The Louisiana Developmental Disabilities Council is now accepting applications for the Louisiana Citizens for Action Now (LaCAN) Team Leader for Region 4 (Acadia, Evangeline, Iberia, Lafayette, St. Landry, St. Martin, and Vermilion parishes).
Our current Region 4 LaCAN Team Leader, Mauricia Walters, has been a strong leader and advocate for many years. She has recently accepted a full-time position at Families Helping Families of Acadiana. We wish her all the best in her new role!
More on being a Regional Team Leader...
Being a LaCAN Leader is not a job; it's a mission.
LaCAN Leaders do what they do on behalf of others.
They are not afraid to ask for what is right.
LaCAN Leader responsibilities include:
- ensuring the retention and engagement of regional LaCAN members in order to increase the size and activity level of the grassroots network
- recruiting of new members
- assisting to members in developing relationships with their legislators, carrying out action alerts, and engaging in legislative advocacy
- organizing regional LaCAN activities (i.e., legislative visits, round tables, membership meetings/outreach)
Applicants should have:
- excellent oral and written communication skills
- excellent organizational skills
- proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
- public speaking experience
- (paid or non-paid) experience working/advocating with the legislature
- an unwavering belief that ALL people with disabilities, regardless of the severity of the disability, can and should live in their own home in the community with appropriate supports
- an unwavering belief that people with disabilities should not be segregated
Contractual agreement for up to 80 hrs/mo
Starting Pay: $10-11/hr depending on experience
Those interested in applying should send a cover letter, resume, and the names of 3 professional references to:
Brandi Lin Jones
Program Monitor / LMSW
La Developmental Disabilities Council
P.O. Box 3455
Baton Rouge, LA 70821
Please direct questions to Brandi at 225-342-6804 or at the email address listed above.