Common Application
- Begin completing your Coalition Application if you are applying to University of Maryland- College Park
- Create an FSAID for yourself and one parent
- Identify 4 scholarships that you can apply for
- Sign up for ACT prep with CollegeTracks if you plan to take the October or December ACT - contact Mrs. E
Schedule an appointment with CollegeTracks TODAY!
PREPARING FOR THE ACT:
The September 9th ACT is approaching!
Keep the following tips in mind as you prepare for the test this month:
- Take a practice test
- Sleep well the night before taking the ACT.
- Eat a healthy breakfast.
- Bring a watch, #2 pencils, a good eraser, a permitted calculator, and snacks on the day of the exam.
- Have a printed copy of your ACT Admission Ticket and acceptable form of ID.
- Make a transportation plan to and from the testing location.
GOOD LUCK SENIORS!
MAXIMIZE YOUR COLLEGE OPTIONS!
Some deadlines are just around the corner! Make sure you are using your time wisely this semester so you can enjoy Prom and other Senior activities with your friends during the Spring semester!
- VISIT COLLEGES - Go on road trips, drive to local colleges, take public transportation to area universities. See what the colleges you are interested in are like.
- APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIPS - Check the CollegeTracks scholarship packet, check your emails from CollegeTracks, and do scholarship searches to access more free money for college!
Let Ms. Barclay, Mr. Dom or Mrs. E know if you're applying for any of these scholarships!
Staples for Students Sweepstakes
September 16, 2017
$50,000 and a trip to Las Vegas to attend Lady Gaga World tour
Must Be ag
e 13 or older.
Must Be a United states Citizen. Must v
isit a participating Staples location and make a
purchase of at least $25 to receive a unique code
which will serve as your entry into the sweepstakes or
a unique entry code by visiting the sponsor's website.
Siemens Competition in Math, Science, and Technology
September 19, 2017
Available to all high school students. You must be a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident to apply. developed in an individual.
Shout it Out Scholarship
September 30, 2017
ELIGIBILITY: Must be age 13 or older, and a legal resident of the United States. Must enroll in an accredited post-secondary institution or higher education by 2020. Applicants will be asked to submit an online written response to "If you could say one thing to the entire world at once, what would it by and why?".
Frostburg is a medium-sized, 4-year, public university located in Frostburg, Maryland.
Frostburg has been named a College of Distinction for its excellence in student engagement, high-quality teaching, vibrant community and successful graduates.
Popular majors include engineering, education, communications, psychology, and animal behavior.
The Lane University Center is the hub of student social life and is located in the heart of the Frostburg campus.
- Watkins Mill High school administrators and staff, we appreciate all you do to support and encourage students!
- Congratulations to all of the Seniors who attended Summer Jumpstart Workshops. You rock, keep it up!
- Thank you to the CollegeTracks volunteers for your help with summer workshops and ACT Prep, we couldn't have done it without your support!
WHERE TO FIND US?
Thursdays, & Fridays