News & Events
November 11 - November 18
Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week 2012
Are you hosting Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week events? Let us know! Please send pictures and updates to email@example.com.
Tweeting about homelessness? #HinMN.
November 15Give to the Max Day
Every gift makes a difference.
Homeless Memorial March
Annual Homeless Day on the Hill
State Capitol - save the date!
2012-2013 Board of Directors
Heidi Johnson McAllister Downtown Congregations to End Homelessness
People Serving People
Cottage Grove City Council
Minneapolis Public Schools
Mary Ulland Evans
Three Rivers Community Action
Greater Twin Cities United Way
Division of Indian Works
Give to the Max Day is November 15!
We have a goal to reach 100 supporters - will you be one of them?
Whether it's $10, $35, or $100, your contributions make a difference.
It is with both excitement and urgency that I begin my term as President of the MCH Board. I am excited about the great work we are doing to create a safe, decent, and affordable place to call home for every Minnesotan; excited about the strategic plan we are implementing; excited about the board and staff and member organizations and supporters that make up the Minnesota Coalition for the Homeless.
But as snow falls on homeless camps across the state, I also feel a deep sense of urgency. People who do not have a place to call home will die outside this winter. Too many children are focused on whether they will be warm at night rather than on their school work. We can do better. We must.
Welcome new board members!
|ThaoMee Xiong, Janine Wenholz, Jen Arzayus, and La Jeanna Fuller. |
The MCH Board is working hard to ensure the organization is strong enough to lead long-term systems change. We are currently seeking volunteers to help fill out our committees. Please contact the appropriate board member if you are interested in helping out. Or, as always, give Liz a call (651.645.7332) or email at the office and she'll get you connected.
Emerging Issues Committee will dig into important issues, identify key partners, think through challenges and opportunities, and report back to the full board on whether there is a role for MCH in working on this issue.
- Wages are insufficient to pay for housing for an increasing number of Minnesotas (contact: Mary Ulland Evans)
- Teen parents have too few resources available to help them succeed (contact: Jen Arzayus)
- Homeless students and school achievement (contact: Mary Ulland Evans)
Board Development Committee will set policies and practices that build on the strength of our incredible board.
Advocacy Committee will investigate new pathways for MCH's advocacy work which has focused on state and federal work for years.
Fundraising Committee will review MCH's current and future fundraising streams and develop a plan for long-term sustainability.
- Assess MCH Membership Rate Structure (Contact: Kathy Suave, Kim Crawford)
- Assess how MCH compares to other advocacy orgs locally and nationally (Contact: Margo Hurrle)
- Evaluate MCH's progress and goals in achieving balance between securing resources from foundations, individuals, and members (Contact:Kathy Sauve, Jeanna Fuller)
Evaluation Committee will set criteria for making sure MCH is doing our job.
- Develop a membership survey to measure our success at advocacy, training, and convening (Contact: Jen Peterson, Senta Leff)
- Develop an assessment tool for evaluating MCH's advocacy work (Contact: Jen Peterson, Senta Leff)
As the board looks at the next 3-5 years, the staff is working very hard on the here and now.
- Today, Liz is meeting with HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan to talk over our concerns with certain parts of the Hearth Act. She's in DC with our partners at the National Low Income Housing Coalition. She'll also be meeting with each member of our congressional delegation to talk about Hearth regs and set the stage for TANF Reauthorization.
- Dan is meeting with newly elected legislators to talk about our $50 million plan to ensure children and youth are stably housed. If you haven't yet joined the sign-on letter, please do!
- Katherine has met with nearly 1/3 of the members already and looks forward to meeting many more in the months ahead.
- Kenza is leading communications and development work.
- We'll soon be announcing another Greater Minnesota staffer to join the good work Amy is doing in Moorhead and Val is doing in Northeast Minnesota!
Thank you for helping to ensure that every person in Minnesota has a safe, decent, affordable place to call home!
Heidi Johnson McAllister,
Downtown Congregations to End Homelessness
MCH Board President