Good morning! Hope everyone enjoyed the festivities last week, commemorating the adoption of The Declaration of Independence; celebrating our rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness! Speaking of "pursuit" if you are actively job searching, have an up coming interview and are in a tough financial situation, we have a resource to connect you with free, almost new professional attire. Recently, LSVA has partnered with Dress for Success; an organization committed to assisting women job seekers without the means to buy new clothing. Our contact for LSVA women members is Reyna Banfill, Reyna@LoneStarVeterans.org.
Thinking about becoming an entrepreneur? How about learning from a Green Beret, who started his own company at the age of 16, was awarded the International Global Leadership award, was a member of the Young Presidents Organization, one of the founders of the World Presidents Organization, became a bank director 12 years out of college, while in college paid off his tuition by starting 5 companies, and 6 more when he got out of college, two of which became public. Mr. Bill Cox wants to empower veterans who seek to become entrepreneurs with the knowledge and secrets to success that he has gained over a lucrative career as an entrepreneur. Click here for more information.
National convention diversity career fair today! Join us at the George R. Brown Convention Center, 1001 Avenida De Las Americas, on July 10 from 12pm - 6pm & on July 11 from 10am -4pm. This event is FREE and open to ALL job seekers, entry level and above. Be sure to bring your resume!
Come out on today to meet the Sugar Land LSVA Group! We will be meeting at 7:00 at The Flying Saucer at Town Square. The Flying Saucer has a wide variety of beers on tap and is great place to meet the local veterans.
- Grace after fire for women veterans. Join us in cycle one session one for a time of healing, group discussion and reflection through structured, positive interaction with trained facilitators and fellow women Veterans. Table Talk color me camo will empower, inspire, and instill women with the first catalyst to self-renewal.
- LSVA Street Team Bicycle Club, July Club Ride - Sunday 7/15 9AM. Join us for a leisurely tour of Buffalo Bayou, Downtown, the Warehouse District, and the Heights. We'll stop off at Dona Maria's for a breakfast taco. dona maria Houston 13.5 route that is a mix of paved trails and city streets. Map: July Taco Ride. The first 18 new members to RSVP and ride will receive a swanky new Street Team t-shirt!
For veterans that identify themselves as a member or ally of the LGBTQ community.
It is time to meet new veterans and get together to enjoy a new monthly LGBTQ social event! This Sunday July 15th there will be a concert, food, drinks and a drag show at The Vue in downtown Houston. A select number of tickets have been provided for veterans, so please RSVP with Reyna@lonestarveterans.org.We look forward to seeing you there!
- Next Warrior 4 Life Employment Networking Luncheon is July 19. We start at 10:30 with a presentation, networking at 11:30, and lunch beginning at 12:00.Every lunch is located at Masraff's restaurant, in the Galleria area. The address is 1735 Post Oak Blvd, Houston, TX 77056. The closet intersection is San Felipe, just west of the 610 Loop. For more info or to register contact Richard@lonestarveterans.org
Live Your Best Life
What is the Warrior's Roundtable? Its where one learns how to navigate your way through life through amazing days and through tough days. Improve personal and professional relationships. Become more efficient and a better decision maker, never get stressed out again. This month's focus is on creating and strengthening relationships and is geared towards couples. The three part series will be held at the University of St Thomas/ Dinner provided between 600-630pm. Parking will be reimbursed.
First part of this series is this Thursday, 7/12/2012 6:30 PM-8:30 PM at the University of St. Thomas in the Malloy Building, Room 016.
Map of UST.
Since this a pilot, the feedback you bring to the seminar will be help create the foundation for a program that meets the needs of transitioning veterans across the U.S.
RSVP with Tony Solomon or call 832.408.0411.
- Veterans Crisis Line: 1800 273-8255
- Congratulations to Mr. Richard Denney. Yesterday he was awarded a Mission Continues Fellowship to serve veterans with their career transition needs. We look forward to his experience and leadership and if you have any questions about our career transition program, feel free to contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Save the date: August 7, VA Educational Benefits Seminar/Webinar. Come in person or log in and ask questions to a panel of VA and school reps concerning your specific educational benefits. Stay tuned for more info.
The Navigator Program
LSVA Navigators are veterans who volunteer their time to mentor veterans through their transition. From career transition, VA benefits and claims, education advice, and general guidance about veteran issues. This unique program gives veterans personal advice and guidance about what resources are available to them in the greater Houston area. If you would like to talk to a Navigator about any issues or problems you are having, please fill out this contact form