Have You Contributed to NYSIBPAC This Year?
If not...now is the time! We need your help in this statewide election year to support candidates and committees who understand community banks' needs.
Can we count on you?
form. Help support IBANYS' political action efforts in New York State.
For more information, visit:
IT ALL STARTS THIS MONDAY:
IBANYS' 2017 Annual Convention!
In just five days, New York community bankers, IBANYS preferred providers, associate members and guests gather in Niagara Falls at IBANYS'
2017 Annual Convention September 25-27
. Join us for top-notch
business programs, recreational activities, old and new favorite segments and networking opportunities and camraderie.
- Speakers and roundtables on important issues and topics of the day... with opportunities for question and answer, dialogue and interaction.
- Exhibitors conference showcases numerous products and services to help New York community banks.
- Back by popular demand: Our silent auction to support our political action efforts. NOTE: We need your donated items for the auction. Click here for details, or contact Linda Gregware for details.
- breakfast programs, receptions and dinner programs, and our six-minute presentations by preferred providers and associate members.
- new traditions include our "Innovation Showcase" highlighting new products and services to help community banks survive and thrive in today's marketplace. . .Plus, our "Emerging Leaders" for the industry's next generation of leaders, and a culinary school experience for spouses & guests sponsored by The Bonadio Group.
Have You Sent Your Items For Our
Silent PAC Auction?
Help your New York community banking industry stay competitive in the state political process. Proceeds from our silent auction are used to support NYSIBPAC, IBANYS' state political action committee. NYSIBPAC contributes to New York State candidates and office holders who understand and support the vital role we play in our local and state economies, and the fabric of our communities. (This is especially critical with a statewide election year ahead of us in 2018.)
- Donate A Gift! Showcase items from your region, or unique items others will enjoy. The gift donation is not tax deductible. Nationally chartered banks must donate through a holding company, an individual officer, or director. State chartered banks may donate directly, or through the holding company. IBANYS recommends a minimum value of $100 for each donation. If you have not yet shipped your items to IBANYS, plan to bring them to the convention with you.
If you donate oversized, perishable or fragile items, consider providing pictures and/or marketing materials to advertise the item(s) during the auction, then ship the items themselves to the winning bidder once the convention is over.
A Letter From IBANYS President
As I noted last week, our Innovation Showcase will launch our Convention Monday afternoon, September 25
at 3:30 p.m. It
will feature four 30-minute presentations from dynamic companies in the Fintech space who have developed their products for the community bank space.
Last week, I profiled two presenting firms (CapitalBase and First Global Data), and this
week, I'm pleased to highlight the other two.
- The Alacer Group's experienced risk and compliance specialists design, develop, and implement effective process and system solutions for financial institutions. They help clients strengthen AML and compliance controls while improving efficiency through the application of the right mix of people, process, and technology. Alacer's Velocity Financial Crimes product suite helps financial institutions meet BSA/AML and FATCA compliance requirements with great success.
- BankSight, Inc. is a leading provider of secure, cloud-based customer engagement solutions purpose-built for the banking industry. Its Single View of the Customer Best Practice brings together customer information into a single view to generate meaningful sales insights and identify next best conversations with timely events and offers. They utilize machine learning and their banking domain expertise to enable regional and community banks to deepen customer relationships and grow revenues. BankSight is venture-backed by leading fintech investors, and is headquartered in San Francisco.
- One more thing: We will also highlight and demonstrate our newly updated IBANYS website (www.ibanys.net) during the convention. . .we think you'll find it a big improvement!
I hope you'll join us Monday afternoon for this special convention kickoff, and take the opportunity to ask any and all questions you may have for our presenters from Alacer Group, BankSight, CapitalBase and First Global Data.
. . .To Our Sponsors
IBANYS sends a special "thank you" to our convention sponsors for their support of IBANYS, our convention and our industry:
- Accume Partners
- Atlantic Community Bankers Bank
- BankSight, Inc.
- CEIS Review
- The Bonadio Group
- Federal Home Loan Bank of New York
- First Empire Securities
- Roosevelt & Cross
- Sandler O'Neill
- Smith & Wilkinson
- Strategic Resource Management (SRM)
- T.Gschwender & Associates
- The Conference & Event Center Niagara Falls
- Vitex, Inc.
- Wolf & Company, PC
. . .And, To Our Exhibitors
Special thanks to our exhibitor registrants for the business trade show. Be sure to visit them in the exhibition hall--see their booth numbers below. Visit our website at www.ibanys.net -- go to the Annual Convention tab under the education tab and click on "2017 Trade Show Floor Plan" to view booth availability.
