Tons of Thanks
Thank you to all who came out to the performing arts information meeting. It was a great success! We look forward to keeping you up-to-date on all things "Ballard Performing Arts". Keep an eye out, for ways you can get involved. No amount of involvement is too small. We can't do this without you. If you couldn't make the meeting, the overview can be found
A shout out to those who have
already helped this year, with uniforms, paperwork, donations, chaperoning and encouraging your student(s).
Camp and Announcements
Congratulations to Mr. James and the BHS Marching Band for another great
band camp! The band has nearly 180 members and is the largest marching band in the city. We look forward to seeing them at the football games soon.
Don't forget to mark your calendars to watch them in the Homecoming halftime show on Saturday, October 21st, 5:00pm Memorial Stadium!
- HUSKY BAND DAY is September 16th! Band members and chaperones should arrive at BHS at 11:00 am for the 6:30 pm start time. Expect to return at 9:00 p.m. to BHS. Chaperones are still needed and receive free admittance to the game, please contact Band Rep Jen Witeck. If anyone would like to attend the game as a spectator, the tickets can be purchased HERE.
- Food for the day must adhere to Uniform Policy rules. No food/drink which will stain the uniform such as: mustard, relish, cheese, soda, hot chocolate, etc. We strongly encourage beverages and food be in plastic containers as no glass is allowed inside Husky Stadium.
- Marching band students need to purchase an ASB card in the main office or purchase online at SchoolPay on the Source
- Check out the Marching Band FAQ page for useful information and helpful tips for getting through the season.
- Band's first BHS football game will be 9/30. We need chaperones! Please contact Jen Witeck if you are interested in joining the band under the "Saturday Night Lights."
URGENT - WIND ENSEMBLE WHISTLER DEPOSITS ARE PAST DUE!!
If you are in the Wind Ensemble, pay online or send in a check for $150 payable to Ballard Performing Arts or request a transfer from your student fundraising account by Monday, September 18th.
Without every student's/chaperon's deposits, due next week, we forfeit our lodging and group dining requests.
The second Whistler payment of $200 is due
Thursday, November 16
. The third and final payment is TBD and due
Thursday, January 18
Camp, Invitational, NYC prep, & Fiddle Ensemble
- Camp:September 29th-October 1st. Orchestra camp is quickly approaching - thank you to those who have volunteered to chaperone! Paperwork and fees for students are past due, please submit ASAP. Busses will depart from school at 4:15 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 29th, and return to school by about 2:00 p.m on Sunday, Oct. 1st. Paperwork can be found HERE.
- Chamber Orchestra will perform for the PLU Orchestra Invitational on Friday, Oct. 13th. We need 6 parent drivers. Please consider driving students and attending the day of performances. Contact Sylvia Schweinberger to get set up as a chaperone.
- Chamber Orchestra is bound for Lincoln Center in 2018! Parents, if you would like to chaperone, or plan a trip around the National Orchestra Cup in NYC, please get in touch with Ms. Newell or Sylvia Schweinberger ASAP. The second payment for students, and first payment for chaperones is due Nov. 15th. Please see attached sheet for a tentative itinerary and a payment schedule for the trip.
- Fiddle Ensemble is kicking off another year starting on Monday, Sept. 18th, and will rehearse from 6:00-7:30 each Monday evening. Please see Ms. Newell for more information about this ensemble.
October 12, 13,14,19 & 20
Curtain at 7:30pm
General:$15 Students/seniors: $10
Mary Zimmerman's play
is based on Ovid's fifteen-volume work of transformation myths. Positioned in and around a large pool on the stage, the characters enact the adaptations of Ovid's tales, juxtaposing the ancient and the contemporary in both language and image. The tone of the drama echoes the themes of change and contrast, from the humor of Phaeton's therapy session to the tragedy of Midas and his daughter.
Ballard High School is fortunate to have Cal Arts graduate (and former Riley student) Chelsea Duvall as a guest director for this evening of theatre.
Annual fees due Sept 15th
To cover some of the costs for transportation, music, and t-shirts, Ballard Performing Arts collects a one-time fee at the beginning of the year, instead of collecting fees for activities one at a time.
Please send in the packet and payment, or the scholarship packet by Sept. 15th. It's our goal for every student, regardless of finances, to participate in the arts.
You should have received a packet with the information in the mail during the summer.
If you didn't receive a packet, or would like to refer to it online during the year,
it is posted on the website,
Notifications regarding scholarship decisions will be sent out to families in mid-October. All scholarship applicants should go to camp.
Ballard reminder App
Sign Up for Class Reminders Using
App. Many of you have already done this for your student's sport and/or class.
Ballard Performing Arts classes can receive notifications on their phones if they sign up for the free Remind app, available in Apple's App Store, or on Google Play.
Join your classes on the app with these codes:
bpa-band, bpa-choir, bpa-theatre, bpa-orches, bpa-advcho, bpa-con-ch, bpa-treble, bpa-march, bpa-jazz2
You can also sign up for text updates. Text 81010 with your group's code to get updates via text message.
Here are the codes for texts: @bpa-band, @bpa-choir, @bpa-theatre, @bpa-orches, @bpa-advcho, @bpa-con-ch, @bpa-treble, @bpa-march, @bpa-jazz2
Having trouble with 81010? Try texting the words "join bpa-(your group code)" to
Spotlight Dinner & Auction
November 18th, 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Swedish Club at 1920 Dexter Ave N
This is the biggest fundraiser of the year for the Ballard High School Performing Arts Boosters Club - and one of the most fun! Entertainment is provided by the BPA student small ensembles. Enjoy drinks, dinner, silent and live auctions and time to mingle with other true fanatics of the incredible Ballard Performing Arts programs.
What we need help with right now: Procurement!
Complete volunteer sign up can be found
9/16 SAT Husky Band Day 11AM - 9:00PM Husky Stadium
9/29 10/1 FRI-SUN
Orchestra Camp 4pm
Fri - 3PM Sun Camp Burton
9/30 SAT Varsity Football Game 5:00 PM Memorial Stadium Marching Band
10/10 TUES Ballard Performing Arts Booster Meeting 6:00 BHS Library
10/12-10/14 FRI-SUN Fall Play:
7:30 pm - 10:00 pm Performing Arts Center
10/13 FRI PLU Orchestra Invitational All Day - TimeTBA PLU
10/13 FRI Varsity Football Game 7:45 PM Memorial Stadium Marching Band
10/18 WED Marching Band Homecoming Practice 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
10/20 FRI Marching Band Homecoming Practice In School Field Trip
10/21 SAT Homecoming Performance at Football Game 5:00 PM Memorial Stadium
10/19-10/20 FRI-SUN Fall Play:
7:30pm-10:00 pm Performing Arts Center
10/25 WED Fall Choir Concert 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm PAC All Choirs
10/28 SAT Edmonds Jazz Band Symposium All Day - Time TBA Montlake Terrace High School
BPA 2017-18 school year calendar
dates subject to change