Design can be art. Design can be aesthetics. Design is so simple, that's why it is so complicated. -- Paul Rand
OUR CURRENT EXHIBITION:
Through June 3, 2012
Stories in Form: Chair Design by Portfolio Center
This spring, the Museum of Design Atlanta (MODA), in partnership with Portfolio Center, presents an exhibition honoring history and design through the medium of the chair. Stories in Form: Chair Design by the Portfolio Center runs February 5 through June 3, 2012.
For more information about this exhibition, click here.
Drink in Design: Thursday, May 31
Tricks of the Trade
Join us for a very special Drink in Design on Thursday, May 31 from 6-9pm. Yes, you'll need an extra hour for this event!
Are you looking to learn a new skill? Do you have questions about particular hobby? Love talking to people who spend their time doing fascinating things? Then, this is the event for you!
During Tricks of the Trade, MODA will create a non-traditional learning environment. Our galleries will be filled with local artists, designers, and craftspeople eager to share the tricks of their trades as they answer questions about their areas of expertise.
Your evening will include a wide variety of learning opportunities, not least of which are the following:
- Are you tired of drinking boring beers? Maybe you should start brewing your own. A representative from Hop City will be here to help you get started.
- Do you have more flowers in your garden than you know what to do with? Elaine Jo will demonstrate Ikebana, the Japanese art of flower arrangement.
- Do you envy all of those fabulous folks wearing super cute scarves and beanies? That could be you. The Atlanta Knitting Guild can answer all of your knitting questions.
- If you are looking for a unique gift for a friend or loved one, how about making some jewelry. Khatia Esartia, Atlanta based jewelry designer, will demonstrate how to create your own fashion jewelry.
- Could you benefit from basic sketching skills to get idea across to your colleagues or win that game of Pictionary? Mindy Spritz of the Spruill Center for the Arts will teach patrons the basics of sketching a still life.
- Looking to get more exercise? Get a taste of Pole Dancing from Bodytalk Exotic Dance.
- And many more!
So, join us in the galleries for a glass of wine and the opportunity to meet local creatives and to be inspired by their work. Tickets are available at the door or can be purchased in advance by clicking here.
Advance tickets are available by clicking here.
Saturday, May 31, 2pm
From Page to Stage
Serenbe Playhouse is a pioneer in modeling Green Theatre Practices by producing plays with a commitment to social responsibility and environmental stewardship. All productions are performed outdoors, in concert with Nature; re-purposing existing structures; incorporating reclaimed and recycled materials with a goal of minimizing a production's waste and impact on the environment.
Spend an afternoon in conversation with Theatrical Designer, Brandon R. McWilliams, and Serenbe Playhouse Artistic Director, Brian Clowdus, as they speak on the process of creating evocative theatrical design with a strong environmental conscious.
To purchase advance tickets (seating is limited), click here.
LEGO Robotics Experience
Want your child to do something unique and absolutely cool? How about building and designing robots using LEGOs?
At campMODA, students 6-14 years old learn basic robotic engineering, programming principals, and science, technology, engineering and math concepts while having fun!
Your child's natural curiosity and ingenuity will help them envision possibilities and develop innovative solutions to difficult technology problems.
Registration is open for Summer Camps.
Coming Soon! June 16 - September 16, 2012
Skate It or Hang It!? The Evolution of Skateboard Art
Skate It or Hang It!? will be held at the Museum of Design Atlanta (MODA) from June 16, 2012 to September 16, 2012.
The exhibition will examine the visual aspects skateboarding, a sport important to contemporary youth culture since the 1970s, by presenting a broad range of styles, imagery, and visual expression in skateboard art.
The exhibition and its associated events include:
- A survey of skateboard art from the 1970s to the present day
- Original installations by Atlanta-based artists Alex Brewer (aka HENSE) and Charlie Owens
- Interviews with VCJ, Jim Phillips, and Sean Cliver
- Art by Sean Cliver, Andy Howell, Wes Humpston, Lance Mountain, Michael Sieben, and Steve Olson
- An exhibition demonstrating the steps by which skateboard decks are fabricated
- A 9 foot interactive skateboard sticker exhibition
On opening day, June 16, MODA will sponsor an exciting series of events!
- Skate Peachtree, a skateboard parade from the Fox Theater to MODA (11-11:30am)
- Skate demo on Peachtree by the 5Boro Crew from NYC (11:30am-12:45pm)
- Exhibition on display and personal appearances by artists Sean Cliver, Andy Howell, Wes Humpston, Lance Mountain, Michael Sieben, and Steve Olson (1pm-5pm) Avoid the line by buying advance tickets now!
- Skate It, Hang It, or Drink It Afterparty at the W Midtown (from 8pm onwards)
Exhibition curated by W. Todd Vaught.
MODA is located at 1315 Peachtree Street NE, Atlanta, GA 30309.
Hours of Admission:
10-5 Tuesdays - Saturdays
12-5 on Sundays
Open late, until 8pm, on the last Thursday of each month for Drink in Design.
$10: Adult admission
$5: Children 6-17 years
$5: Students (with valid student id's)
$8: Seniors and military
MODA members receive complimentary admission