- Accume Partners (100)
- Bank Financial Services Group (302)
- BSG Financial Group (200)
- The Bonadio Group (512)
- Bowers & Company CPA (508)
- COCC (506)
- Cummins Allison (305)
- Federal Home Loan Bank of New York (400)
- First Data Corp. (403)
- First Empire Securities (105)
- Freed Maxick, CPAs (504)
- Genesis PPG (104)
- ICBA Securities (402)
- Jack Henry Banking (304)
- Kasasa (405)
- Legal Shield/ID Shield (203)
- M&T Bank (510)
- Main Street, Inc. (404)
- New York Bankers Association (201)
- New York LTC Brokers AIB (502)
- Promontory Interfinancial Network (301)
- Pentegra Retirement Services (401)
- Red Hawk Fire & Security (303)
- SHAZAM (102)
- Strategic Resource Management (101)
- Travelers (205)
- Vitex (204)
- Wolf & Company, P.C. (300)
During the Silent Auction & Reception in the Trade Show:
- Buffalo Bills alumni players will be on hand to sign picture post cards and to discuss the "Cure the Blue" prostate cancer program from 5:30 - 7:30 PM. There will also be Buffalo Bills memorabilia available to bid on during the auction.
- During that same time, representatives from Lockhouse Distillery will be on hand to provide a "vodka taste testing" to attendees.
* * * * *
Excelsior Growth Fund Live Webinar
"Top Strategies for Securing a
Small Business Loan"
Do you have customers who have perhaps not qualified for traditional small business loans, and are feeling overwhelmed by the idea of obtaining financing to start up a business? Do they need funding to grow their business? Finding the right lender for business needs can be daunting. You can help set these customers on the right course, by informing them of this webinar hosted by The Excelsior Growth Fund and supported by New York Small Business Development Center. It will take place September 28 at 1:00 PM EST and will examine "Top Strategies for Securing a Small Business Loan." Participants will learn what they need to know about finding and qualifying for small business loans -- even if they've been turned down before.
The webinar will discuss:
- Action steps to get a business 'loan-ready'
- Where to turn after not qualifying for bank loans
- How to avoid predatory lenders
- What lenders look for in a loan application
IBANYS Regional Security Conferences:
October 24-25 In Rochester & Albany
Regional Security Conferences Tuesday,
October 24 (Marriott Rochester Airport) and Wednesday, October 25 (Albany Marriott). These programs are especially designed for security officers, operations and senior management personnel of New York community banks. As is the case with all of IBANYS meetings and conferences, they provide outstanding networking opportunities and educational programming. The Security Conferences will focus discussions and presentations on key issues and challenges impacting New York community banks. Watch for additional details coming soon.
Buffalo News Profiles & Interviews IBANYS' President John Witkowski
The "Buffalo News" published a
profile & interview
with IBANYS President & CEO John Witkowski. It highlighted his career as a community bank executive, banking trade association president -- and, his earlier days as a top-notch Ivy League quarterback at Columbia University who later played professionally in the NFL. In the interview, John noted: "
Community banks are doing very well. I think they're doing well because they know their communities, they know their comfort zone. Is it becoming more difficult? Yes, it is, because of all the other ancillary things that are going on. The competition with credit unions. The regulatory compliance [rules] that keep coming down that keep costing money. It's taking away from them going out to expand the business. . .
I try to think of ways that community banks can continue to work today in ways that will help them be more efficient and bring value to looking at partnerships..."
September Is National Prostate Cancer Month:
Support Cure the Blue!
Of all new cancer cases in the nation, prostate cancer represents 9.6%. In 2017, estimates are there will be 161,360 new cases, and that more than 26,000 people will die of the disease.
Support IBANYS' "Cure the Blue" campaign to help New Yorkers participate in this effort to promote prostate cancer awareness and research.
IBANYS partners with the Buffalo Bills Alumni Foundation, which sponsors the program, and urges our member banks to participate. Lake Shore Savings Bank President & CEO Dan Reininga announced that this month, Lake Shore is providing
prostate cancer literature and Cure the Blue information at its headquarters in Dunkirk and all eleven of its branches. The bank is also offering "Cure the Blue" ceramic lapel ribbon pins to all customers for a $5.00 donation to Cure the Blue. "We fully understand the severity of this disease and the devastating effect it can have on families. Our support of 'Cure the Blue' initiative is something that we are taking very seriously. We're proud to support it."
"Cure the Blue" continue to grow throughout upstate New York. Walmart stores and the Labatt brewery are on board with a major push in the Watertown and Buffalo areas! IBANYS urges all of our member banks, associate members and allies to join the effort. Please visit
NOTE: Buffalo Bills alumni players will be on hand at IBANYS' Annual Convention Silent Auction Tuesday, September 26 (5:30-7:30 PM) to discuss "Cure the Blue"
and sign picture post cards.
