My name is Dr. Eileen Sullivan, the Dean of Academic Affairs and Student Services at NGS. I am delighted to welcome our new 1016 students to the Bachelor of Science (BSc) Degree Completion Program, Master of Science (MS) Degree Program, and Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) Program. I am also pleased to acknowledge all of our currently enrolled students who form our NGS community of learners.
I introduced myself during your Orientation course and I have had the pleasure of interacting with some of you. This is the first of my quarterly letters to all NGS students, and I hope you find the contents informative. The purpose of these letters is to personalize your experience here at NGS, as well as ensure that you understand our academic policies and are informed about technology and news updates. Here at NGS, our doors are always open. Should you ever have an academic question about the course you are enrolled, the correct contact person is the faculty of record (i.e.
faculty member teaching the course). Financial Aid questions should be directed to Jay Beirne (
). Technology questions (i.e.
Portal, emails, passwords)
to Elaine Moore (
). Pippi Sawyer (
), our DBA Program Director is eager to assist with DBA questions and Maura Burke (
), BSc & MS Program Director, is the right person to contact for BSc and MS questions.
Please allow me to take this opportunity to recognize our outstanding Program Chairs. Program Chairs serve as faculty leaders for your degree programs. They also teach courses in addition to managing much of the curriculum and faculty development work. They
are also happy assist
your degree specific
, academic questions.
Some updates from our different departments:
Academic Affairs Update (From Eileen Sullivan)
- Catalog and Student Handbook 2016-2017. Be sure to review the Catalog and Student Handbook, and make yourself aware of essential information regarding your program, NGS policies, and administration details (on the portal and on our NGS website). There are also many other resources here: http://ngs.edu/information-for-current-students/
- Please also be sure to use your NGS email to communicate with your professors and NGS. Per the Learning Agreement contract: "I acknowledge that The National Graduate School has provided me with the opportunity to attain a college
account and to enroll in the NGS Portal for my courses. I also acknowledge that The National Graduate School's e-mail account is the formal method of communication with the school and I am therefore responsible to obtain and actively monitor
conveyed via BOTH of these forms of technology."
Technology Update (From Elaine Moore)
- NGS is in the process of upgrading our Student Information System and Learning Management System. There is no need to do anything, but you will become aware and enjoy the new look and functionality in the near future.
- Email information: There is a link to your student email login in your Orientation Course. You were emailed an NGS email address and a password. If you need assistance recovering your school account or password, please contact email@example.com.
Enrollment Management Update (From John Alonso)
- The October cohort launch
all programs is only weeks away - please refer anyone who may have
in NGS programs to the Enrollment team at 800-838-2580 x505 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Library Services (From Cecilia Mullen)
- NGS has both a virtual library and real live librarian! Access to the Virtual Library is on the Student Resources tab
Your live librarian is Cecilia
is available to help guide you in your literature searching and research efforts. Don't hesitate to contact her at email@example.com.
- You will find the Virtual Library in the Portal under the Student Resources tab. NGS subscribes to two of the ProQuest databases that have been selected for the needs of NGS students and faculty. They are the comprehensive ProQuest Dissertations and Theses and ABI/Inform Collection. The first includes dissertations and theses from institutions throughout the world and the second covers both trade and professional journals in the business and management fields. It is not completely full text as is PQDT, but it has mostly full text articles and many are peer reviewed. In addition NGS subscribes OmniFile Full Text Select which complements ABI/inform by providing coverage of journals across multiple academic disciplines, with about 3/4 of these in full text and a high percentage in scholarly journals.
- I am happy to help both faculty and students with our databases and research strategies to find needed published literature. I am available by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to talking with you. Cecilia Mullen.
Did you know that...?
- The NGS website has a blog for students, faculty and staff to connect and interact? Visit the blog page to share your thoughts about courses and programs, or to tell the NGS community about conferences and seminars. Subscribe to make sure you know when a new blog gets posted. You can find the NGS blog page at: http://ngs.edu/about-the-national-graduate-school-of-quality-management/blog/ (upper left hand corner).
- NGS has an active Facebook Page called The National Graduate School of Quality Management? Like the page and get notifications from the School and post pictures of your teams and cohorts.
- We also have a Twitter account? Follow us @NGSedu and join in on the discussions.
The quality of your education and academic experience is our top priority. Dive into your course work and enjoy your studies and time with your fellow classmates and our dynamic faculty. We are here to assist should you need us. Contact me with any ideas you might want to see included in these open letters, too. We look forward to supporting your academic and personal success at The National Graduate School. Take care and talk soon.