Have You Contributed to NYSIBPAC This Year?
If not...now is the time! We need your help in this statewide election year to support candidates and committees who understand community banks' needs.
Can we count on you?
form. Help support IBANYS' political action efforts in New York State.
For more information, visit:
IBANYS' Annual Convention Is
Two-And-A-Half Weeks Away. . .
Have You Signed Up?
New York community bankers, IBANYS preferred providers & associate members and guests will gather together in Niagara Falls, New York in
just over two weeks
IBANYS' 2017 Annual Convention September 25-27
. It promises to be our best ever! Join us
of business programs, recreational activities, networking opportunities and camraderie.
PLEASE NOTE THESE IMPORTANT DEADLINES: The
Hotel room block cutoff deadline
has been extended until THIS
FRIDAY, September 8
deadline for IBANYS to receive
Silent Auction items
- Speakers and roundtables will focus on important issues and topics of the day... with opportunities for question and answer, dialogue and interaction.
- Our exhibitors conference will feature products and services to help New York community banks navigate today's business landscape and enhance their operations.
- Many of our traditional segments are back by popular demand, including our silent auction to support our political action efforts. NOTE: We need your donated items for the auction. Click here for details, or contact Linda Gregware for details.
- You'll enjoy our breakfast programs, receptions and dinner programs, and our six-minute presentations by preferred providers and associate members on important products and services for community banks.
- We'll also introduce new traditions: our "Innovation Showcase" highlighting new products and services to help community banks survive and thrive in today's marketplace; our "Emerging Leaders" welcoming the New York community banking industry's next generation of leaders, and a culinary school experience for spouses & guests sponsored by our good friends at The Bonadio Group.
Convention meeting rooms are in the Niagara Falls Convention Center, across the street from our sleeping room accommodations at
Sheraton at the Falls Hotel.
SO? HAVE YOU REGISTERED YET?
You'll find it a memorable conference in every way.
We hope to welcome you to Niagara Falls September 25
Can we count on you to join us? CLICK HERE
to register/for details
on how to participate,
to sponsor an event and/or exhibit in our
convention business show!
We Need Your Items For Silent PAC Auction
Deadline Is Friday, September 15!
Here is your an opportunity to help our New York community banking industry stay competitive in the state political process. Proceeds from our silent auction are used to support NYSIBPAC, IBANYS' state political action committee. NYSIBPAC contributes to New York State candidates and office holders who understand and support the vital role we play in our local and state economies, and the fabric of our communities. This is especially critical with a statewide election year ahead of us in 2018.
- Donate A Gift! Showcase items from your region, or unique items others will enjoy. The gift donation is not tax deductible. Nationally chartered banks must donate through a holding company, an individual officer, or director. State chartered banks may donate directly, or through the holding company. IBANYS recommends a minimum value of $100 for each donation. All items shipped to IBANYS must be received by Friday, September 15.
If you donate oversized, perishable or fragile items, consider providing pictures and/or marketing materials to advertise the item(s) during the auction, then ship the items themselves to the winning bidder once the convention is over.
- Click here for a list of suggested items to donated -- and, to fill out and return to IBANYS the Auction Donor Information form found on page 11 of the convention registration packet.
A Letter From President Witkowski:
Don't Miss Our New "Innovation Showcase"
To Kickoff Our Annual Convention
We are excited our Innovation Showcase will kickoff IBANYS' 2017 Convention ("The Power of Community Banking") Monday afternoon, September 25
at 3:30 p.m.
As we know, banking technology continues to progress. The Innovation Showcase will feature 30-minute presentations from four dynamic companies in the Fintech space that have products and services to complement community banks. These companies have developed their products for the community bank space, and I would like to share some of these companies and their programs with our bankers.
The firms include
a company that brings Business Intelligence (and AI) into the ERM; a group that aggregates data from all data points on your operating systems; a firm that will explain how a CRM can increase revenue, and one that will offer a look at an advanced mobile wallet product in use today. We'll have more information on each of these presenting firms very soon.
This is a great opportunity to learn about products that have been or will be introduced to our industry.
I hope you'll join us for this special convention kickoff, and take the opportunity to ask any and all questions you may have for our presenters.
forward to seeing everyone in Niagara Falls.
. . .To Our Sponsors
IBANYS sends a special "thank you" to our early convention sponsors for their support of IBANYS, our convention and our industry --
during the convention and throughout the year:
- Accume Partners
- Atlantic Community Bankers Bank
- BankSight, Inc.
- CEIS Review
- The Bonadio Group
- Federal Home Loan Bank of New York
- First Empire Securities
- Roosevelt & Cross
- Sandler O'Neill
- Smith & Wilkinson
- Strategic Resource Management (SRM)
- Vitex, Inc.
- Wolf & Company, PC
. . .And, To Our Exhibitors
Special thanks to our "early bird" exhibitor registrants for the business trade show. Be sure to visit them in the exhibition hall--see their booth numbers below. Visit our website at www.ibanys.net -- go to the Annual Convention tab under the education tab and click on "2017 Trade Show Floor Plan" to view booth availability.
