Ruthanne Bexton was recognized at the June 14 Board Meeting on her retirement this year. Ms. Bexton began her career in education here at NUSD in 1986.
At the June 21 Board meeting, the Novato High Girls Lacrosse Team
was recognized for their second MCAL championship, their
second NCS D1 Championship, and the first ever undefeated
season, 24-0, for a Marin County high school boys or girls lacrosse team.
- Trustees Unanimously Approve Placing Bond Measure on November Ballot: Trustees voted unanimously on June 21, 2016 to place a $222 million facilities measure on the November 8, 2016, ballot as NUSD is committed to continuing a strong, high-quality educational program for the students in all of its public schools. Trustees reviewed the Resolution at the June 14 meeting and approved it at the June 21 meeting. For more information, please go to the June 21, 2016, meeting Discussion/Action 13.a.
- Approve Contract between the YMCA and NUSD to Implement and Operate Preschool Classes: The Board of Trustees approved the contract with the YMCA to implement and operate preschool classes at Hamilton, Lu Sutton, Loma Verde and Olive Elementary Schools. Recently Preschool Expansion Grants were available from the California Department of Education and NUSD was awarded a $711,523 grant in partnership with the YMCA. Preschool classes will begin on September 6, 2016 at Loma Verde and Hamilton Schools and January 9, 2017 at Lu Sutton and Olive Schools. For more information, please go to the June 21, 2016, meeting Discussion/Action 13.b.
- 2016-17 Local Control and Accountability Plan and Budget Approved: The Board of Trustees approved the 2016-17 Local Control and Accountability Plan presented by Julia Kempkey, Director of Secondary Curriculum & Instruction, and the 2016-17 Proposed General Fund Budget by Karen Maloney, Assistant Superintendent of Business & Operations. For more information, please go to the June 21, 2016, meeting Discussion/Action 13.c. and 13.d.
- Report on Progress towards District Priorities and Goals: Superintendent Jim Hogeboom presented the Board with an update on the progress made toward the 12 goals outlined at the beginning of the 2015-16 school year under the four district priorities: Equity, Student Success, Staff Success and Community Involvement & Engagement. Of the 12 goals, 4 were achieved, 1 mostly achieved, 3 partially achieved, 2 not achieved and 2 are uncertain due to lack of data. To review the "End of Year Progress on Priorities and Goals," please go to the June 14, 2016, meeting Discussion/Action 14.a.
- Proposed NUSD Goals for 2016-17: Superintendent Jim Hogeboom presented the Board with a draft of the NUSD goals for the 2016-17 school year. The 2016-17 goals continue to focus on the four district priorities: Equity, Student Success, Staff Success and Community Involvement & Engagement. Individual school goals will be developed to support these district goals. To review the draft goals, please go to the June 14, 2016, meeting Discussion/Action 14.b.
- Board Ratified Tentative Agreement with Novato Federation of Teachers (NFT) to Settle Negotiations for 2016-17: The Board of Trustees voted unanimously to ratify the tentative agreement with NFT. The agreement includes a one-time off-the-salary-schedule payment of $1,500 for full time unit members or $750 for those working less than full time, and a 5% salary increase to the salary schedules effective July 1, 2016. The District began negotiating with CSEA (Classified School Employees Association) on June 27, 2016. For more information, please go to June 14, 2016, meeting Discussion/Action 14.d.
Future Board Meetings:
Regular Board Meeting, 7 pm Open Session
Regular Board Meeting, 7 pm Open Session
Are you interested in receiving advance notice of the Board agenda and its reports? If so, please email Gladys Batz, Executive Assistant to the Superintendent, at email@example.com and say you want to be added to the email list. Ms. Batz sends out the link to the agenda and board reports for the upcoming Board meeting the Friday before a regular Board meeting. The agenda and associated board reports can also be found on AgendaOnline.