Greetings from the field!
Since the last issue of From the Field, the 91 Project has set an opening date for Monday, March 20. We are excited to be opening the new 91 Express Lanes and general purpose lanes in Riverside County.
Watch for Ongoing Lane Closures for Paving, Restriping
Motorists should watch for nightly lane closures on eastbound and westbound 91 prior to March 20, plus two weekends of concentrated work for paving and restriping. The lane closures are needed for crews to complete this work safely in preparation for the opening of the new lanes.
This weekend, crews will pave a section of westbound 91 near Main Street, requiring multiple lane closures, from Saturday, March 11 at 10 pm to Sunday, March 12 at 9 am. All motorists on westbound 91 will take the Main Street off-ramp and continue straight onto westbound 91. The southbound 15 to westbound 91 connector also will be closed. As a detour, motorists can continue south on the 15, exit Magnolia Avenue, re-enter northbound 15 and take the westbound 91 connector.
During the week ahead until March 20,
there will be multiple lane closures and intermittent ramp closures nightly in both directions between the Riverside/Orange County line and Interstate 15. The most significant work will take place between Thursday, March 16 and Sunday, March 19.
While the 91 will not be closed fully during this time, motorists should expect delays of at least one hour when driving east on the 91 through the project limits on March 19. Motorists are encouraged to avoid the area by using State Route 57 and State Route 60 as alternate routes or to travel via Metrolink. Allow extra travel time and check real-time traffic information using IE511.org.
Also, until the lanes officially open on March 20, do not attempt to drive in the new lanes. This is extremely dangerous for our workers and illegal. We know that drivers are eager to use the new lanes, but please bear with us and do not compromise the safety of our crews.
Please note that while the new lanes will be open March 20, work will continue into the fall to finalize lane configurations, landscaping and other details. Nighttime closures will be needed for our team to finish this work; thank you in advance for your patience.
Upcoming milestones will include:
1. Opening the new eastbound Serfas Club on-ramp
2. Opening the new westbound Maple Street off-ramp
3. Reopening the Maple Street Bridge for two-way travel
4. Restoring full capacity to the Lincoln Avenue Bridge
5. Repaving local streets in Corona, which is requiring daytime and nighttime closures
91 Express Lanes FAQs
If you've driven the 91 lately, you may have seen the messages on our future 91 Express Lanes signs that announce the opening of these lanes this spring. The lanes are scheduled to open March 20, the first day of spring.
We are excited to extend the 91 Express Lanes eight miles into Riverside County from Orange County to give motorists another driving choice. Our new general purpose lanes between the 71 and I-15 will open at the same time.
Here are a few things to know about our new 91 Express Lanes:
- The lanes will offer a safe, reliable and predictable option for drivers.
- Within the 18-mile length of the 91 Express Lanes in Riverside County and Orange County, you will be able to travel both directions for the full length or exit/enter at the County Line.
- There are two options for eastbound travel in the Riverside County express lanes segment:
- County Line to McKinley Street on the 91
- County Line to Ontario Avenue on the I-15, south of the 91
- There is only one entry/exit point at the County Line. There is no direct access to Interstate 15 north of the 91.
- Express Lane users must have a transponder and cannot pay tolls by license plate, online or with cash.
- Carpools of three or more that want to receive the carpool discount must travel in the HOV3+ lane at the Riverside County and Orange County toll points.
- There are several transponder models, and all are accepted by the 91 Express Lanes. If you already have a transponder issued by another California toll operator, you can use that transponder on the 91 Express Lanes.
- Toll rates will be posted on signs at each entry point. Rates are listed on the project website.
- Check out our video to learn to use the new 91 Express Lanes in Riverside County.
- If you are a current 91 Express Lanes account holder, you can refer a friend and earn a $25 credit on your account.
- If you open a new 91 Express Lanes account, you will receive one week of free tolls, or two weeks of free tolls if you are a AAA member.
- For more information, to open an account or obtain a transponder, please call, visit a customer service center or our website.
Need more reasons to get a transponder? The 91 Project team has come up with 91 good reasons, including being able to hit the snooze button a few times before having to get up for work, making it to the gym on time for the CrossFit Workout of the Day, to have more time in the evening to help the kids with homework, and lots more. Click
for a printable copy.