||Parent Education - Internet/Cyber Safety @ Valley Oaks Elementary
||District Spelling Bee
5th Grade to Menil on WITS Trip
||3rd and 4th Practice STAAR Reading (altered lunch/specials schedules)
||GO TEXAN DAY and Square Dancing for K, 1, 2
Second Grade 9:00 a.m. - 9:50 a.m.
Kindergarten 9:50 a.m. - 10:40 a.m.
First Grade 10:40 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
||Family Fair Raffle Donations DEADLINE
||3rd and 4th Practice STAAR Math (altered lunch/specials schedules)
||PTA Rally Day in Austin!
|Feb 27 - Mar 2
||Family Fair Raffle in Cafeteria!!!!
||5th Practice STAAR Science (altered lunch/specials schedules)
||GREG TANG MATH FOR PARENTS @ Spring Branch Middle School Cafeteria
||Read Across America Day & Big Art Day
||Parent Education - Colleen O-Grady at Memorial Drive Elementary
Thanks to our HCE Dads' Club for donating books to Book Fair to be sure all of our HCE Cougars got to purchase a book and for sprucing up the baseball diamonds with new bases!
Your brisket purchases helped them do great things for us.
PTA LOVE BOMBS THE FACULTY
Valentines' Day is always a fun day for our students and an exhausting day for our teachers. But...this year our faculty had a wonderfully surprising surprise! It's hard to surprise teachers but our PTA Executive Board pulled it off - we even heard some screams around the building.
PTA Executive Board surprised each faculty member with a Love Bomb. They started the morning by popping into rooms to give a special love offering. Faculty members were asked to choose either a
dinner for their families, 'classroom cash' to spend for their kids or a day of planning - all courtesy of PTA.
CAMPUS IMPROVEMENT TEAM REPRESENTATIVES NEEDED
WE NEED YOU!!
The lottery drawing for our 2 vacant parent positions, 1 community rep position and 1 business rep position is next week, Wednesday, February 22nd @ 8am.
Currently we have 1 business rep application.
Please consider serving on the Campus Improvement Team. We meet at least 6 times a year for an hour.
Click below for an application or just email me to let me know you want to be included in the lottery and if you are a parent rep, community rep or business rep.
LOST AND FOUND FULL AGAIN
We were trying to wait until Spring Break to donate the lost and found items but it is VERY FULL.
We will donate items
on March 1. Please stop by to check for your child's lost items.
Parent Education Night
Internet/Cyber Safety Presentation
James M.T. Morrison
Tuesday, February 21, 2017 @ 6pm
Valley Oaks Elementary School
8390 Westview Drive
Join us for a parent presentation featuring steps to keep your kids safe online!
James Morrison has 18 years of experience working in IT with the FBI and serves as a local technical expert to the Houston Area Cyber Crimes Task Force.
He will lead an informative discussion on cyber safety topics including social media safety, cyberbullying, and computer safety.
Please join us on Friday, February 24, 2017 as we celebrate Go Texan Day.
Students can wear boots, hats, western shirts, jean, dresses or skirts.
Please no guns or spurs.
Go Texan Day
performances in the Gym
Second Grade 9:00 a.m.-9:50 a.m.
Kindergarten 9:50 a.m.-10:40 a.m.
First Grade 10:40 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
All students K - 5 are invited to Go Texan by wearing their
school appropriate (see above) western wear.
Parent Education Night
GREG TANG MATHEMATICS FOR PARENTS
Wednesday, March 1st, 5:00-6:00 pm
Spring Branch Middle School Cafeteria
Memorial Drive, Frostwood, and Hunter's Creek are coming together to host a
Parent Workshop with Greg Tang.
Greg is called the
for the dedication and passion he has shown in sharing his love of math with students, teachers, and parents.
This is an exciting opportunity for you to learn more about Greg's strategies, online games, and other resources, like Tangy Tuesday and the holiday challenges that we have been using at MDE.
Please make every effort to attend this workshop.
It will be worth your time.
HCE has only 100 positions.
Please enroll to attend at this link.
We will close enrollment when we reach 100 spots
There is still room!
Greg will have some of the Greg Tang math games available for
purchase at the workshop.
