2014 Junior National Hereford Expo Exhibitor FAQs
PLEASE READ THIS INFORMATION COMPLETELY
As the trailers head east to “A Sweet Family Tradition” this e-mail will come in handy and is intended to answer any questions that should arise. We are busy preparing for 1,531 entries and more than 610 exhibitors and their families from 34 states. Please double check the state list to make sure your cattle are entered correctly. Entry problems should be directed to Amy Cowan, director of youth activities, at email@example.com or Bailey Clanton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The NJHA Website is your source for all the latest news and information about the 2014 JNHE. Please visit the Web site today and check back often for updated information that will go online as we get closer to show time.
Click here for directions to the
Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex
2300 N Cameron St
Harrisburg, PA 17110
ARRIVAL AND TIE OUTS
IMPORTANT: Cattle WILL be allowed in tie outs starting at 6 p.m. on Friday, July 4 and cattle may move into the BARNS first thing Sunday morning, July 6. Exhibitors may set up stalls in the barn on Saturday, July 5 at noon. It is very important that we adhere to the arrival and set up times this year to ensure a smooth transition into our event. Thanks!
Click here for arrival directions onto the
Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex
Best Western Premier Hotel & Conference Center
800 E Park Dr.
Harrisburg, PA 17111
2014 JNHE Schedule of Events
2014 JNHE Rules and Regulations
STALLING POLICY FOR 2014 JNHE:
The stalling maps and charts for the Weis Expo Hall have been posted on Jrhereford.org
You will be stalled by state in the barn and advisors are in charge of stalling assignments within each state. We ask that exhibitors please do not set up stalls prior to your state advisor assigning the stall space. The state advisors will have final say in stalling for each state, so we ask that everyone cooperate with this stalling process in order to get the week off to a good start. Please be considerate of fellow state members when making individual stalls. Stall charts will be posted in the barn, at the show office and at the entry gate. If you have any questions about your stalling please ask your state advisor or the show staff BEFORE you make your bed. The panels in the barn are 10 feet long and there will be ample space for tack, chutes, etc., once the cattle have been stalled.
- IT WILL BE HOT in Harrisburg so please plan accordingly. There will be limited SHADE and power in tie outs, so please plan your arrival on Friday and Saturday and tie out set up accordingly. Bedding in the tie-outs will be the same mulch as the barns. There will be NO TENTS in tie outs after Sunday. All tents will need to be taken down by 10 a.m. Sunday morning and we appreciate your cooperation with this.
- Tie-outs are not pre-assigned and will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. THERE WILL BE NO PENS IN TIE OUTS and no tying to trailers in order to accommodate the record numbers of cattle we will have in Harrisburg.
- The Equine Arena and Weis Expo Hall will be air conditioned.
- IMPORTANT: All cattle will need health papers and they will be checked as you arrive at the complex.
A vet will also be on call throughout the week as needed. Emergency phone numbers will be posted at the show office in the Lower Spine.
- Thanks to our title sponsor, Tuesday, July 8 will be VitaFerm Sure Champ T-Shirt day. All exhibitors will be given a t-shirt at check in and we ask that everyone supports VitaFerm and wears their t-shirt on the 8th.
- ALL junior members will walk in with their state flag during opening ceremonies. We ask that all states start lining up for the parade of states after their group photos on Monday evening. Group photos will start at 4 p.m., opening ceremonies will be at 5 p.m., followed by Levi’s Amish Dutch Dinner featuring beef pot pie in the Banquet Hall.
- If a member of your state is planning to participate in the Hereford Idol competition please sign up in the show office by noon on Sunday, July 6.
- State group pictures will begin at 4 p.m. on Monday, July 7 in The Equine Arena.
- The state delegate orientation, meeting and dinner will be Sunday, July 6 in the Banquet Hall at 7 p.m. ALL state delegates must attend this meeting, as candidates will give a brief introduction followed by round-table questions. A dinner will be provided to all delegates.
- Advisors: You will turn in your state delegates at the advisor meeting Sunday, July 6 at 2 p.m. in the Banquet Hall
- The NJHA membership meeting will be Tuesday, July 8 at 7 p.m.
- If you are interested in golfing in the HYFA Golf Tournament on Tuesday at 8:30 a.m., please e-mail email@example.com.
