Our first classes start next week (except for "This Explains a Lot", which starts the following week - see below).
A few things to be aware of:
1) There will be no class on Thanksgiving week OR on the week of December 26;
2) Please be prepared to sign up to be a (Kosher) snack volunteer one week - our coffee breaks are almost as much fun as our classes;
3) If you are absent for more than a week, or know of absences in advance, please check in with me or with your instructor - there are no grades, but we worry about you if you aren't in class;
4) You will be provided with a class list with contact info for your classmates. I hope to have this ready for the first session;
5) The room assignments for each class (if applicable) will be posted on the first day.
If you have other questions before class starts, don't hesitate to be in touch.
Gratz will be closed on Thursday, October 20 and Friday, October 21 for Simhat Torah.
Wishing you a Hag Sameah.
Don't forget - sign up now for courses which begin in November, December or January!
Liz Zinbarg Nover (Lnover@gratz.edu)
Director, Camp Gratz and GratzalaCarte
Changes in Course Schedule
The 12-Thursday course with Dr. Reena Sigman Friedman, "This Explains a Lot! Jewish History Since 1654," will begin on THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 3 (not Thursday, October 27 as initially planned).
There is room for more students in this class.
Are Jews a religion or a people/nation? What is the appropriate language of Jewish prayer? What is the role of the rabbi in modern times? How have Jews responded to antisemitism? These are a few of the many questions to be explored in this course. Using a wide variety of primary sources, we will highlight topics such as the evolution of Jewish religious movements in Europe and the U.S., the rise of Zionism and the Jewish labor movement, and the relationship between American Jews and Israel. The issues that emerged in the 17th-20th centuries remain ever vital in our Jewish community of today.
You may register for this course using the Gratz a la Carte Registration Form (click on link in sidebar). Simply write in the name of the course, even though it is not in the brochure.
These Courses Coming Up in November, December and January - Register Now
Klezmer Music: From Roots to Revival
Jesus and the Jews: Family, Friend or Foe?
What Would Moses Do?
Jewish Angels? More than Wrestling Matches, Burning Bushes & Lions Dens
You Oughta Be In Pictures: The American Jewish Experience in Film
Consult our brochure for details. Click on link in sidebar.
Gratz College is a Partner in the "One Book" Program
Join the Jewish community and read The List, by Martin Fletcher, just released. You may order your book (print OR electronic) through Gratz College by contacting the Gratz a la Carte office.