If they're part of your yearly tradition, you may already have some ideas in mind. If not, you probably want to make sure that you set some
, especially with regard to your diet and fitness goals since they're sometimes the hardest to keep.
Make a small change every day
- Creating a long list of New Year's resolutions might seem like a good idea, but taking on too much at once can overwhelm you and discourage you if you can't focus your motivation.
Do efficient workouts
- Who has time to work out for two hours a day? Working out for hours and hours each day is not only time-consuming, but also boring, which can zap your motivation and ultimately prevent you from achieving your goals. Instead of a long sweat session, do shorter, high-intensity, interval workouts.
Eat nutritiously 80% of the time
- It is recommended to make 80% of the calories you consume healthy and nutritious and saving the remaining 20% for not-so-healthy-foods. This strategy makes changing your eating habits a lot more manageable because if you cut out all of your favorite foods, you'll feel deprived and end up binging on them later.
Schedule your workouts each week
- Think you don't have time to exercise? Try this tactic: Look at your weekly calendar and find blocks of free time (even as little as 15 minutes) to schedule some workouts for the upcoming week. If you spend a little time scheduling your workouts for the week, just like you would do with your other obligations, they'll become appointments that you can't miss.
Don't get caught up in what the scale says
- The scale is a good measure of overall weight loss, but
it doesn't tell you the whole story
, especially when it comes to daily weigh-in. Obsessing over the scale every morning is not a healthy habit or an accurate gauge of your progress. Water retention and hormones can add a few pounds to the reading, and if your weight-loss plan includes strength training, you may even gain weight from increased muscle mass while still losing fat.