FAMILY FAIR DISMISSAL
March 3rd 2:45 - 6:00 pm HCE Field
The fair will be ready to open at 2:45 this year. Our goal is to plan for a safe, orderly dismissal. I recognize that many students may not go home the usual way, so this
FORM (CLICK HERE
) will make sure teachers know ahead of time how your child will go home on this day.
Keep in mind that
NO STUDENTS WILL BE ALLOWED TO GO DIRECTLY TO THE FAIR ON THEIR OWN.
Please complete and return the form on the back of this letter to your child's teacher by
Here is the process:
- Please get to school between 2:30 and 2:40 so you can find a parking place.
- Enter through the front doors or the gate between the gym and end of 5th grade building.
- Be ready to show picture ID, if you are not recognized when you enter.
- Proceed to your child's classroom. Wait outside the door until 2:40 dismissal announcement.
- Sign your child out for the day on the classroom sign-out page and proceed quickly to the field for Family Fair with your child.
- We need to have all parents/students out of the hallway by 2:55 for regular dismissal.
Also, if you would like for your child to wear flip-flops to the Fair, please pack them in his/her backpack and at the end of the day, all children can change shoes. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me or your child's teacher.
You will get this in paper form next week!
KEEP THIS PAGE FOR YOUR RECORDS.
By Andrea Chvatal
Ten of us from HCE just took a Love & Logic training session taught by one of the authors, Jim Fay. A huge "thank you!" to our PTA for making that possible. It was fun to learn from Jim - he had many stories to share about his experiences as an educator, an author and trainer.
Here's a great article, written by Jim's son, Dr. Charles Fay, about ways to motivate your child:
Have you ever found yourself wondering, "What's it going to take to motivate this kid?"
The science of intrinsic motivation is complex, involving a wide array of factors. One of the most important, yet perhaps the most ignored, involves the following truths:
Every child is born with a unique temperament and set of gifts.
We can parent well, but we cannot change the essence of who they are.
When we encourage them to focus on their gifts, this creates high motivation.
When we obsess over their weaknesses, we create frustration and apathy.
Generally speaking, traditional education has focused on the identification and remediation of weaknesses. This approach works well with some students. For many others it creates a train wreck of negative emotions and conflict between students and teachers, parents and their children, and parents and teachers.
Consider the following scenario:
You had a horrible day at work because your boss was upset with mistakes you made on tasks that you loathe. You spent most of the day correcting these mistakes.
Now you're heading home to your loving spouse. Entering the house, you hear, "We really need to talk. I visited with your boss over the phone today, and he told me that some of your skills are really low. That's okay. I love you. That's why we're going to start spending the evenings working on these issues so that you can bring up your performance at work. That means no TV until we get these things addressed."
Would you be highly motivated to work on your skill deficits... or highly motivated to find a more relaxing place to go after work?
Are you focusing primarily on your child's natural gifts, or are you dwelling on what's most difficult for them?
Big Art Day is an art happening to raise awareness of art education and art as a creative force in our communities on a BIG statewide scale. It is an attempt by the Texas Art Education Association (TAEA) to engage all art educators, their students and communities in a single day art event.
Mrs. Cummings will be sending home a project for students to complete at home and bring to school for Big Art Day.
March 2, 2017
PTA President's Perspective
What a fun week of kindness, bucket-filling, and Valentines parties galore! Thanks to all the volunteers who helped make our Valentines parties a success! AND a hug Thank You goes to the 5th grade graduation committee for organizing the pop rocks sales and to all the parents who supported our 5th Grade class!
Thank you to those who came to PTA meeting! PTA Members got to enjoy the volunteer appreciation breakfast hosted by the HCE staff and write letters their state representatives and senator to voice a need for changes to school funding!
Reminder - K - 2nd Western Day is next Friday.
Enjoy President's Day weekend - no school Monday!
HCE PTA President
The Family Fair Raffle is one of the most exciting events all year!
Here's what you need to know:
- Raffle Week is Monday, Feb. 27th through Thursday, Mar. 2nd.
- There are TONS of fun and exciting items that your child could win.
- All raffle items are donated by HCE parents. Please consider donating! The more items we have, the more winners we have!
- Raffle items are set up on tables in the cafeteria all week and students put their tickets in the ticket buckets for the items that they would like to win.
