It's that time of year! Here are out dates until the end of the year - YIKES!
||5th Grade to BizTown
||PTA Planning Committee Meeting
||HCE & MDE Fiddlers Spring Concert in the Cafe
||Faculty Appreciation Luncheon
||3rd and 4th Grade Math STAAR
5th Grade Math STAAR Retest
||3rd and 4th Grade Reading STAAR
5th Grade Reading STAAR Retest
||5th Grade Science STAAR
||Decorate for Winds of Time
||Leadership Council to Casa de Esperanza
||Last SPIRAL day of the year
||5th Grade Track Meet
Bear Blvd current PK visit HCE
Other PK students coming to Kinder at HCE next year will visit
||Last General PTA Meeting: New board is inducted, PTA Lifetime Memberships awarded - don't miss it!
||Save the Date
||GALLERY NIGHT (tentative Technology Showcase)
||Bike to School Day (tentative Bike Rodeo)
Book Swap Day - choose a book for summer
4th & 5th Talent Show Dress Rehearsal 8:15
||Times Coming Soon
||Pulishers' Picnic - make your lunch and come eat together as a family while your student shares their portfolio for the year
||5th Grade Party after school
||4th Grade Choir to SBISD Choir Festival
2nd & 3rd Grade Talent Show Dress Rehearsal
||Last CIT meeting - For 16-17 members and 17-18 members
||HCE Remembering Cougars Memorial Ceremony
||WINDS OF TIME CEREMONY
SCHOOL HOLIDAY - MEMORIAL DAY
||Kinder and 1st Talent Show Dress Rehearsal
|HCE Talent Show for K-1, 2-3 then 4-5
NO NIGHT PERFORMANCE
||Clap Out followed by 5th Grade Graduation
||Pizza Lunch thanks to PTA
||DISMISSAL FOR SUMMER!!!
Next week is Teacher Appreciation Week!
Teachers work hard year-round and truly put their hearts into making a difference one student at a time. Now's your chance to say "thank you" to our fabulous HCE teachers!
There are no other people in our society who do so much for so many and for such modest compensation as teachers. They embody compassion, commitment and professionalism on a daily basis. They deserve all the respect, support and appreciation our community can provide.
Give a hug, write a note, give a gift or simply say "I appreciate you." Big or small, every gesture counts!
P.S. Don't forget Art, Music and Health Fitness teachers. We love and appreciate all of them!!
Teacher Appreciation Week!
We only have a handful of volunteers for lunch duty for teacher appreciation week!
Our teachers will have to enjoy the nice lunches you are bringing them while standing on their feet walking around the cafeteria.
Please help out, the teachers love it and it's a great way to show how much you love and appreciate all they have done for our children this year!
WHAT IS A FIDGET??
A fidget is a sensory toy used to increase focus for those
suffering from sensory processing disorder, ADD, ADHD, Anxiety or Autism. A fidget
provides the sensory input some students need to allow them
to pay attention, concentrate or relax. Some of our students have an accommodation to have access to a fidget during certain activites to provide this necessary sensory input.
Fidgets (and Rubics Cubes) are all the rage with all students lately and have become a huge distraction in class as they are played with instead of being used by students who have a sensory need to be met. Students may continue to bring fidgets and Rubics cubes to school and may play with them before 7:55, during recess, and after dismissal.
During instructional time a teacher may give a student permission to use a fidget if they n
eed to have it or have earned it with excellent behavior or effort on an assignment. Otherwise, fidgets and rubics cubes being played with in the classroom will be treated like any other toy and will be picked up and returned at the end of the day.
Thanks for supporting the teachers in eliminating this distraction.
JOIN US FOR HCE MEMORIAL DAY
THURSDAY, MAY 25
Before the Memorial Day weekend, Hunters Creek has planned an event honoring the many memorials we have on campus. On Thursday, May 25
we invite you join us as we honor and learn more about the memorials and the people that they commemorate.
These lost teachers and students have touched the lives of so many current and past HCE staff, students, and families. Our Leadership Council, Mrs. Cummings and Mrs. Chvatal have planned a wonderful week of memories that will educate our current students and staff about the lives of these special, missed Cougars. We want all students and faculty to understand what each HCE memorial represents and why these people are so special to HCE. We will end this sharing of memories with a special ceremony on May 25.
