As farmers plow under their fields, cranberries are harvested by the bushel and CSA memberships come to a close (don't forget to sign-up for your winter shares and visit the winter markets!) we celebrate the end of another successful season in Southeastern Massachusetts. I am so proud and thankful as I reflect upon the bounty that we all share because of our agricultural community and economy. Your support of SEMAP is integral to this bounty.
SEMAP believes that local agriculture is essential to the health and vitality of our community and our economy. Sustaining farmers and farm businesses, and expanding access to local food are at the core of our mission. 2012 has been a banner year for SEMAP and your support has made our mission possible.
Highlights from SEMAP'S 2012 include...
- Ag & Food Conference attracted its highest attendance to date at 179, a 32% increase from 2011!
- SEMAP provided education and technical assistance to 612 farmers and foodies.
- SEMAP connected 8 farms to UMass Dartmouth, Northeastern, Salem State, Worcester State, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, and Mass Maritime through the Farm to Institution Pilot Program. Sales totaled $74,000 and 32,000 pounds of food.
- Most successful Farm to Table Dinner - celebrating local food on a working farm, which raised $58,000!
- 196 runners of all ages connected local food and healthy activity at our Local Food Celebration and 2nd Annual Bog Jog & Veggie Stampede.
Your commitment to SEMAP has ensured the success of all of these programs and events. Because of you - we are expanding our agricultural community and economy. Because of you, we are poised for an exciting 2013, which includes expanding the Farm to Institution Program to more farmers, restaurants and retail outlets.
Please make a contribution to SEMAP's annual fund today. Your gift, of any size, will help us ensure a bountiful 2013.
Thank you for your support and generosity!
SEMAP Executive Director