Recycle Smart
July 2017

Schedule Your Appointment

Household Hazardous Waste Event
August 10
1:00 pm - 7:00 pm





Appointments are required for all HHW events and can be made: 
  1. Online using the scheduling system at
  2.  By calling the RecycleSmart hotline at 231-941-5555
NON-RESIDENTS (businesses, organizations, schools, etc.)
  1. Download the 2017 CESQG Registration and Certification form.
  2. Download the 2017 CESQG Hazardous Materials Inventory Worksheet. 
  3. Appointments are required. Call the RecycleSmart Hotline at 231-941-5555 to register for an HHW event. (CESQGs are NOT allowed to make an online appointment). 
  4. Not sure if you are a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG)? Review the State of Michigan guidelines here. 
What can you bring to a Household Hazardous Waste event? Click here

Click here for more information about proper paint disposal.
Learn Before You Burn

The Solid Waste Advisory Committee (SWAC) of Northwest Lower Michigan reminds residents and visitors of Grand Traverse County that state and local laws prohibit open burning of many materials.
What is Open Burning? 
Open burning is the burning of materials or debris by which smoke and emissions are released directly into the air, rather than through a chimney and/or the combustion of solid waste is not adequately controlled.

Michigan State law does not allow the  open burning of household trash that contains plastic, rubber, foam, chemically treated wood, textiles, electronics, chemicals or hazardous materials.  Additionally,  commercial and construction waste, pressure-treated lumber, structures slated for demolition, unwanted furniture, old appliances and scrap tires are not allowed to be openly burned in Michigan.
Open burning pollutes the air and nearby soil and water, aggravates respiratory health conditions, and releases extremely toxic chemicals (such as arsenic) directly into the environment. Repeated burning results in future exposures for wildlife, potentially increased cancer risk in humans, and health and safety risks to neighbors within a few hundred feet of an open burn.
Burn Permits
The burning of trees, logs, brush , and stumps may be allowed by first obtaining a burn permit. Many burn permits simply require a short phone call with a DNR or local municipality representative. Visit for more information.

Find out who needs a burn permit or who does not by clicking here

For assistance learning how to recycle or properly dispose of unwanted items, call the RecycleSmart hotline 231-941-9555 or search  the  Take It Back Recycling Directory.
Not Sure What To Do With Your Stuff?

The T ake-It-Back Recycling Directory  is searchable  a nd  int u itive! Learn where to reuse, recycle,  retu rn, compost, donate or throw away your unwanted items.  Click here to go to the directory. 

RecycleSmart is the Resource Recovery program of Grand Traverse County, Michigan

Operated under contract by Iris Waste Diversion Specialists, Inc.

231-941-5555 | |