During the past few years, there has been an emerging trend in felonious officer deaths as a result of ambush confrontations with armed individuals. From Dallas to Philly, Florida to New York, law enforcement officers face the threat of someone opening fire as they arrive at a call or when they are sitting in the patrol car writing a report. Not every law enforcement encounter involves an officer involved shooting and no officer is totally immune to ambushes. Officer must train to be alert and sharpen their situational awareness skills on and off duty. With the increasing proportion of police murders being classified as ambushes, education must include skills developed from lessons learned in the field. Officers must be prepared for the unexpected.
There are generally four factors that define an ambush assault:
- The element of surprise
- Concealment of the assailant, their intentions or weapons
- The suddenness of the attack
- A lack of provocation
This one-day class offers the following:
- A brief look at the history of ambush attacks on law enforcement.
- A review of definitions, classifications and types of ambush attacks.
- A review of current data provided by the Department of Justice COPS Program and IACP.
- A review of ambush attack cases on law enforcement officers.
- The Importance of Developing Situational Awareness Skills.
- The effective use of cover and the dangers associated with arriving at a scene, approaching a stopped car, parking to take a break, fueling up your car and entering and exiting the police station.
- The importance of your distance and the speed you approach each call.
- The importance of hands-on training: Beginning at the academy and throughout an officer's career.
- Preparing for the aftermath: Dealing with the mental and physical toll on the mind and body.
- Learning to develop a mindset of survival and the will to win. Safety is Job One!
THIS IS NOT A TACTICAL HANDS-ON TRAINING CLASS
All members of the criminal justice and legal community.
Ocala Police Department
402 South Pine Avenue
Ocala, Florida 34471
- DATES & TIMES:
Tuesday, July 17, 2018
Class starts at 8:00 AM Sharp - and ends at 5:00 PM (EST)
Business casual attire
Includes instruction, class materials, and certificate of completion
Cancellations and Substitutions:
- Upon submission of this registration, participants are responsible for payment of this course.
Please note that if you do not attend, you are still responsible for payment.
- Substitutions may be made at any time by phone, e-mail or online at the registration site.
: CLAUDE A. PICHARD, Training Force USA