In 2014 the Province of Alberta released the Alberta Public Swimming Pools Regulation AR 204/2014 (Regulation) and Pool Standards, July 2014 (Standards). The Regulation came into force two years ago today on November 30, 2014. The Regulation is intended to set outcomes and standards for the safe operation of pools and to reduce the risk of injury and drowning. The Regulation also includes protection against entrapment and the safety and supervision of patrons. The Standards, referenced in the Regulation, set specific technical standards pertaining to water quality and facility operation. The new Regulations and Standards include recommendations that owners and owner's agents are required to incorporate into their Anti-Entrapment and Safety and Supervision Plans.
The Lifesaving Society has updated our Anti-Entrapment Plan and Safety and Supervision Plan templates to align with the 2014 Regulation and Standards. Aquatic facility owners and their agents can download the Anti-Entrapment Plan and Safety and Supervision Plan templates at no cost from the Safety Services landing page on our website (
Aquatic Procedure Manual Templates
). The Society has also created an Aquatic Procedure Manual Templates banner on the bottom of our websites' home page that also links to the templates.
These standardized templates will assist aquatic facility owners and their agents in developing comprehensive Anti-Entrapment and Safety and Supervision Plans for their facility. Examples of content are included throughout the templates to assist owners and owner's agents in the creation of the Plans.
The Lifesaving Society is currently working on future templates to be added as additional modules to the Aquatic Procedure Manual in 2017 including a Water Quality Management Plan, Public Education Plan and a Cleaning and Sanitization Plan.
Facility owners and owner's agents should:
- Download the Anti-Entrapment and Safety and Supervision Plan templates from the Lifesaving Society website ~ see the Safety Services landing page.
- Insert facility-specific content into the template to create a facility-specific Anti-Entrapment and Safety and Supervision Plan.
- If you require assistance in developing your Anti-Entrapment and/or Safety and Supervision Plan the Society offers a Plan review service.
- Review the Plans with facility staff and post in an accessible area.
- Provide input on the templates to the Society.