- Every student will get 1 free ticket to use in the raffle.
- If you want more tickets, you can purchase them at www.hcepta.com through Feb. 20th or you can send money to school during the week of Raffle. Many kids like to spread it out and bring money each day.
- Tickets are 50 cents each.
- Send the EXACT AMOUNT of money that you want to spend for tickets. We will not make change and send money back! If you send a $20, then your child will get $20 worth of tickets.
- Make sure your child's first and last name is on the bag/envelope of money that you send.
- Raffle money must be turned into the teachers when the students get to their classroom each morning. Every teacher has a "Raffle Bag" to collect the money. The bags will be collected after announcements and the tickets will be ready for the students when they go to lunch. No tickets will be sold during lunch!
- Students need to know that they cannot touch, pick up, or move the Raffle items or the ticket buckets. If they do, then they will not be eligible to win an item. There will be adult volunteers there to help them if they need it.
- Winners will be drawn on Thursday afternoon and announced to the students on Friday morning.
- Raffle winnings must go home on Friday! We will call you on Thursday night to let you know if there is a large item that you need to pick up.
HCE PTA SUMMER READING
Please donate (
Now until May 1st
) your gently used books to the HCE Summer Reading Book Exchange. All levels of reader from 1st to 6th grade acceptable. Please no picture only books or crossword or activity books.
All extra books collected will be donated to our sister school Woodview Elementary.
There is a blue recycling bin for collections in the HCE front lobby!
All students will visit the HCE library on Friday, May 19th to pick one book to read this summer and jumpstart their summer reading. All HCE students will be able to choose a book regardless of whether or not they have donated a book.
We are looking for 3 volunteers to help with the HCE PTA financial reconciliation.
If you are good with numbers and processes we need you. Please contact Katrina Stephenson if you are able to help!
ORDER YOUR HCE YEARBOOK TODAY!
IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO DONATE TO HCE ANNUAL FUND!!
send through your child's backpack or mail to:
Ketti Collins, 851 Country Ln, Houston, TX 77024
4 Easy Ways To Help Hunters Creek elementary!!
Please make sure you summit all the Box Tops by February 25, 2017!!
**Write the Grade, Student and Teacher names on your bag/envelope of official coupon.
Box Tops for Education -
- Simply clip Box Top$ from hundreds of participating brands.
- Please, put Box Top$ in a plastic bag (or envelope) labeled with the child's and teacher's name and current grade.
- Send only valid coupons, the coupons EXPIRE after 3 years.
- The top 5 classrooms from the entire school with the most Box Top$ submitted during the entire school year will enjoy an ice cream treat in the month of May.
Labels for Education -
- Simply Clip and save UPCs and beverage/ sauce caps from participating products. Check out the complete list at www.labelsforeducation.com.
- Please, put Labels for Education in a plastic bag (or envelope) labeled with the child's and teacher's name and current grade.
Kroger's "Neighbor to Neighbor" Program -
- Link your Kroger Card to HCE online at www.krogercommunityrewards.com. Organization #83363. HCE receives 1% of every purchase made with your Kroger Plus Card.
- Important: You have to RELINK your card each school year so don't forget to do this ASAP!!
(same account as
) and select
HCE as charitable organization; this will donate 0.5% of your purchase!
On your first visit, you select a charitable organization to receive donation before
You begin shopping Go to: "or pick your charitable organization" and type
Hunters Creek Elementary and select Houston, Texas.
It will come as PTA
Texas congress 4932, or you can also look for the school with EIN number:
These are all easy ways to earn money for HCE! Contact Marilu Kurtz for more information or with questions at
Don't forget to complete your
ANNUAL VOLUNTEER REGISTRATION.
You need to do 2 things to complete your annual volunteer registration.
2. View the HCE Volunteer Training video and sign the google form. Or, attend a training at school the first day or first few weeks of school.
iKids U After-School Program
iKids U registration is going on now for the 201
Turn in registrations at the HCE front office, visit iKids online at www.ikidsinc.com, or register by phone at 713-665-5200. iKids U offers a variety of onsite after-school opportunities at HCE including Stay & Play, Enrichment classes, and One on One services. Customize your child's after-school schedule with part-time and full-time options available! iKids U starts on the first day of school and classes are filling-up fast so enroll today!