The C-Blast Has a New Look!
The c-blast: monthly news from the CMS has a new look! We hope you like our new look! And that you find it easier to access and read!
|CMS Important Dates: |
July 4: Independence Day - All CMS branches closed (no lessons)
July 25: Last Day of the Summer Semester
*Some teachers summer schedules may vary. Please check with your individual lesson teacher to confirm your last day of summer lessons.
July 27: YPCO/YPSO audition application deadline
August 11-17: Walk-in Fall Registration for new students
August 17: String Ensemble, String Orchestra & Jazz Lab Ensemble audition application deadline
August 20: Fall lessons begin
August 27: PREP Program audition application deadline
Cello Fest Master Class
with Tanya Carey
Nationally recognized cellist and pedagogue, Tanya Carey, will present a series of cello master classes at the CMS Center on July 16-18. The master classes are free and open to the public.
Schedule of events:
July 16 Master Class: 1-3:30 p.m.
July 17 Master Classes: 9:30 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 1-3:30 p.m.
July 18 Master Class: 9:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Click here for more info about Dr. Carey!
For more info or questions about the Cello Fest call 314-968-5939.
Audition Applications for Orchestras & Ensembles are Currently Being Accepted
Band and string students ages 7 years through high school are encouraged to audition for the School's orchestra or ensembles including String Ensemble, String Orchestra, Young People's Concert or Symphonic Orchestras, Preparatory Program (chamber music), Jazz Lab Ensemble, and Percussion Ensemble.
Requirements are included in the Audition Booklet. Orchestras and ensembles rehearse weekly at the Community Music School's headquarters at 535 Garden Avenue in Webster Groves.
Audition Application deadlines begin as early as July 27. Audition Applications and deadlines may be found online at webster.edu/cms/orchestras/auditions.shtml
or by calling (314) 968-5939.
The CMS provides opportunities to participate in multiple performances. These programs are structured to enhance students' skills beyond individual performance and to support the education process in school music programs.
Time to Re-Enroll for Fall
Re-enrollment forms for fall 2012 are available online and at all CMS branch locations.
If you haven't already re-enrolled please visit: surveymonkey.com/s/F12reenroll
or pick one up at your branch today!
New! Paper Statement Option Available
|The CMS is pleased to offer the option for families to receive paper billing statements. The online billing system will be available for all families to use. If you elect to receive mailed statements, they will be sent once per month when there is a balance due on your account. |
To sign-up to receive paper statements fill out an online form:
or inquire at your branch location.
Student, Alumni & Faculty Kudos:
Craig Butler, bassoon (YPSO & D. Bauer) was accepted into Interlochen Summer Arts Camp this summer.
The following students participated in the National High School Honors Orchestra in April 2012:
- Ginna Doyle, violin (Gurevich) selected as concertmaster
- Alex Groesch, cello (Lehr & PREP)
- Timothy Kampen, cello (Lehr, PREP & YPSO)
- Taylor Kloha, flute (YPSO)
- Ben Park, cello (Lehr & PREP)
- Matthew Sprague, violin (PREP)
- Christopher Wang, oboe & English horn (PREP)
Ginna Doyle, violin (Gurevich) received Superior ratings at District & State Solo & Ensemble.
CMS bassoon instructor, Donita Bauer, has been named Interim Director of Music for Eden Seminary.
CMS violin instructor, Marc Thayer, traveled to Thailand to work with young musicians.
Read about Marc's adventures:
With permission from the St. Louis Beacon.
Concerts & Musical Events Happening Around St. Louis....
- July 6 & 7, 8 p.m.: Union Avenue Opera presents Un Ballo in Maschera by Verdi at Union Avenue Christian Church. Ticket prices vary. For more info or to purchase tickets visit: unionavenueopera.org/. Featuring several CMS instructors in the orchestra.
- Sundays, July 8, 15 & 22, 7:30 p.m.: The Gateway Festival Orchestra will present a series of outdoor concerts at the Brookings Quadrangle on Washington University's campus. Pre-concert discussion begins at 7 p.m. The concerts are FREE & open to the public. Bring your lawn chairs & blankets. Featuring several CMS instructors. CMS cello student Grant Riew (Lehr & PREP) will perform a solo on July 15. For more info visit: gatewayfestivalorchestra.org/.
- Wednesdays, July 11, 18 & 25, 9:30 a.m.: Tower Grove Children's Concert Series presents an interactive and educational forum for children to learn about and explore different musical styles at the Piper Palm House in Tower Grove Park. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. FREE & open to the public. Featuring several CMS instructors. For more info visit: towergrovepark.org/
470 E. Lockwood Ave. (mail) | St. Louis, MO 63119
The Community Music School is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, and is a certified member of the National Guild for Community Arts Education. The Community Music School receives assistance from the Arts and Education Council of Greater Saint Louis and support from the Regional Arts Commission of St. Louis. Financial assistance for this project has been provided by the Missouri Arts Council, a state agency. The Preparatory Program is supported in part by an award from the National Endowment for the Arts.