- Accume Partners (407)
- BFS (302)
- BSG Financial Group (200)
- The Bonadio Group (516)
- Bowers & Company CPA (512)
- Federal Home Loan Bank of New York (400)
- First Data Corp. (403)
- First Empire Securities (307)
- ICBA Securities (402)
- Jack Henry Banking (304)
- Kasasa (405)
- M&T Bank (514)
- Main Street, Inc. (404)
- New York Bankers Association (201)
- Promontory Interfinancial Network (301)
- Pentegra Retirement Services (401)
- SHAZAM (306)
- Strategic Resource Management (101)
- Vitex (406)
- Wolf & Company, P.C. (300)
Sponsorships and booth space are still available. Please contact Linda Gregware (email@example.com) . . .or, click here.
* * * * *
* * * * *
ICBA Securities/ Vining Sparks Webinar:
"Municipal Market Update: Strategies & Credit"
The municipal bond sector continues to be a significant contributor to the performance of community bank investment portfolios. Significant weightings in tax-free bonds can produce high tax-equivalent yields at a reasonable corresponding price risk. The credit performance of the bank-qualified sector remains sound; however, investors must understand issuer credit dynamics and overall credit themes.
The market for tax-free securities has been dynamic over the last 12 months. The post-election "Trump Bump" and the continuing dialog about tax reform caused prices of municipal bonds to first sell off, and then rally. We will comment on the current impact this policy matter is having on the market. Also, while the bank-qualified sector has seen very few downgrades, there are several local and state issuers experiencing challenges that are reflective of themes occurring in the broader tax-free market.
What You'll Learn:
- The correlation between municipal bond investments and bank performance
- Current credit issues in the municipal market
- The state of the market for tax-free investments
- Overview of tax reform efforts and its potential impact on bank municipal bond holdings
The webinar will last approximately 1 hour.
IBANYS Regional Security Conferences:
October 24-25 In Rochester & Albany
Regional Security Conferences Tuesday,
October 24 (Marriott Rochester Airport) and Wednesday, October 25 (Albany Marriott). These programs are especially designed for security officers, operations and senior management personnel of New York community banks. As is the case with all of IBANYS meetings and conferences, they provide outstanding networking opportunities and educational programming. The Security Conferences will focus discussions and presentations on key issues and challenges impacting New York community banks. Watch for details coming soon.
Why Net Yields Have Disappeared
By Jim Reber, ICBA Securities
Trivia fans, listen up! This column contains facts and figures on yields and returns over the last 20 years that will make you sound positively erudite
as you recite them to your friends and family. Unless it makes you appear boorish. But either way, my hope is that you'll find some useful data herein to improve your community bank's performance.
Lost in the downdraft of yields in virtually everything a community bank would care to own is that fact that the returns are even more hideous when they are paired with inflation over the same period. And yes, we have to go through the "nominal versus real" return gymnastics to analyze this phenomenon, but at least it'll serve as a refresher course. And it could even change your gauges for how you determine what's fairly valued when shopping for investments. First, let's review what "fair value" by historical norms has been. . .
(Note: Jim Reber will speak at IBANYS' Annual Convention September 25-27 in Niagara Falls.)
September Is National Prostate Cancer Month.
Of all new cancer cases in the nation, prostate cancer represents 9.6%. In 2017, estimates are there will be 161,360 new cases, and that more than 26,000 people will die of the disease.
Support IBANYS' "Cure the Blue" campaign to help New Yorkers participate in this effort to promote prostate cancer awareness and research.
IBANYS partners with the Buffalo Bills Alumni Foundation, which sponsors the program, and urges our member banks to participate. Lake Shore Savings Bank President & CEO Dan Reininga announced that this month, Lake Shore is providing
prostate cancer literature and Cure the Blue information at its headquarters in Dunkirk and all eleven of its branches. The bank is also offering "Cure the Blue" ceramic lapel ribbon pins to all customers for a $5.00 donation to Cure the Blue. "We fully understand the severity of this disease and the devastating effect it can have on families. Our support of 'Cure the Blue' initiative is something that we are taking very seriously. We're proud to support it."
"Cure the Blue" continue to grow throughout upstate New York. Walmart stores and the Labatt brewery are on board with a major push in the Watertown and Buffalo areas! IBANYS urges all of our member banks, associate members and allies to join the effort. . .
To donate or for more information please visit
Hurricane Harvey Relief
Community banks across Texas have stepped up to provide vital assistance and aid to their neighbors and customers. Many community banks across the country have asked how they can help.
