A new term has emerged to describe two aspects of the journey to the cloud:
describes the tools and services that enable hybrid and multi-cloud solutions. This means we now have a product category for
focuses on sharing and controlling documents across multiple internal and external repositories. We developed it in reaction to a trend we saw in document management. Many organizations have spent years categorizing data and streamlining transactional systems. Unstructured data in documents has, historically, been less well managed. Organizations had begun to collect documents into DMS's and figure out how to deliver them to controlled mobile devices.
Then the cloud came along, and customers, clients and suppliers demanded the use of cloud file sharing. Suddenly, documents were everywhere, and other places too. This kind of cloud chaos has profound implications for risk and reputation management, and produces unpredictable swings in productivity. For sure, it produces a situation where the status of documents and document collections is less certain. It diminishes the role of in-house repositories as the single source of truth for the project, matter or deal.
addresses this dilemma by providing a single view across all the repositories without changing the way they are used or duplicating documents.
We have been providing
as a Cloud Broker for a while, and have developed a set of 10 principles to steer what we do.
Cloud Broker services for documents must be:
- Content Centric: The system, not the end user, should manage the difference between in-house and cloud repositories.
- Cross-Platform Functional: This is all about enabling working form anywhere.
- Mobile 1st:
- a) O365 Apps
- b) Mobile Apps
- c) Responsive web access
- Backward Compatible: Adding cloud capabilities to the portfolio, not forcing strategic choices.
- Cloud Savvy & Inclusive. Leveraging the benefits of the cloud and being intelligent about controlling and auditing activity. e.g. tracking how work content is used in the cloud while avoiding collecting information about personal connect; pictures of the kids etc.
- Able to Embrace trust and verify social contracts. Make the technical solution a perfect partner for Information Security education and awareness.
- Simple & Secure. Layer security and audit capabilities invisibly on top of the diverse universe of underlying repository based security mechanisms. Make the user and administrator's lives simpler.
- Agile & Remote. Separate the view and the workflow from the repository. Store the document where you feel it will be safe and secure but enable agility by opening up that location to all the tools you have.
- Unintrusive & Organized. Leave things where they are. Avoid duplication and "replication spaghetti."
- Safe. i.e. "Don't mess with the repository." Make sure that all the great tools provided inside each repository keep working.
By taking this approach, we are able to bring our capabilities to every repository, including the ones you prefer to use.