CATTLE CHECK IN: PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK TATTOOS
- Breeding cattle will be processed in the Equine Arena starting at 9 a.m. on Sunday, July 6. Steers will be processed on Sunday at 3 p.m. in the North Hall. Steers will be ultrasounded and weighed at processing. Cattle will be processed by state, we will begin with NJHA board, national junior candidates and the six host states.
- Breeding Cattle arrival and check in deadline is Sunday, July 6 by 3 p.m.; steer arrival and check-in deadline is Sunday, July 6 by 5 p.m. The check-in procedure will be the same as in the past. Exhibitor packets will be available at people registration in the show office.
- Exhibitors will need to bring their CHECK-IN SHEETS (located in the exhibitor packet) and their original registration papers to the cattle processing area.
- NO EID TAGS ARE REQUIRED THIS YEAR, just a tattoo.
- Check tattoos on all of your entries to make sure they match the registration papers exactly. If they do not match, you will not be able to show – NO SECOND CHANCES. If there is a discrepancy, you need to have your registration papers corrected so that they match the tattoos exactly – this must be handled prior to your arrival at JNHE. Wrong or illegible tattoo – NO SHOW! If you cannot read the tattoo, it is illegible!
CAMPING: For those of you who will be camping at the Farm Show Complex you may arrive with campers on Friday, July 4th. Upon arrival at the Farm Show Complex, security guards will direct you to your camping spot and collect fees from you at that time. Just a reminder there is no water and sewer in the camping area.
OTHER HELPFUL HINTS
- SHOWMANSHIP UPDATE: All showmanship contestants had to be pre-entered by June 1st. Classes have been pre-assigned and the showmanship show order is available at Jrhereford.org. Ring #1 will start with seniors followed by intermediates and then senior finals and Ring #2 will start with juniors, followed by peewees and then pre-peewees.
- NO alcoholic containers will be allowed at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex at any time. Remember this is a junior activity with mostly underage youth in attendance. Please adhere to this policy.
- If you owe money for entries, shirts, meals and activities you must pay before you will be allowed to pick up any tickets, shirts or process cattle!
- In case you need feed or hay, you may place orders in the show office located in the lower spine.
- NO PORTA COOLS ARE ALLOWED IN BARNS AT ANYTIME!
- Breeding cattle will not be released until the championship drive is completed on Saturday, July 12th. Steers will be allowed to leave after the show on Thursday but must be out of the barn before the show starts Friday morning.
- The State Advisor’s meeting is at 2 p.m. on Sunday, July 6th in the Banquet Hall; state advisors will be given a booklet with all of the contest sign-up forms to be filled out and turned into the show office by 6 p.m. on Sunday evening. We appreciate the advisors assisting us with the contest sign-up and it is our hope that this will stream line the sign up process and make it easier by having each state’s contest entries in one place.
- People registration: will begin at 8 a.m. on Sunday, July 6th. People registration will be located next to the EBY Trailer located in the Lower Spine. You will be able to pick up exhibitor packets, "Sweet Meal Deal" punch cards, banquet tickets, show shirts and goodie bags at that time. People registration will also continue on Monday, July 7th from 9 a.m. until noon.
- All exhibitors must wear the official Junior National Hereford Expo show shirts in the showring. These shirts will be available during people registration and the color this year is Turquoise. Each exhibitor who entered an animal will be given one free show shirt compliments of the Host States, plus the additional shirts they ordered; additional shirts will be available for purchase at people registration, those shirts are $15 per shirt.
- The Hereford Photo Shop is back at this year’s show. The office will be located right outside of the Equine Arena in the lower spine. Come by to purchase the memories that you made while attending this year’s JNHE. Take advantage of the show special by ordering your prints the same day of the show. Picture orders will be processed each evening throughout the week.
- Live Auctions will be broadcasting the show online. Please let all your family that is not able to be in Harrisburg know that the show will be broadcasted on LiveAuctions.TV.
- Become a fan of the National Junior Hereford Association on Facebook and jrhereford on Twitter and Instagram. Don’t forget about the HEREFORD EVENTS app that you can download through the Apple App Store or Google Play to stay plugged into all the happenings of the Junior National Hereford Expo.
Have a safe trip. We will see you in Harrisburg!