On December 1st we heard the wonderful news that H.R 34 was passed by the Senate and will now go to President Obama's desk
for a final signature into law.
Mary Giliberti, NAMI's Chief Executive Officer, is quoted as saying,
"This is a pivotal milestone on the road to mental health
reform. By passing H.R 34, the House and Senate have shown that they consider fixing our nation's broken health system
to be a national priority."
As I complete my presidency, I know that NAMI Four Seasons will continue working hard in our local community to advocate, support and educate and help promote this new legislation. It has been an honor to work with the board and our volunteers and I will continue
to support NAMI Four Seasons from afar as my husband and I embark on a new phase of our lives; traveling and enjoying the
The holidays are upon us and unfortunately for most of us, the
stress that comes with it.
NAMI North Carolina has some ideas of how to alleviate some of
1) It can be very beneficial to write your thoughts down in a
notebook or journal. Journaling has been shown to be healing.
It can evoke mindfulness as you are in the moment when you
journal. It can also spark creativity.
2) Simply going for a walk can reduce stress. Walking can boost endorphins (the happy chemicals) in your brain and reduce
anxiety. It can also increase relaxation.
3) Another way to reduce stress is to take a bath. Bathing helps
your mood. It also is proven to help ease muscle pain. A bath
before bed helps to get a good night's sleep.
4) You may want to take a break from watching the News.
Negative news can impact our stress level. Getting a steady
stream of news from social media is also not advised.
5) There are many benefits to listening to music. Music can reduce stress and anxiety. It can relieve symptoms of depression. Music
can elevate your mood. It also can improve sleep quality.
These stress reducing ideas are small samples to get you thinking. Anything healthy that makes you feel better can help with stress
NAMI Four Seasons Board President