Recent research has demonstrated that mental and physical health is fundamentally linked. The World Health Organization (WHO) defines health as “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.” That in fact, “there is no health without mental health.” Poor physical health conditions can lead to an increased risk of poor mental health problems, and vice versa. Statistics show that depression is linked to heart disease, high stress levels and other physical illness. It is important that we first understand the connection between our mind and body so that we can improve our total health and mental wellness.
Tips for a Healthy Wellness:
Daily exercise - this could be as simple as taking a 10 minute walk or kickboxing
Eat a balanced healthy diet - to include water, vegetables, and fruits
Schedule social activities for relaxation or fun, depends what you need
Remember it is all about Self-Care!
Self-Care Ideas for the Mind:
- Start a compliments file. Document the great things people say about you
- Daily affirmations. These are words you choose to empower yourself, eliminate negative thoughts, and attract a desired outcome. Example: “I Am Enough.” For more affirmations, Here are some great ones or make up your own and write on your mirror or make it a wallpaper for your phone. https://tinyurl.com/y7xunow3
- Go cloud-watching. Lie on your back, relax, and watch the sky.
- Goof around for a bit. Schedule in 5 minutes of “play”, several times throughout your day.
- Unplug for an hour. Switch everything to airplane mode and free yourself from the constant bings of social media and email.
Self-Care Ideas for the Body:
- Get down and boogie. Put on your favorite upbeat record and shake your booty.
- Get fifteen minutes of sun, especially if you’re in a cold climate. (Use sunscreen if appropriate.)
- Have a good laugh. Read a couple of comic strips that you enjoy. (For inspiration, try Calvin and Hobbes or Dilbert)
- Inhale an upbeat smell. Try peppermint to suppress food cravings and boost mood and motivation.
If you are experiencing any negative mental health conditions, we encourage you to reach out to us today.