Tips to save water indoors
As the weather changes and outdoor watering needs have declined, it's time to change our focus towards saving water indoors. There are many tasks that can be done to improve water efficiency while saving money at the same time.
- Check for leaky toilets. Pick up a leak detector dye tablet at the Centennial Water customer service desk, pop it in the tank and wait to see if color appears in the toilet bowl. If color appears, you have a leak. Centennial Water customer service is located at 62 Plaza Dr. in Highlands Ranch.
- Cut back on the length of showers. See if you can take a shower in five minutes or less to conserve water. Challenge family members to see who can take the fastest, most efficient shower.
- Wash only full loads. This includes the washing machine and the dishwasher.
- Use your dishwasher over hand washing your dishes. A dishwasher uses about 10 gallons of water per load. The same amount of water is used in a mere four minutes when running your kitchen faucet.
- Turn off the faucet while washing your hands and brushing your teeth.