DFS Issues Guidance On
Equifax Data Breach
- Ensure that all information technology and information security patches have been installed;
Ensure that appropriate ID theft and fraud prevention programs are in place and followed
Confirm the validity of information contained in Equifax credit reports (if you receive them)
before relying on them
If appropriate, consider a customer call center for customers to call in and inform your institution
if their information has been hacked;
If your institution provides consumer or commercial related account and debt information to
Equifax pursuant to any arrangement with Equifax, ensure that the terms of the arrangement
receive a very high level of review and attention to determine any potential risk,
taking into consideration the
Department's cybersecurity regulation (23 NYCRR Part 500) with respect to third party service
Weinstein New Chair Of Assembly
Ways & Means Committee
Assemblywoman Helene Weinstein ( D-Brooklyn) has been named Chair of the powerful NYS Assembly Ways & Means Committee, which deals with budgetary and tax legislation. She becomes the first woman to chair the committee and succeeds the committee's longtime Chair Denny Farrell, who has retired from the Legislature. Assemblywoman Weinstein has been a member of Ways & Means since 1993, and has been chairing the Assembly Judiciary Committee. She was first elected to the Assdembly in 1980, succeeding her father Murray Weinstein, who in the same seat served for two years.
WASHINGTON, D.C. UPDATE
ICBA To OCC: Exempt Community Banks from Volcker Rule Restrictions
ICBA urged regulators to exempt banking organizations with less than $50 billion in total assets from Volcker Rule restrictions on proprietary trading. ICBA told the OCC while community banks generally support barring the use of any sort of government subsidy for speculative trading, the rule has created problems since it was issued, citing
the battle over collateralized debt obligations backed by trust-preferred securities or TruPS CDOs instruments originally in violation of the Volcker Rule, but it was subsequently clarified that most are not covered by the rule. ICBA's letter is consistent with its "Plan for Prosperity" platform that advocates a complete community bank exemption.
, ICBA has also
called on the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to use its authority to exempt community banks from new data-collection and -reporting requirements on small business lending.
ICBA Tips On Equifax Data Breach
ICBA released tips for community bankers following the Equifax data breach involving 143 million Americans. The tips cover potential risks from the breach, including fraudulent account openings, account takeover and online fraud, wire transfer fraud, phishing, and more. ICBA previously released a customizable letter community banks can use to inform their customers about the Equifax data breach. It discusses the extent of the breach, where consumers can go for additional resources and how they can protect their identity. For details, please visit
released a statement urging bipartisan support for allowing Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to rebuild capital.
to read the full statement.
IBANYS identifies offers products and services that provide value to your banks, companies, employees communities. These brief summaries provide links for information. Please contact IBANYS President John Witkowski with questions.
Health & Wellness:
The health and wellness landscape continues to evolve. "My Wellness Resource" can be a nice addition to your existing benefit package. Contact Alan Justin: (716) 907-5500 or visit:
Secure, Enhanced Internet Presence
Excelsior Growth Fund (EGF) is NYBDC's nonprofit Community Development Financial Institution and IBANYS' exclusive online lending
Battle Against Prostate Cancer
Cure the Blue"
raises funds and awareness regarding prostate cancer in New York State. Visit
www.curetheblue.com to get involved!
. . . The Federal Home Loan Bank of New York
The Federal Home Loan Bank of New York (FHLBNY) helps community lenders in New York, New Jersey, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands advance housing and community growth. It is part of the congressionally chartered, nationwide Federal Home Loan Bank System created in 1932 to provide a flexible credit liquidity source for member community lenders engaged in home mortgage and neighborhood lending.
Its mission is to advance housing opportunity and local community development by supporting members in serving their markets. It meets that mission by providing members with access to economical wholesale credit and assistance through its credit products, mortgage finance program, housing and community lending programs, and correspondent services to increase the availability of home finance to families of all incomes.
For details, contact Adam Goldstein, Senior Vice President & Chief Business Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org.
. . .That when Mike Briggs (USNY Bank) takes the reins as Chairman of the Independent Bankers Association of New York State later this fall, he will become the 42nd person to serve as IBANYS Chairman? The Association began in 1974, with its first Chairman Robert Fearon, Jr., who served two two-year terms (1974-75 and 1975-76). Do you know the other Chairman who served two terms?
New York community banks play a key role in our state and local economies. Help spread the good news among your customers, business and elected leaders and media!
Click here for quotes from Governor Cuomo and former DFS Superintendent Lawsky extolling the performance and value of New York community banks.
Click here for the full NYS Study on community banking.
Click here to read IBANYS President & CEO John Witkowski's comments on the new tax changes and benefits for New York community banks as approved in the 2014-15 State Budget.
Click here for IBANYS' letter to the Editor of Consumer Reports Magazine correcting failure to mention community banks as an alternative to using "big banks."
John J. Witkowski
President and Chief Executive Officer
Stephen W. Rice
Director of Government Relations and Communications
Director of Administration and Membership Services
William Y. Crowell, III