Like many Americans, you may be planning to have a festive Fourth of July. Along with pool parties and barbeques, no July holiday celebration would be complete without enjoying the fireworks that celebrate the birth of our nation.
However, unlike people, pets don't associate the noise, flashes, and burning smell of pyrotechnics with celebrations and often panic at the loud whizzes and bangs they produce. More pet's go missing this time of year than any other as they frantically run in fear to escape the commotion and chaos that these festivities bring. Here are some helpful tips to keep your pet happy, healthy, and safe this 4th of July.
1. Going to a parade or fireworks display? Keep
your pet at home
2. NEVER use fireworks around your pet
3. Don't put insect repellant on your pet that
isn't specifically used for a pet
4. Alcoholic drinks poison pets.
Do not let them
drink anything but water
5. Have your pet properly identified with a name
tag and microchip
6. Keep your pet away from glow jewelry. The
chemicals inside can be harmful to your pet
7. Keep track of your pet's whereabouts with
doors opening and closing with the movement
Don't give your pet "table food"
9. Lighter fluid and matches are harmful to
your pet so keep it away from him/her
10.Citronella insect control products can harm
Enjoy the summer fun upon us and the festivities that it brings, and remember...create an atmosphere that everyone will enjoy, including Fido:)
For more information on how to keep your pet safe this holiday, please visit