The Blue Moon herd has a perfect stream to help them keep cool, but here are some tips if you don't have a stream in your pasture.
1. Hose off bellies and legs of your alpacas with a garden hose - even the most timid will approach you to get cooled off. If you haven't already done so this is a great time to teach them their names!
2. Provide fans inside the barn. However, check often! If you have crias due, a mom can give birth in front of a fan and the baby might get severely chilled.
3. Put out a bucket of cool water with electrolytes. A splash of lemon lime Gatorade works well.
4. Provide shade for all alpacas. The timid ones will be left out in the sun if there is not enough space. Consider tents or canopies to help.
5. Consider running a timer attached to a sprinker hose to cool them when you cannot be home. Concrete pavers placed around the sprinklers help to minimize mud.
6. Always be sure your alpacas have been shorn before the heat of summer arrives.