We will honor the following people and their memorials on HCE campus:
Robin Woods, HCE teacher
Kelly Sewell, HCE teacher
Nancy Ray, HCE teacher
Alana Harris Greenshaw, HCE student
Sam Schubert, HCE student
Nicole Lee, HCE student
We will also have a dedication ceremony for a garden that has been on campus for
several years that was started and maintained as a source of education by a retired teacher,
Mrs. Jeanette Domaschk.
After 43 years of teaching at HCE, she still loves to return to campus to work in the garden when she gets the chance. We will be honoring her service and commitment to HCE that evening as well.
Thursday May 25th
Gather in the front of the school and walk with us as we visit each space and hear from students who have educated our school about each memorial.
SBISD SCHOOL BOARD ELECTION
All registered voters within SBISD are reminded to vote in this year's School Board Elections. Early voting begins on April 24 and continues through May 2, and Election Day will be on Saturday, May 6. Please visit
for more information.
Early Voting sites include:
* Wayne F. Schaper Leadership Center (SBISD Administration Bldg.) 955 Campbell Road, 77024
* Don Coleman Community Coliseum,1050 Dairy Ashford, 77079
* Holy Cross Lutheran Church 7901 Westview, 77055
* City of Piney Point Village 7676 Woodway Suite, #300, 77063 (no voting at this location on
Election Day sites include:
The following seven Election Day voting locations will be open from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. on Saturday, May 6.
Voting locations are based on middle school attendance zones and home street address:
* Election Precinct No. 41 - Landrum Middle School, 2200 Ridgecrest, Houston, TX 77055
* Election Precinct No. 42 - Memorial Middle School, 12550 Vindon, Houston, TX 77024
* Election Precinct No. 43 - Spring Branch Middle School, 1000 Piney Point, Houston, TX
* Election Precinct No. 44 - Spring Woods Middle School, 9810 Neuens, Houston, TX 77080
* Election Precinct No. 45 - Spring Forest Middle School, 14240 Memorial, Houston, TX 77079
* Election Precinct No. 46 - Spring Oaks Middle School, 2150 Shadowdale, Houston, TX 77043
* Election Precinct No. 47 - Northbrook Middle School, 3030 Rosefield, Houston, TX 77080
- Trustee Josef Klam is unopposed for Position 1.
- Competing for the Trustee Position 2 are incumbent Chris Gonzalez and Mary Curry Mettenbrink, a non-profit executive.
All positions are for three-year terms.
If you need assistance on where to vote or for all other questions, please call 713-251-2217.
By Andrea Chvatal
Collection week is around the corner: May 1st - 5th.
Here are the opportunities to contribute:
1. Our hardworking Leadership Council studentsin grades 3 - 5 are going to visit Casa de Esperanza https://www.casahope.org/ and would like to take items for the children of the home. Items needed are: Diapers, sizes 4, 5, 6; Pull-Ups, large and XL; Diaper wipes, Ziploc bags, Similac Advance and Similac Sensitive Formula, Clorox disinfecting wipes, Liquid hand soap, Kleenex, kitchen trash bags. These items will be collected in room 7 - please have students deliver to that room
The Leadership Council students will go on a field trip to Casa de Esperanza to deliver the items personally and have a chance to hear about all the good Casa de Esperanza does.
2. Woodview Elementary, our sweet sister school, is collecting non-perishable food items to help restock The Houston Food Bank's generous donations given last Thanksgiving. We'd like to add to their collection. Any non-perishable food items can be bins in the front hallway and will be added to Woodview's contribution.
3. Uniforms are always in need at Woodview, either gently used or new. You can click on this link to contribute new uniforms to students in the following categories:
Polo cotton shirts are red, white, and navy blue
Pants are khaki and navy blue
Have your shipment of uniforms sent directly to Woodview Elementary,
c/o Martha Montoya - Sanchez, 9749 Cedardale Drive, Houston, 77055
How easy is that??
Uniforms can also be added to the collection in the food bins. Ms. Montoya will pick
them up and bring them to Woodview.
4. And, if it's easier for you, gift cards to Target or Walmart are welcome for either collection and will be divided evenly. Please send the gift card in an envelope addressed to Andrea Chvatal. The envelope can be left in the Front Office or given directly to me or the classroom teacher. Gift cards will not be collected on the stage.
Thank you so much for your support!
PTA President's Perspective
Hope everyone had a great week and is making it through this busy spring!
