NEWS & UPDATES
Fall Product Program Training is Tropical!
Volunteer service team managers and fall product program managers: Pull out your Hawaiian shirts, grass skirts and leis because the volunteer in the best tropical dress takes home a prize!
Volunteer Service Team Manager and Fall Product Program Manager Tropical Training Dates:
- Cape Girardeau Service Center: September 24, 6:30pm
- Houston Plaza, 1593 N. HWY 63, Houston, MO: September 25, noon
- Jefferson City Service Center: September 25, 6:30pm
- Joplin Satellite Office: September 26, 6:30pm
- Springfield Service Center: September 27, 6:30pm
- Dexter Service Center: October 1, 6:30pm
A light meal will be provided and the Retail Shops will stay open until 6:00 pm the day of training so you may shop before the event.
Please register by Monday, September 17 and indicate which training you wish to attend. Springfield, Joplin, and Houston: 1-877-312-4764 x1126 or email@example.com. Jefferson City, Dexter and Cape Girardeau: 1-877-312-4764 x1346 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- November 1-15 Order taking period
- November 16 Orders due to troop leaders
- November 18 Orders due to SU*
- November 29 Orders due to Council*
- December 2 Deliveries to SU
*Please note date changes since the last VC edition.
- Mint Treasures, $8
- Caramel Treasures, $8
- Blueberry Pomegranate Nut Crunch, $7
- Whole Cashews, $7
- Chocolate Covered Raisins, $6
- Dark Chocolate Covered Pretzels, $6
- Chocolate Covered Peanuts, $6
- Gummi Berries, $6
- Butter Toasted Peanuts, $6
- Salsa Mix, $6
- Honey Roasted Peanuts, $6
- Dulce de Leche, $5 - NEW!
- Deluxe Pecan Clusters, $5
- Peanut Butter Bears, $5 - NEW!
Hay Shortage Results in Program Cancellation
Girl Scouts of the Missouri Heartland strives to bring its members exciting and educational leadership opportunities, but sometimes key components and requirements of these opportunities lie out of our hands. Such is the case with the fall horseback riding opportunities that typically occur at our Sacajawea-East Program Center. Due to the severe drought, our hay suppliers are unable to fill our orders. Unfortunately, it takes supplemental bales of hay to adequately feed the horses for the six month program at Sacajawea-East Program Center. As a result we will not be offering fall Troop or Individual Girl Horseback Riding at Sacajawea-East Program Center. This decision was made with the health of our horses in mind and is in the best interest of protecting our herd.
The horses will stay at Cherokee Ridge Program Center where the hay cutting was sufficient, along with pasture feeding, to maintain the herd over the winter. We are hopeful that after the winter we may be able to secure enough hay to resume spring programming at Sacajawea-East Program Center.
Troops and groups of 5 or more registered members will be able to register for horseback riding at Cherokee Ridge Program Center on the first and third Saturdays of every month. Please note the GSMH program centers will be closed for deer-hunting season and horseback riding will be suspended during this time.
If you are interested in signing up for horseback riding at Cherokee Ridge Program Center click on the Horseback Riding Program Information and Horseback Riding Registration Form links.
If you would like to make it a day or weekend adventure click on the Cherokee Ridge Program Center or the Latonka Program Center links to see what kinds of accommodations are available and what other types of adventures you can add to your trip.
Please feel free to contact Keely Elfrink, Leadership and Learning Specialist - Outdoor Program, with any questions: email@example.com.
Learn-to-Lead Southeast Still Open
You can still register to attend the Learn-to-Lead Training in the Southeast Region. The training was rescheduled and will take place from 8:00am to 4:30pm, September 18, at Tanner Christian Church in Sikeston.
To download session information, go to www.girlscoutsmoheartland.org/learn2lead
THE GIRL SCOUT PATHWAYS NEWS
Troop: Bronze and Silver Awards Change
Girl Scout Juniors through Ambassadors are eligible to work toward the Girl Scout Highest Awards. Girl Scout Bronze, Silver and Gold Awards are symbols of hard work and making our communities a better place. This year there are slight changes in the process for the Bronze and Silver Awards.
- If completed at the local level as a troop, the Bronze Award may be purchased from the Girl Scout Retail Shops after completion.
- We now require the Girl Scout Bronze Award Questionnaire to be completed and submitted at the time of purchasing the award pins. We have made this change so we will know what awesome projects the girls have accomplished!
- The Girl Scout Silver Award is accomplished similarly to the Bronze with a couple of exceptions. The Girl Scout Silver is more of an individual project. If completed as a group, each girl must have her own individual responsibilities.
- Instead of a final report, we now require each girl to submit the Girl Scout Silver Questionnaire. The award and pin will be sent at no cost to the award recipient.
All forms and paperwork (including instructions on how to navigate the award process) are located on our website under the resources for volunteers section at http://www.girlscoutsmoheartland.org/pages/awards. Please contact Karen Lawrence at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding the Girl Scout Highest Awards.
|DISCOVER, CONNECT, TAKE ACTION
Former Girl Scout Sara (Jones) Burke finds her Girl Scout uniform on display at the Barry County Museum. Sara donated her Girl Scout memorabilia to the Ozark Area Council in Joplin many years ago and while visiting the Cassville and Shell Knob area she visited the museum. To her surprise (and delight) she found some of her donated Girl Scout treasures on display!
| Quick Notes |
|TO DO THIS MONTH
- Attend one of the Fall Product Program Trainings.
VOLUNTEER WEB PORTAL
Do you need something from the Volunteer Resources CD? A product program order form? The tax exempt certificate?
Get what you need from the Volunteer Web Portal. Access it from the council Web site, or the link above, and use the following username & password for the 2011-2012 year:
Service Centers &
Monday - Friday
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Closed (except Springfield)
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Shops in all locations will be open Saturday, September 8 from 9:00am - 1:00pm.
All Retail Shops and Service Centers will be closed Monday, September 3 for Labor Day.
| GSMH Social Media |
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest changes and information, read our blog for news and stories from around the council, and see great Girl Scout-related videos on YouTube.