- ICBA has partnered with MainStreet Bank in Fairfax, Va., to launch the Hurricane Harvey Community Bank Relief Fund donation portal via Aircharity(r) to help interested parties get involved and offer support. Through this portal, we can come together with the common goal of sending financial resources directly to other community banks, their employees and families in affected regions. MainStreet Bank is covering any service charges associated with the donations, allowing 100 percent of donations to go directly to community bankers in need. Banner ads for your website and e-newsletters are available at www.icba.org/SRPArticles<http://www.icba.org/SRPArticles under the Resources folder. The ads have the donation portal link embedded for ease of use. If you have any questions, please e-mail Chris Lorence, Group Executive Vice President, Member Engagement and Strategy: Chris.Lorence@icba.org.
- From the Independent Bankers Association of Texas: Donations may also be made to the Texas Bankers Foundation's Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund by clicking this link:
100% of every dollar collected will go directly to the relief effort. Texas Bankers Foundation is a 501(c)(3). Corporate and personal contributions are tax deductible. Make checks payable to the Texas Bankers Foundation, and denote it is for the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund.
Bankers may contribute to either of these funds, as monies will end up in the same place. 100% of the proceeds to go to banking families in need.
State DFS Cybersecurity Reg
The State Department of Financial Services (DFS) cybersecurity regulation officially took effect that August 28. DFS Superintendent Maria Vullo noted:
"...New York is leading the nation with strong cybersecurity regulation requiring, among other protective measures, set minimum standards of a cybersecurity program based on the risk assessment of the entity, personnel, training and controls in place in order to protect data and information systems." Click Here to read the full text of the DFS news release.
WASHINGTON, D.C. UPDATE
Judge Strikes Down DOL Overtime Rule
A federal judge struck down a U.S. Department of Labor Rule (opposed by ICBA and IBANYS) that extended overtime pay to approximately 4.2 million additional workers. Its December 1 effective date had been delayed ending the legal challenge. The rule would have increased the salary tests used to exempt employees from overtime pay and permanently indexed the threshhold for inflation. ICBA had argued the rule would "excessively burden employers in regions with relatively low cost of living and salary rates.
Debt Limit, Funding The Government, Hurricane Relief On Center Stage
Congress is back in session this week following its annual August recess, and facing a very busy September. President Trump and Congressional leaders agreed today to increase the debt limit and fund the government until December. The president sided with Democratic leaders on a deal that would set up a fiscal showdown for year's end. The House also overwhelmingly approved nearly $8 billion in disaster aid in response to Hurricane Harvey by a vote of 419 to 3. Senate Majority Leader McConnell (R-KY) has voiced support for a speedy vote to approve the disaster aid in the Senate.
In Other Federal News:
- President Trump nominated Robert Jackson, Jr. to serve on the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). He was a senior advisor at Treasury during the 2008 financial crisis.
IBANYS identifies offers products and services that provide value to your banks, companies, employees communities. These brief summaries provide links for information. Please contact IBANYS President John Witkowski with questions.
Health & Wellness:
The health and wellness landscape continues to evolve. "My Wellness Resource" can be a nice addition to your existing benefit package. Contact Alan Justin: (716) 907-5500 or visit:
Secure, Enhanced Internet Presence
Excelsior Growth Fund (EGF) is NYBDC's nonprofit Community Development Financial Institution and IBANYS' exclusive online lending
Battle Against Prostate Cancer
Cure the Blue"
raises funds and awareness regarding prostate cancer in New York State. Visit
www.curetheblue.com to get involved!
. . .Roosevelt & Cross, a municipal bond broker-dealer specializing in tax exempt and taxable municipal bonds. Founded by Archibald Roosevelt (son of President Theodore Roosevelt) and Edwin Cross in 1946, the firm remains true to the founders' focus on municipal bonds, and to upholding their guiding principles of integrity, quality customer service, and consistency. For financial services clients, they provide r
esearch, purchase, sale, underwriting, trading, distribution & marketing of bank qualified tax exempt securities.
For more information, please contact:
. . .
The Niagara Falls was formed by the receding glaciers
at the end of the last ice age? A path was carved through the Niagara Escarpment water by the water from the newly formed Great Lakes. The Falls have taken 12,000 years to erode the seven miles from Queenston Heights, where they began, to their present position. . .but, the Falls separated around Goat Island only 600 years ago.
Join us at IBANYS Annual Convention September 25-27 and learn first hand this wonder of the world.
New York community banks play a key role in our state and local economies. Help spread the good news among your customers, business and elected leaders and media!
Click here for quotes from Governor Cuomo and former DFS Superintendent Lawsky extolling the performance and value of New York community banks.
Click here for the full NYS Study on community banking.
Click here to read IBANYS President & CEO John Witkowski's comments on the new tax changes and benefits for New York community banks as approved in the 2014-15 State Budget.
Click here for IBANYS' letter to the Editor of Consumer Reports Magazine correcting failure to mention community banks as an alternative to using "big banks."
John J. Witkowski
President and Chief Executive Officer
Stephen W. Rice
Director of Government Relations and Communications
Director of Administration and Membership Services
William Y. Crowell, III