Today, the Greater Newton Area Chamber of Commerce has 216 members and continues to grow by benefiting from the collaborative efforts and initiatives of so many of our different community partners.
For example, the City of Newton has initiated housing programs to attract young professionals and new home builders.
City of Newton Home Buyer Initiative: Buy a new home for $160,000.00 or more and at closing the City of Newton will send you a tax-free check for $10,000.00 with no strings attached. Plus, you will receive a "Welcome Package" of goods and services which is valued at $4,000.00.
City of Newton Home Builder Initiative: Build a new home for $160,000.00 or more and your permit fees and inspection fees will be waived. Plus, once the building permit is issued, the City of Newton will cover your construction loan interest for up to a year.
And, here are some things you may not know about Newton:
- Our Newton High School recently received a "bronze" rating as ranked by U.S. News Best High School ratings. http://bit.ly/1FouMHe
- Earlier in the year Newton and our entire Jasper County earned Skilled Iowa designations.
- Now, our community has its sights on becoming a Home Base Iowa community in order to attract veterans to Newton and to Jasper who currently live outside of Iowa.
- Newton is the home of the NASCAR-owned Iowa Speedway which is the fastest short track in the world.
- Newton has many beautiful parks and has over 100 sculptures scattered throughout our community.
- Newton is the home of the Maytag Dairy Farms which produces over one million pounds of Maytag Blue Cheese per year.
- We have one of the last drive-in movie theaters in Iowa.
- Our Maytag Bowl in historic Maytag Park hosts a wide array of musical concerts.
- Our Newton Chamber office and Jasper County Courthouse are located on 1st Avenue which is also Highway 6. Highway 6 is the longest highway in the United States.
Besides being involved in Red Pride Community Service Day, Newton Fest, Rotary, City Council, Main Street, Greater Des Moines Partnership, Newton Development Corporation, Newton Housing Development Corporation, SSMID and Chamber Committee meetings, we also sponsor and support several annual events.
Our Chamber events include: A Golf Outing, Ridiculous Day and "Cool Cars" Car Show as part of Newton Fest, 4th of July Parade and downtown activities, New Teacher and Administrators Welcome Lunch, Holiday Open House, Courthouse Lighting and Lighted Parade, and a Member Thank You and Christmas Social.