Our precious 1
graders performed an amazing BUGZ play on Thursday evening! They all looked so cute and did a great job singing and saying their lines. Thank you to all the
1st grade teachers and Mrs. Wilson
for their hard work to make the play a huge success!
Our Cougar Express editors deserve a big HIGH FIVE for all of the work they do to keep us informed about so many HCE PTA details and community events! The editors,
Jill Bell, Katie Bennett, Leslie Parkan and Teresa Witte
, take turns and spend an hour or more producing our wonderful newsletter every week.
also spends hours working to keep everyone informed of school happenings! Ladies, we greatly appreciate you working together to get out newsletter out each and every week!
Another shout out goes to
for maintaining and updating our wonderful PTA website throughout the year! The website is the best place to get information on all things PTA!
The yearbook is the publication that all students look forward to seeing!
has spent many hours working to create this very popular book. Thank you so much, Nan and all the grade level
! We can't wait to see the 2016-2017 yearbook and all the memories captured!
Enjoy your weekend!
HCE PTA President
It's Talent Show Time!
Dust off those tutus, tune up those instruments, and warm up those voices.
During school performance only: Wednesday, May 31, 2017
All Grades Invited to Perform!
To participate please pick up a participation form/permission slip from the front office.
The talent show will be May 31st during school and students must try out to participate.
Please bring books for rising
th graders and 1
All students will visit the HCE library on Friday, May 19th to pick one book to read this summer and jumpstart their summer reading
. All HCE students will be able to choose a book regardless of whether or not they have donated a book.
Please donate (
Now until May 1st
) your gently used books to the HCE Summer
Reading Book Exchange. All levels of reader from 1st to 6th grade acceptable. Please no picture only books or crossword or activity books.
All extra books collected will be donated to our sister school Woodview Elementary.
There is a
blue recycling bin
for collections in the
HCE front lobby
Have you ordered your YEARBOOK?
Are you sure?
Online sales end Monday, May 1st!
We are looking for 3 volunteers to help with the HCE PTA financial reconciliation.
If you are good with numbers and processes we need you. Please contact Katrina Stephenson if you are able to help!
IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO DONATE TO HCE ANNUAL FUND!!
send through your child's backpack or mail to:
Ketti Collins, 851 Country Ln, Houston, TX 77024
4 Easy Ways To Help Hunters Creek Elementary!!
**Write the Grade, Student and Teacher names on your bag/envelope of official coupon.
Box Tops for Education -
- Simply clip Box Top$ from hundreds of participating brands.
- Please, put Box Top$ in a plastic bag (or envelope) labeled with the child's and teacher's name and current grade.
- Send only valid coupons, the coupons EXPIRE after 3 years.
- The top 5 classrooms from the entire school with the most Box Top$ submitted during the entire school year will enjoy an ice cream treat in the month of May.
Labels for Education -
- Simply Clip and save UPCs and beverage/ sauce caps from participating products. Check out the complete list at www.labelsforeducation.com.
- Please, put Labels for Education in a plastic bag (or envelope) labeled with the child's and teacher's name and current grade.
Kroger's "Neighbor to Neighbor" Program -
- Link your Kroger Card to HCE online at www.krogercommunityrewards.com. Organization #83363. HCE receives 1% of every purchase made with your Kroger Plus Card.
- Important: You have to RELINK your card each school year so don't forget to do this ASAP!
(same account as
) and select
HCE as charitable organization; this will donate 0.5% of your purchase!
On your first visit, you select a charitable organization to receive donation before
You begin shopping Go to: "or pick your charitable organization" and type
Hunters Creek Elementary and select Houston, Texas.
It will come as PTA
Texas congress 4932, or you can also look for the school with EIN number:
These are all easy ways to earn money for HCE! Contact Marilu Kurtz for more information or with questions at
Don't forget to complete your
ANNUAL VOLUNTEER REGISTRATION.
You need to do 2 things to complete your annual volunteer registration.
2. View the HCE Volunteer Training video and sign the google form. Or, attend a training at school the first day or first few weeks of school.
iKids U After-School Program
iKids U registration is going on now for the Summer(at Bunkerhill Elem) & 2017-2018
Turn in registrations at the HCE front office, visit iKids online at www.ikidsinc.com, or register by phone at 713-665-5200. iKids U offers a variety of onsite after-school opportunities at HCE including Stay & Play, Enrichment classes, and One on One services. Customize your child's after-school schedule with part-time and full-time options available! iKids U starts on the first day of school and classes are filling-up fast so enroll today!