WHS ACCESS NEWSLETTER SEPTEMBER 2017
Wheaton High School CollegeTracks Team
Ms. Meghan Lynch
Mr. Dwaine Brown
Ms. Rula Zaru
WELCOME BACK SENIORS!
We are thrilled to welcome students back to school and CollegeTracks for the new year! There is a lot to accomplish and we are excited about helping you complete your college milestones.
FALL WORKSHOP SCHEDULE
and stop by CollegeTracks to sign up for workshops today!
Whether you attended Summer Jumpstart workshops or we haven't seen you in a while, NOW is the perfect time to schedule an appointment with us! Remember, we can help you:
What excites you most about senior year?
Getting to see all of my friends!
What do you like most about being a part of CollegeTracks?
Getting the opportunity to meet all of the amazing staff and having a better chance to go to college!
What college are you applying to first in the fall?
University of Maryland- College Park
What advice do you have for juniors who are beginning their college application journeys?
Join CollegeTracks NOW and get ready for your future!
INTRODUCING THE FAFSA!
What is the FAFSA and why do I need to submit it?
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid. You must submit it to obtain federal and state financial aid for college this year and every year that you are enrolled in college.
Who can submit the FAFSA?
U.S. Citizens and legal Permanent
Residents are eligible to fill out the FAFSA. Other students are also eligible! Find out more from CollegeTracks staff.
When do I submit the FAFSA? The 2018-2019 FAFSA opens on October 1, 2017. Complete the FAFSA before your earliest college financial aid deadline.
What can I do now to prepare for the FAFSA? (1) Create an FSA ID (federal student aid username and password) for the student and for one parent, (2) Complete the FAFSA4caster to estimate the amount of financial aid your family may receive, (3) Gather 2016 tax returns.
CollegeTracks will help students and families submit the FAFSA beginning in October. Stop by CollegeTracks Room 1007 to make a FAFSA appointment today!!
SENIORS DO NOW!
- Complete your resume
- Complete Naviance Forms
- Email us your college essay draft for review and feedback
- Solidify your college list
- Begin completing your Common Application
- Begin completing your Coalition Application if you are applying to University of Maryland- College Park
- Create an FSAID for yourself and one parent
- Identify 3 scholarships that you can apply for
- Sign up for ACT prep with CollegeTracks if you plan to take the October or December ACT
Schedule an appointment with CollegeTracks TODAY!
PREPARING FOR THE ACT:
The September 9th ACT is approaching!
Keep the following tips in mind as you prepare for the test this month:
- Take a practice test
- Sleep well the night before taking the ACT.
- Eat a healthy breakfast.
- Bring a watch, #2 pencils, a good eraser, a permitted calculator, and snacks on the day of the exam.
- Have a printed copy of your ACT Admission Ticket and acceptable form of ID.
- Make a transportation plan to and from the testing location.
MAXIMIZE YOUR COLLEGE OPTIONS!
Some deadlines are just around the corner! Make sure you are using your time wisely this semester so you can enjoy Prom and other Senior activities with your friends during the Spring semester!
- VISIT COLLEGES - Go on road trips, drive to local colleges, take public transportation to area universities. See what the colleges you are interested in are like.
- APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIPS - Check the CollegeTracks scholarship packet, check your emails from CollegeTracks, and do scholarship searches to access more free money for college!
Let Ms. Lynch, Mr. Brown, or Ms. Rula know if you're applying for any of these scholarships!
Staples for Students Sweepstakes
September 16, 2017
$50,000 and a trip to Las Vegas to attend Lady Gaga World tour
Must Be ag
e 13 or older.
Must Be a United states Citizen. Must v
isit a participating Staples location and make a
purchase of at least $25 to receive a unique code
which will serve as your entry into the sweepstakes or
a unique entry code by visiting the sponsor's website.
Siemens Competition in Math, Science, and Technology
September 19, 2017
Available to all high school students. You must be a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident to apply. developed in an individual.
Shout it Out Scholarship
September 30, 2017
ELIGIBILITY: Must be age 13 or older, and a legal resident of the United States. Must enroll in an accredited post-secondary institution or higher education by 2020. Applicants will be asked to submit an online written response to "If you could say one thing to the entire world at once, what would it by and why?".
Frostburg is a medium-sized, 4-year, public university located in Frostburg, Maryland.
Frostburg has been named a College of Distinction for its excellence in student engagement, high-quality teaching, vibrant community and successful graduates.
Popular majors include engineering, education, communications, psychology, and animal behavior.
The Lane University Center is the hub of student social life and is located in the heart of the Frostburg campus.
- Wheaton High school administrators and staff, we appreciate all you do to support and encourage students!
- Congratulations to all of the Seniors who attended Summer Jumpstart Workshops. You rock, keep it up!
- Thank you to the CollegeTracks volunteers for your help with summer workshops, we couldn't have done it without your support!
WHERE TO FIND US?
Thursdays, & Fridays