FOUR WAYS YOU CAN HELP TO SAVE MEDICAID!
The State of Oregon released its analysis of the Better Care Reconciliation Act (BCRA) today - and we are very concerned!
The BCRA is the US Senate bill to repeal the Affordable Care Act. It will have devastating impacts on Oregonians with intellectual and developmental disabilities. The Medicaid cuts will shift $6.2 billion in health and long term services (like DD services) to Oregon taxpayers and the state budget. "Cost shift" means the federal government would not be paying these costs, so Oregon would have to cover those costs - or cut services.
The intellectual and developmental disability community cares about Medicaid because the K Plan, other DD services, and the Oregon Health Plan are all Medicaid services. $6.2 billion dollars is a huge amount. With the Medicaid cuts in the BCRA, Oregon will be forced to do the following to the DD services you depend on each day to live and work in your communities:
- Cut services. Less services means less options for people to get support in their communities. They may end up living in unsafe places, homeless, unemployed, and segregated from their community.
- Change eligibility so fewer people can qualify for DD services. People cut off of DD services will face homelessness, unemployment, and segregation.
- Create wait lists for services. Oregon has been down this road before and people waited decades to get basic services.
- Cut provider rates making it harder for providers to stay in business. Without providers to support people, Oregonians with DD cannot access supports they need at home, at work or in their community.
The report was prepared by the Oregon Department of Consumer and Business Services and the Oregon Health Authority and is available
FOUR WAYS YOU CAN HELP US TRY TO SAVE MEDICAID:
Attend a TOWN HALL with Sen. Wyden this week!
- "No cuts or caps to Medicaid."
- "Because of Medicaid, I have healthcare and supports to live in my community. For example, I use my services to _____________."
- "If I don't have these supports, my life will be harder because _____________."
July 1, 2017, 11:00 AM
The Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde Tribal Gym
9615 Grand Ronde Road, Grand Ronde OR
July 1, 2017, 2:30 PM
Lincoln City Community Center
2150 NE Oar Pl, Lincoln City O
July 2, 2017, 12:00 PM
Reedsport Community Charter School Pacific Auditorium
2260 Longwood Drive, Reedsport OR
July 5, 2017, 2:00 PM
Edward C. Allworth Veterans' Home Town Hall
600 North 5th Street, Lebanon OR
July 6, 2017, 2:00 PM
Conestoga Recreation & Aquatic Center
(Co-hosted by Rep. Suzanne Bonamici)
9985 SW 125th Ave, Beaverton OR
July 7, 2017, 1:00 PM
Redmond Senior Center
325 NW Dogwood Ave, Redmond OR
July 8, 2017, 11:00 AM
Springfield High School Gym
875 7th Street, Springfield OR
July 8, 2017 3:30PM
Newberg High School Auditorium
2400 Douglas Ave, Newberg OR
2. Attend one of Senator Wyden's "It's Not Over" health care rallies next week in Eugene and Portland to maintain the momentum against Trumpcare.
July 5, 2017 11:30 AM
-- "It's Not Over" Healthcare Rally with Senator Wyden & Senator Merkley
Wayne Morse Federal Court House
405 East 8th Ave. Eugene OR
July 6, 2017, 10:30 AM
- "It's Not Over" Healthcare Rally with Senator Wyden, Senator Merkley, and Congresswoman Bonamici
East Side Federal complex
911 NE 11th Ave. Portland OR 97232
(right near the Lloyd center max station)
3. TELL YOUR STORY to our Oregon Senators Merkley and Wyden!
Although they will vote "no" on the BCRA, they need to hear from self-advocates and families about how Medicaid helps people live and work in their community. They need to understand how you use your services so they can effectively advocate for us in Washington DC.
4. Support your friends and family in other states to call their Senators!
Certain Senators need to hear from the disability community about how cuts to Medicaid will hurt them. If you have friends or family in the following states, please reach out to them and ask them to call their Senators today:
Alaska - Colorado - Idaho - Maine - Missouri
Nevada - Ohio - Pennsylvania - West Virginia - Wisconsin
They can say:
"No cuts or caps to Medicaid."
"Because of Medicaid, I have healthcare and supports to live in my community. For example, I use my services to _______________."
"If I don't have these supports, my life will be harder because _____________."
Please encourage your family and friends to call their United Senators via the Congressional Switchboard at 202-224-3121 to reject the current draft of the BCRA.
Reach out to your family and friends across the nation and ask them to support your advocacy efforts to save Medicaid by contacting their United States Senators and urging them to vote NO on the BCRA!