Last Week to SAVE with EARLY BIRD RATE Arizona "Back to School & More" Autism/Asperger's Conference
September 13-14, 2012 | Phoenix Convention Center
Featuring Keynotes Paula Kluth, PhD
Elizabeth Laugeson PhD
with over 20 other great local and national speakers!
"Paula Kluth is one of the very top experts on educating children with autism, and has published six excellent books in this area. This is a great opportunity to hear from one of the very best speakers on educating children with autism."
"Elizabeth Laugeson is one of the leading experts on social skills for children with autism. She consults with California's Regional Centers (the equivalent of DDD) on how to create quality social programs for children and adults with autism. Come and learn how to create great social programs!" James B. Adams, President
You do not want to miss it!
For Information or to download a schedule click here. To download the registration form click here.
Paula Kluth, PhD, Thursday Keynote
|Ask autism expert Paula Kluth: Can inclusion work for my child in high school?|
Keynote: You're Going to Love this Kid! : Educating Students with Autism in Inclusive Schools
Additional Sessions with Paula Kluth, PhD
- Joyful Learning
- A Land We Can Share - Teaching Literacy
|Autism: Social Skills for Autism|
Keynote: The Science of Making Friends: Evidence-Based Social Skills Training for Adolescents and Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders
Additional Sessions with Elizabeth Laugeson, PhD
- Evidence-Based Approaches for Handling Bullying and Other Peer Conflicts
- The Science of Conversational Skills:
Featured Tracks Include:
Thursday, September 13, 2012
- Natural Environment Training - Amberlyn Frey, MA, BCBA, & Lisa Stewart MA, BCBA Natural Environment Training utilizes the child's natural environment and their motivation for the items surrounding them to teach new skills and concepts in natural contexts. In this presentation you will learn how to implement natural environment training within your daily life with your child and how to target skills such as language and communication, social interactions and reducing maladaptive behaviors.
- Anat Baniel Movement Therapy- Anat Baniel, MA Learn about the 9 Essentials of the Anat Baniel Method to awaken the remarkable capacities of the brain of the child with autism to heal and learn. Replacing repetitive exercises discover science based cutting edge practical tools that can be used at home or adopted to any therapeutic modality that will help the brain of the child on the Autism Spectrum self organize at higher levels, catapulting the child to be able to feel, understand, move, and think in ways that seemed unattainable before.
- The STEP Room: Stepping into Differentiated Programming Gina Griffiths, MSW. and Tim Smetana Adults with autism are often lumped into programs with individuals diagnosed with a myriad of other developmental disabilities, but their needs are drastically different. STARS has developed The STEP Room to implement a differentiated program model for participants on the autism spectrum. The STEP Room incorporates multiple best practice models and a structured curriculum to work towards three main goals: increased vocational & life skill development, decreased negative behaviors and increased participant satisfaction.
- Vocational Rehabilitation Program-Dan E. Burns, PhD
Several staff from Vocational Rehabilitation services (RSA) will explain the services that are available to teens and adults with autism, how to apply for them, and answer questions from the audience. Services include career exploration, vocational training, supported education, job development, job placement, and job coaching.
- Watching Movies to Build Social Understanding* Watching Movies to Build Social Understanding- Anna Vagin, PhD.
Movie Time Social Learning teaches social cognition concepts using popular movies. Levels and tasks appropriate for preschool through high school children will be outlined, as well as crucial nonverbal, visual and verbal supports. Multiple video clips will show examples of mediating strategies as well as individual and group movie work.
- Using Electronic Media as Social Cognition Material-Anna Vagin, PhD.
Popular movies, television shows, and other electronic media provide wonderful material for work in social cognition. Having a plan before hitting play is crucial. This presentation will help you structure work to match IEP goals and clarify how you can support learning in the moment and track progress over time.
Speech Therapy and Applied Behavioral Analysis, a Perfect Partnership
Nicolette Judge, M.S., CCC-SLP & Carrey Burgess, BCBA
In the presentation participants will learn: Methods to overcome behavioral obstacles in order to teach communication and language. How deficits in speech and language development can be improved using principles are applied behavior analysis. How to foster an improved, collaborative service delivery model.
Special Session: 3:30- 5:00 p.m. -Adult Residential Communities- Dan E. Burns, PhD
Burns will discuss his development of a new residential and vocational program in Texas for adults with autism, modeled on the successful Autism Trust program in England, and share his vision of the creation of similar programs across the US.
Friday, September 14, 2012
- Back to School Checklist for Special Education
- Community College Options
- How do we Minimize the impact of Autism and Behavior and Increase on Task Behavior and Learning?
- How to Successfully Manage Problematic Behavior in the Classroom Through Redirection and Positive Reinforcement
- How I Would Have Liked to Have Been Taught
- Healing Autism with Diet and Nutrition
- DNA Sequencing of Gut Bacteria in Children with Autism vs. Controls
- Latest Research on Medical, Nutritional, and Dietary Treatments for Autism
For full schedule and talk descriptions, click here