For Immediate Release
June 14, 2017
Consulate press contact: Rafael Ruiz
Launch of the Consular Assistance Special Campaign for Mexican Nationals in Central Texas
The Consulate General of Mexico in Austin is pleased to announce
the launch of the Consular Assistance Special Campaign for Mexican Nationals in Central Texas, a new effort sponsored by the Mexican Government to promote "know your rights" seminars, US citizenship workshops, financial education clinics, and individual consultations with immigration attorneys, among other services.
This initiative is the result of extraordinary resources allocated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Mexico to its consular network in the United States. In Austin, funds will be used in a capacity building effort to better protect the rights and interests of Mexican nationals within the Consulate's jurisdiction.
The main activities and programs that are part of the campaign are:
- Know Your Rights Information sessions. Attendees of these sessions will receive information about their rights, what to do in case of detention by an authority, and information about SB4.
- Immigration screening consultations with immigration attorneys.Through an individualized screening consultation, a person will be able to talk to an immigration attorney to find out if he/she qualifies for any type of immigration relief. The person will receive legal counsel as to his or her potential options, and what next steps to follow.
- Naturalization clinics. At these clinics, Legal Permanent Residents who qualify will receive legal assistance to apply for U.S. citizenship.
- Emergency preparedness clinics. Attendees to these clinics will receive information on how to protect their children and properties in case of deportation proceedings. They will receive assistance executing powers of attorney forms, and other legal instruments, as needed. They will also receive useful information in case they decide to return to Mexico.
- The Financial Assistance Window. This service, located within the Consulate, will provide training and guidance on how to protect patrimony, as well as cultural and linguistically appropriate financial and educational advice with the purpose of increasing financial literacy among the immigrant community.
All services offered will be free of charge to participants. This work would not be possible without the collaboration of several organizations and attorneys throughout Central Texas, including:
- American Gateways;
- Asociación de Restauranteros Mexicanos de Texas;
- Casa Marianella;
- Catholic Charities of Central Texas;
- De Mott, McChesney, Curtright and Armendáriz, LLP (DMCA);
- Economic Growth Business Incubato;
- Education Austin;
- Equal Justice Center;
- Foundation Communities;
- Hispanic Alliance;
- Lincoln - Goldfinch Law;
- Migrant Clinician Network;
- Mis Cuentas;
- RAICES Texas;
- The Law Office of Yohana Saucedo, P.C.;
- The Lyttle Law Firm; and
- Volunteer Legal Services
Mexican and other Latino immigrants interested in knowing more about the campaign or how to take advantage of this opportunity for free services should register at the Consulate's website
, under the Protección tab (Centro de Defensoría).