Mulch Leaves Using a Lawn Mower
This is probably the simplest and healthiest option for your yard. Many lawn mowers now have the option to mulch rather than blow a stream of cut grass and leaves to the side. Mulching your leaves in your yard provides compost.
Burn your Leaves in your Yard
If you decide to burn your leaves this must be done in compliance with city ordinance. Here are some important points to remember:
* When burning leaves have a water source nearby;
* Do not burn anything when the wind is over 10 mph;
* Do not burn limbs over 2 inches in diameter;
* Do not burn yard debris on the sidewalk, in the street, alleyway, gutter, drainage ditch or storm drain;
* Do not place debris of any kind (dirt, mulch, grass clippings, leaves, limbs, straw, paper or ashes) on the sidewalk, street, alleyway, gutter, drainage ditch or storm drain; and
* Some neighborhoods have covenants against burning. Please check your neighborhood's restrictions before burning.
Deliver Leaves to the City's Compost Site
The City has extended the hours of operation at the Composite Site located on Compress Road. Go online to Compost Site Hours. This service is free to residents and licensed commercial lawn contractors that can provide proof the leaves were collected in the city. Back to Index