Los Angeles | San Francisco | Washington, DC | Philadelphia
Visit our website at Labor411foundation.org
Its Ethical Consumer Day!
Dear Ethical Consumer,
We have so many fun and easy ways for you to make a difference each and every day, empowering you with every $1 you spend, that we had to name a day after us. But a day wasnt nearly enough, so we made it a whole week of celebration.
We have over 10,001 ethical products and services from Tootsie Rolls to Dove soap and Blue Moon beer to Aleve headache relief to choose from to make your life better, and help create good jobs in your community.
By harnessing our considerable consumer buying power (we spend $12 TRILLION a year), we can create hundreds of thousands of good, well-paying jobs, protect the middle class and strengthen our economy. We dont need to wait for legislators in Washington, DC to act, we can do it on our own, each and every day.
Were doing such good work, the Los Angeles City Council presented us with a proclamation, officially making April 11, 2017 Ethical Consumer Day. We hope you will join us, so your everyday decisions count.
Heres the proclamation:
WHEREAS, unions are responsible for creating the middle class; and
WHEREAS, families benefit when parents have good jobs, and when families benefit, entire communities benefit, and when entire communities benefit, the entire country benefits; and
WHEREAS, only a strong middle class can sustain economic growth; and
WHEREAS, economic inequality hurts the middle class; and
WHEREAS, all seniors deserve a safe and comfortable retirement; and
WHEREAS, union made goods are higher quality; and
WHEREAS, socially responsible businesses are in high public demand;
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that consumers and lawmakers should support high road businesses that treat their workers fairly by declaring April 11 as Ethical Consumer Day!
Labor 411 staff, Robert Fulton, Kelly Ross and Spike Dolomite Ward with Councilman Bob Blumenfield, accepting a proclamation by Mayor Eric Garcetti of the City Los Angeles, declaring 4-11 Ethical Consumer Day in Los Angeles. Photo credit Jake Flynn.
Here are a few easy things you can do to celebrate Ethical Consumer Week:
- Head to your local Ralphs, Albertsons, Costco, or any other grocery store listed in our directory for all your household needs. Dont forget to check our directory at labor411.org for a full list of ethically produced goods.
- Grab a beer! All the classics here: Bud, Sam Adams, Coors, Blue Moon and more. With a comprehensive list of over 250 union beers at Labor411.org to choose from, it is easy to drink responsibly!
- Go camping or hiking - our national and state parks support good jobs and there are plenty of supplies that are made by ethical employers.
- Indulge in some sweet treats. Youll find Sees, Butterfinger, Red Vines, Tootsie Rolls and whole lot more at the Labor 411 online guide.
- Share on social media. Check out Labor 411 on Facebook and Twitter and spread the word about Ethical Consumer Week using the hash tag #ECW.
- Take a selfie. Snap a pic with an ethical product and post it with hashtags #buyblue, #ethicalconsumerweek and #ECW.
Spike Dolomite Ward
Labor 411 Foundation